Thought I would share somthin an give a reminder.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I open my hood daily truly daily. At some point Saturday my oil fill cap had blew off the truck an is no where to be found. My oil is about 4quarts low an my underside of hood is coated event with oil side to side. How this happened I have no clue I have not pulled tht cap off in 3k so it managed to wiggle loose an almost cost me my engine. So please all next time you get in your truck make sure it's tight.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might want to check your CDR valve, if you're still running one. The last time I had an oil fill cap blow off on me, it was because the crankcase was BADLY overpressurized...in that case, it was a blown piston on an air-cooled VW. If you have a road-draft tube, I would check it for restrictions/blockage...

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X TWO on what the Warden said.

I have swivel-chains on all of our oil-caps and any other caps that permit such improvements.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
My oil fill cap screws on tightly. I'm gusiing the 6,9 caps screw on a little differantly. Good call anyway. I make it a point to always open the hood and look around at whats been going on. Finding a surprise going down the road is not fun..

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Had the same thing happen on my 7.3 with the screw on ratchet cap. Made a mess all over. My hood insulation will never be the same

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Luckly I ditched the nasty hood insulation an it was easy to wipe off. I checked my road draft tube an it's clean as a whistle. My compressions good truck doesn't use any oil other than wat it leaks out the road draft tube. An a small bit from valley pan from po using wrong grommet an dented it so it doesn't seal right. Truck doesn't deserve the new valley pan on the shelf yet as I wanna use it on my new motor. An my blow by is so bad it's not funny an doesn't make any since as to why it's do bad. I only am out a quart of oil every oil change 4-5k. But when on a long distance trip the Road draft tube leaks out an needs a quart every 2k

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is always one of the things that scares me - somehow you loose the oil and there's no way to know until you loose pressure. At least with coolant it's pretty easy to put a low level warning system on (Isspro sells a kit that works well) but I haven't figured out how to do something for oil sump level. One of these days......

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
If your blowby is that bad, I might increase the size of your RDT system. Otherwise you're going to start having more problems from crankcase overpressure.

You might try a dose of Auto RX, see if it's just a stuck ring.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wyreth auto rx works on stuck rings???? Hmmm never gave this truck a dose of that as the valve covers never had gunk build up an oils always nice when changing. Will try that Tom when I change Tw oil. An my RDT is a 1/2 in hose with a custom elbow straight outta the valve cover. I thought that was over kill! What size do you reccomend? It's an easy change.

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My screw on ratchet oil cap came off and took out my power steering pump belt.... WHILE hauling my 28' 5 th. wheel up to hunting camp.. luckily I was still on the highway.. wow that thing was hard to turn.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could swear I almost destroyed my column when I lost a ps pump holly cow I thought it wa gonna twist like a pretzel.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
Wyreth auto rx works on stuck rings???? Hmmm never gave this truck a dose of that as the valve covers never had gunk build up an oils always nice when changing. Will try that Tom when I change Tw oil. An my RDT is a 1/2 in hose with a custom elbow straight outta the valve cover. I thought that was over kill! What size do you reccomend? It's an easy change.

I cannot say personally, as I've never had a stuck ring, and havn't yet dosed my truck with it. However people on this board have mentioned it works really well to unstick rings.

Also for the RDT, off the top of my head I recall reading it needed to be 1" hose minimum, for normal blowby. (do run a search, because I could be wrong. I think there is a tech article on it) If you're having as much as you say, I might even go as big as 1 1/2. Or a pair of 1" lines, one from each cover. (also you could plumb in some oil catches, they're really cheap to build)

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know I usually make sure the oil caps on my vehicles are tight enough by replacing or adding some cork material under the ears on the cap. Well, usually cork since sometimes a rubber or synthetic washer works just as nicely. But I definitely see the merit in adding a chain or safety catch to prevent loss or the cap from getting into where it shouldn't be.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you run draft tubes down, is it usually with just a straight end of hose or pipe terminating it? Or have you worked up a small tip that acts with a venturi in mind to increase negative pressure for gas extraction? I had to work up something like that on my Harley when I bought it new and just liked to push oil into the air cleaner, so I can see the merit of such an addition.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin