Thoughts on 1990 F250 TTB for project.

dpaqu

Reaction score
Been a while since i posted on here. Sold my 86 6.9 years ago. Buddy has a 1990 7.3 IDI NA reg cab TTB and 5speed. His neighbor fathers truck. It rearended a semi and has been totalled. It's a farm truck (VA)with 90k mi no rust. Core support and front sheetmetal radiator are toast. The rest is prestine. I'll post pics when I get them.

I can get it for $700. Worth it? I'm thinking so but I'm 1/3 the way through a dodge cummins project truck so I'm sure this is a bad idea. I'm not big on the look of the bull nose trucks or the BW transfer case but least it's a not smog checkable in most states.

I'm dreaming of a Dana 60 swap with SD V code leaves and shackle reversal but first I need to get it back to road worthy first. So I'm looking for general thoughts and opinions as well as some specifics.

1. How necessary is a diesel core support and radiator? Truck has A/C. Can I skate by with gas 460 stuff?

2. Any pluses or minuses to getting a diesel core support from a OBS or slant nose truck vs bull/brick nose and using the associated front clip? I like em all about the same but if it's all bolt in I'll look for the cheapest.

3. Anybody regret dropping there TTB?

4. Thoughts on 4.10 gears and military 37" tires with a NA 7.3 and mild (#7k) towing.

fsmyth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1) Based on my sample of one - I would not be afraid to use the 460 radiator on the N/A
engine. Mine has no trouble cooling regardless of the load. Note that I did install an
EGT probe when I got it, and used that to drive by (kept it under 1100).
2) From what I remember reading on this and other forums, the core supports are different
for each body style, but I have no personal experience on that.
3) no comment. never swapped one.
4) should not be an issue. It's gonna be slow starts even with 32" tires. :)

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The core supports are specific to generation. You can swap entire clips but not just a core support.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin