Ticking and Intermittent Valve Noises

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Well I think it may be time for lifters and pushrods. Wish I could just overbuilt an IDIT and be good food a long while, but definitely not in the cards, so I need a cheap fix to insure the engine outlasts the floor of the cab :rolleyes:

I've had a "thumping" sound at idle for a good while, but not a "huffing" and couldn't hear it from anywhere but the driver's seat. There's also been a ticking that changes with RPM that I've heard under everything that has gotten worse. All research had pointed to cracked/broken rings (haven't been able to afford a compression tester or to make one). I pulled the valve covers and insured that all rockers were torqued and looked for obvious signs, I only found the driver's side to be a bit black (same side all the injectors stuck open on after the wreck) and the passenger side so clean that the are some rust deposits in the top peons of the pushrods. Put new valve cover gaskets on and continued to scratch my head and hope that is not valve guides.

On a particularly cold morning, I started the truck and got 20-30 seconds of "gulping" before it went back to thumping, then after getting stuck in my own driveway a few weeks later (2wd, open diff, dually and 2" of ice), I started hearing the "chuffing" from the exhaust. It hasn't done that since then either. So I'm guessing I've got some combination of sticky lifters and worn roller bearings. Sound about right?

I have been running Lucus oil stabilizer at oil changes, but I'm thinking I need to replace the CDR (for now) as I'm getting an oily intake and burning more oil than before. Dumped some seafoam in the oil a few weeks ago hoping it would work something loose (but not anything that shouldn't be!).

I have questions regarding lifters and pushrods.

Are Enginetech lifters consistanly bushings or needle bearings or a crap shoot?

I see IDI pushrods are supposed to be 10" long, but keep seeing replacements advertised as 9.890" Is this actually the same, just being measured without including ball?

And can someone pay to pave my driveway and run electric/pour a floor/insulate my garage? :D

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mines been ticking and intermittent as well but no solve so far haven't torn into it yet. I haven't had any thumping noises though and at won't point I think I could hear it from the exhaust but not anymore and I maybe was just hearing things. Hopefully you find out what it is!

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
I'm hoping so too! I just hope it's not anything that will necessitate head removal. Other than having to borrow a host, I don't have anyplace to work on it until the mud season is over. Then there's the "while I'm in there syndrome" (new guides plus valves, springs, flatness check, crack check, head gaskets and whatever horror show I might find). I can do it for about $700-800, but at that point I could pick up a running IDIT and swap it in. Just don't really have the cash for that either though.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed mine will tick while driving the first time. Then parking for a little and starting back up there will be no more tick for a while. Also while accelerating my tick seems to go away as well, or at least quiet down.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Mine did previously, but now the ticking is constant and sounds like it's not just one thing ticking anymore. Like it was just one lifter and it's a few more now.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Enginetech lifters are complete junk. They are very crudely made and ended up returning a set because of how they looked.
Go with either sealed power lifters or Johnson hylift.
PM me if you want a slightly used set of sealed power lifters. They have about 150 miles on them so they are still fairly new.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Depending on what you want for them, and if you still have them when I can get in there, I'll probably take you up on that. I remember your struggles with ticking.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lose the Lucas junk. It does not contain any detergent or anti wear additives. Its just an oil thickener and cold oil is already too thick.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
I think most of it has burnt up. In single degree temps Friday, the oil pressure shot up rather quickly instead of slowly climbing. Guessing that was the seafoam. Didn't think that is probably getting burnt as blow by as well :confused:

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like Delvac 15w40. It's what I run in my rigs.

Lucas isn't going to burn up. It's like 170w oil, really thick. It helps if you have a worn-out engine with shot seals, though. Ran an IDI on nearly 1/3 lucas for a few thousand miles because I put the front and rear main seals in backwards. It worked. I still was leaving a trail of oil droplets, but at least it wasn't 2 quarts every 50 miles...
This was during the summer though, no issues with freezing temps.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Staff online