Throttle Position Sensor goes bad every 6 months or sooner

BigRedWeather

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Throttle Position Sensor (some call it the Pedal Position Sensor) attaches to the fuel pedal assembly. When the pedal is depressed the interior of the TPS/PPS turns which in turn signals for more fuel to the engine. Every 6 months for 8 years I have had to replace the PPS because it does this:

when the pedal is depressed enough to run the engine at about 1200 RPM the signal to the engine drops to idle RPM, so as I slowly depress the pedal the engine speed goes from idle to 600, 800, 1000, idle, 1400, 1600 etc. The RPMs in bold and underlined are very rough as the truck lurches forward. Sometimes the lurching make my foot on the pedal go up and down which makes the lurching even worse. Probably half of the time the increase in RPMs is smooth from idle to 2200 with no lurching.

When I put a new PPS ($50.00 for a Dorman PN699-200 or 200-699) the problem goes away for 6 months, then it returns again. I think my truck must be putting some current to the PPS that it is not designed for and therefore is damaging it. My current problem is that the last PPS I put on only worked well FOR 3 WEEKS. At that rate it could be pretty expensive to drive this truck.

-Does anyone else have this problem?
-Is there another PPS that would fix this problem permanently?

Thanks for the input,

BigRedWeather

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I would test the voltage signal it's putting out before replacing it.
Definitely try a Ford one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i bet a penny or two if you switch over to motorcraft your issues will probably clear up.
do a search for the psd and i wouldn't be surprised if motorcraft sensors are wildly recommended across the forums for the trucks...........if not,then id at least try a different brand tps.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I would also recommend a Motorcraft replacement, or one from a boneyard.... The PSD's 7.3 ans 6.0 flavors DO NOT like aftermarket sensors. When I had to replace my ICP. I went to Ford, Needed it on short notice, and I had read WAY to many bad things about aftermarket sensors.

I would also check the supply to it... as it shouldn't be burning them out that quick. That is one of the sensors you don't read much about needing replaced. I know my truck still has the original one..... I would say most trucks do.......

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scott,
its actually more of a problem than you think.
when i bought my truck mine went to crap.
i would have to pull over, and restart the damn truck.
ran across another with intermittent issues.

but it doesnt kill the truck completely.

OP if you cant afford the new one, a junkyard is your best bet.
and cheaper than doorman.

ive ran through many of doorman ICP's and crank sensors until i got my head out of my ass

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Brian,

Maybe that was another sensor they redesigned with the 6.0...... like the Cam Position Sensor...... they fixed that on in the 6.0 also.........

But none the less, PSD's don't like anything but Ford/IH Sensors.......

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
scott, perhaps, i wouldnt know, i dont mess with 6.0's much.

jasper, whatever it was, i replaced it with a fomoco part and havnt had the issue since, i replaced the entire pedal.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
That's good though. For anyone with a powerstroke look up blue printing the pedal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online