Thread to ask questions for my repower??

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
electric pump pushing to the front. I did notice the other day that it was stumbling every now and then. When going down the road every now and then it acts like it gets a hit of nitrous and rpms raise without me adding throttle. This is a new pump that I got when uhaul had there sale but I am wondering if there is a problem now?

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
i dont think you have a problem with your IP but rather your electric pump or suction side. If you are emptying the fuel filter, thats NOT GOOD. I had a holley red on my truck for some time and it would intermittently stop pumping fuel and the IP would continue to suck fuel. Not good on the IP and it would randomly surge. I upgraded to a facet duralift and it was great till i knocked it off the truck. I went back to a holley red and had the same crap especially with my wmo blends.

I hooked the mechanical pump back up, primed the system and its been a-ok.

If you search soem of my threads they will depict my hatred of those electric pumps and knockoff mechanical pumps, one which left me walking. I was lucky i had two optimas as it was enough to prime the system and get it running after i swapped mechanicals on the side of the road.

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well I unhooked the line under hood and put it in a gallon jug and turned my key on and filled that jug in about a minute. I hate fuel problems! If there is a issue with the return not bleeding off enough pressure could that be doing this to me?

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
if you are questioning your return, unhook it from the back of the engine and run it into a jug.

So you have a clear fuel filter/clear line from the filter head to the ip?

Hook the fuel line back up and bleed the system again and fire it up, look for bubbles or lack of fuel going into the IP and put a clear section on a return to see if you see bubbles too.

I guess i have been really lucky as i'm using all my old return caps that came with the 6.9 i got the first time. Never changed the hoses either LOL. starts like a champ everytime unless i have straight atf in the tank and its cold out.

btw i would check the feed side first if it died after the fuel filter emptied. Just because its pumping fuel now doesn';t mean it will pump with a little head pressure on it

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I messed with the truck tonight and all disaster! I took all lines loose and blew them to make sure there was no junk in lines and forgot about the inline filter
and blew it up under hood.:mad: I am getting 9lbs at the pump with the key on and there is no fuel coming out of the return line and that makes me wonder if something is wrong. I can leave the key on for 15 minutes with all the caps cracked on the injectors and get little to no fuel on cap after that amount of time.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
You shouldnt get much if any fuel through the returns without the engine running. Atleast thats what i remember on my truck when i was trying to bleed it.

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If thats right I think I will buy me a mechanical pump and see what happens. I am running at least 1/3 wmo in my fuel.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score

I hooked the mechanical pump back up, primed the system and its been a-ok.

If you search soem of my threads they will depict my hatred of those electric pumps and knockoff mechanical pumps, one which left me walking. I was lucky i had two optimas as it was enough to prime the system and get it running after i swapped mechanicals on the side of the road.

what mechanical lift pump do you use?

-Jon

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
carter.

2 airtex's have either stopped pumping or leaked all over in my truck.

I've been running about 75% wmo , 20% watf, 5% RUG.

No issues with the mechanical pump. I couldn't get away with much wmo with the facet pump but it could pump 75% watf/25% n2 with no issues so i stuck with the mechanical pump for now. Really glad i had it a few days ago when my lovely advance auto parts 3g alt took a crap on me and i was 4 hours from home. Killed all the electronics and watched my volt meter, manual tranny, mechnical fan (took the electric off for now) and drove home normally with the windows down. If i had the electric i would have been looking for a replacement alt.

Greg, you still may have an issue with fuel draining back or air intrustion. stick a mechanical pump on it, bleed it and leave some clear hose on the return to see if you have air.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
i had an airtex on mine, it crapped out in -5 degree weather and left me and corey z. (dieselcrawler) working on the truck for hours so we could go wheeling.... cookoo where do you get the carter's and o you have a part #?

thanks!
-Jon;Sweet

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys I have a few questions. I have had enough fuel problems to finally say I am ripping every thing out and starting over. As of right now I am running my factory inside take with a added line in for the return. I guess my IP is off a little as I am running way to much fuel through this engine but not getting any smoke. My factory tank is 19 gallon and I decided I was going to flush every thing out this morning as it died yesterday and I thought I had crude buildup blocking fuel. Any way on to what I came here to talk about. This is the setup I am hoping to run.
You must be registered for see images attach

With this setup I will have around 50 gallons and wont have to worry about running it dry every time I go some where and will be able to mix up batches of oil easier. I am thinking of running 1/2" fuel line from the tank to filter heads and then to the engine. Is there any reason that bigger line would be bad in the situation? I will be having gravity feed with this much fuel up top and was going to use a new carter mechanical pump on the engine with no pusher. My 2-3 filters will be on the frame under the tank and will making the mechanical pump work if there is ever a blockage. My next worry is with my tank being so high up will this cause any issues with my return line going to the top of the tank? Here is a pic of engine after I got my blowby piece in. Seems to be working great.

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well I got all my fuel lines cleaned up and filters checked and put back together. I am leaving all alone till I get my filtering setup done to check fuel mileage with the overdrive. I talked with Glenn at maximum overdrive and something is wrong with my wiring harness for the gear vendor. He is going to take care of it for me but told me how to hook it up to a toggle switch for the time being to check it out. I am loving me some overdrive for sure with this setup. Going to drive it this week to check on mileage. I still need to get the IP timed correctly though.

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well We took the mercury to cruise night in town tonight and it was running great. I have to say I have driven a lot of diesel trucks and I really am happy with this IDI engine. It has no where the power as some of my other trucks but it sounds right and just hums along at 1800-2200rpm. I am thinking of getting rid of some of my other toys and building me some ultra light rat rod with this powerplant. Just thought I would chime in on how much I am enjoying my setup!