Throttle Cable Adjustment

88fordidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the throttle cable on a 88 7.3 adjustable? When the pedal gets to the floor I know there's still a good bit of cable left just from how the truck acts.. thanks!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well the simple answer is both yes and no. There really isn't any adjustable parts but. What most will do is bend the throttle cable mount that connects to the intake manifold to remove the cable slack. What you do is bend it back towards the firewall till it feels right. Or bend the throttle peddle arm which is a harder job.

Black dawg

Reaction score
you can also pull the cable through the pedal assy, and zip tie some of the slack out.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Split shot was what I was trying to remember but alas.. No memory left. I sure can remember some crap but none of the good stuff... Sad to get old and forget...

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Split shot was what I was trying to remember but alas.. No memory left. I sure can remember some crap but none of the good stuff... Sad to get old and forget...

Not to worry, Gary - I think I remembered that from one of your other threads and was able to regurgitate that very useful information.

88fordidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow thanks guys! having that extra throttle I think my truck just gained about 20 horses haha :D

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Its always nice to regain full throttle useage. Funny how this works out sometimes and its a simple fix..

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to worry, Gary - I think I remembered that from one of your other threads and was able to regurgitate that very useful information.
+ 1
its always:hail good to see your past good deeds come back up!

Last edited:

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+ 1
its always:hail good to see your past good deeds come back up!

Yeah, Gary is an absolute wealth of knowledge, as are many of the members on here. I appreciate all the help they are willing to give anyone who needs it!

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
Kind of on the same subject where do people source their throttle cable from, i have had the truck down for a long time but when I was driving it all of the time i would break throttle cables 2-3 times a year. I was sourcing them from oreillys but now im just curious whether a different brand would be a bit more sturdy

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a new throttle cable from Bronco Graveyard and it was a Dorman brand. Looked like the Ford cable but stretched out about 3/4" within one month of use. Then I bought an actual Ford cable, which was about $20 more, and that has been fine for over a year now.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Very interesting. I'm definatly going to have to try the split shot trick when it warms up enough to work on my truck again. Thanks from me too!

88fordidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My new cable was from orileys... I reckon it probably stretched and that's why it got out of adjustment.. thankfully no breaking yet!!