This might be the final blow...

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fortunately I do not have to go to inspection with my truck. Not even a safety inspection because it is over 10,000 and diesel powered. I've been pulled over for "No inspection sticker" on a few occasions and I just let them know what the law is. One time the cop did give me a ticket anyway so armed with evidence that my truck does not need inspection by the state I made an ass of the prosecutor and he dropped the charges. After showing him all the evidence I had he had one question "Since when did Ford put a diesel engine in a van?". My response was since about 1985. :rotflmao

New Jersey recently decided to scrap their inspection program and check emissions only. ;Sweet

Good luck in whatever you do decide to do.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No inspections at all where I am on vancouver island. They have what's called "aircare" (smog check) on the mainland but from what I hear its easy to pass. There was even talk of cancelling the program because its a little pointless in an era of EFI engines that are self adjusting and generally clean burning. But that would be seen as weakening environmental regulations and also put people out of work so for now it's still in place.

When I repowered the ranger a few years ago, there was no issue at all on the isurance. They simply changed the fuel type to diesel and continued as usual.

When I was ready to insure my electric car, it was the same thing. No inspection was required or requested, just told them it was electric and they changed the fuel type.

It won't stay like that for much longer in all likelihood. Government regulation never stops and never rolls back. Places like NS will only get more strict as time goes on because it can be justifed two fold as creating jobs and by keeping the public safe. Sooner or later, BC will probably catch up too.

Rules like this are already in place in the european union, australia and new zealand (among many others). In queensland australia for example, a simple scratch in the paint with rust showing is enough to fail inspection. If the registration expires, the vehicle must undergo a complete an thorough safety inspection that often runs over $100. Now when it comes to insuring a home converted electric car 'by the book' down under......lets not even go there.

For now I am able to drive my truck even with a rust hole clean through one of the fenders and a box that has holes in the bed. All I can do is enjoy it while it lasts and hope to find the parts I need in the mean time.

Moral of the story is this. You can run from regulations, but you can't hide. Liberals have a way of ruining every place they inhabit, then move on to somewhere else destroy. It's what they call being progressive (and we know to be oppressive).

Huh, I though liberal meant to be the opposite of oppressive. Live and learn I guess.....

Better get of my stool now.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
I want to see the spot on the box that you patched. But all in all that's some major BS my friend. round here the only person that I know of having any legal safety issues was a buddy that got pulled over and they noticed that the floor pan was held up by the seat belts so they told him to take it home and fix it before it sees the road again.

jayel73

Reaction score
It might pay to take it back to the inspection place, what we in Oz call "The Pits" and have another crack.
Sometimes it's just the pen pushin numpty jobsworth that's all brainwashed by paperwork and red tape, one day ya vehicle fails, the next day, different bloke, different mood, it passes.

Or fight it.
We have a safety **** group in Oz who want a national code for vehicles. One of there documents regarding 4wds would limit modification to the extent that the vast majority of 4wd currently registered would become illegal.
Mass petitions to the authorities have put it on the backburner.

I gotta admit tho, I didn't organise it, just added my name and spread the word.

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
I can sympathize. I struggled with that BS as a starving college student with a clunker car. It was just a scam for the repair shops to **** you for non-safety related repairs. :shoot: No rust holes allowed, in a state with severe winters and which loaded the roads with salt. When the ice started to melt and you drove through the slush, it would turn a black car almost completely white. A simple scratch would become a completely rusted through hole, in less than a year -Flame Thr-Flame Thr

Too bad you couldn't make a trip to the SW USA.

A local salvage yard just sent about a dozen rust free ford pickups to the scrapper. A rust-free, dent-free bed, any size, is $109.;Really

Maybe drag some beds up north, keep two, and sell the others to pay for the diesel.

I used to shop around for inspection places. Every one would find different things "needing" repair, and the estimates would range from $100 to $1000. I felt lucky to pass a inspection for under $200.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I want to see the spot on the box that you patched. But all in all that's some major BS my friend.

I will try and get a pic today of the patch I welded in. It's solid, covers the hole and I even sprayed it wuth undercoating to prevent further rust.

me and my family have a vacation home in nova scotia

Where abouts? Next time you come around. drop in for a few beers!

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
The local u pullit has a couple dozen clean beds. I think they get about $125 for the things. For what you are looking at paying, you could take a roadtrip stateside and come out cash ahead. I still like the temporary flatbed idea though.. Quick frame up with some new lumber and they can't complain about a thing, then yank it and sell it , pop your old bed back on...till next time and make another

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why would a country who allows French people to have their own country IN the country care about rust? Seems to me their priorities are a little F$%^ed up. cookoo Can you get a delivery truck like a box van type for it? Just put that on, then get it inspected and take it back off. I'd think they would be giving those away in some junkyard. :dunno

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Damn, You guys should see some of the crap driving around here.
You can see right thru the body!:eek:

Kinda like My 93 1/2 ton winter beater :D

It looks really bad, but runs reeeally good. If it didn't run so good, I'da junked It years ago.

It truly sounds like the inspector has a ******* for You/Your Truck.

I'd go to a different Inspector.

Last edited:

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
Goofy- seriously...
Do the seal and figure out where the "damp" is coming from on the tank and fix it, or clean it real good so it doesn't show and run the fuel level down real low so it doesn't slosh and make an appearance. A mile before you get to the inspection station pull over, climb under and wipe everything down real good one last time then drive real easy to the station. A DIFFERENT station. $32 beats $1500 in my book any day. Don't go as a re-test, go as a new test (if you can) since you already fixed everything the first ****** gigged you on. Can someone else take your truck through for you? If possible, then an older respectable looking gent doing you a favor because you're "out of town". Don't stand on pride- the idea is to get it passed as cheaply as possible...
We used to have inspections in Florida, and I've always driven older vehicles, I learned how to be a sneaky basser in that respect early on...

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Inspections?What's that?I had a fully legal F150 here once that the floor pan was a old aluminum sign,carpet was indoor outdoor blue,one Fender was caved in,engine and trans was out of a car with mechanical clutch,Pedal assembly was welded together from rebar and a hole was chiseled through the floor pan(I mean that,Looked like the cartoon cans they get ripped open),No 1st gear,would put it in 1st and get about 6 inches and BANG 6 more and BANG.Bed sides flapped in the wind cause the entire bottom edge was GONE and wheel well lip was gone,Bed floor was non-existant,tailgate was long gone as the hinges had broken off from rust.No cat,no muffler...actually no exhaust.only thing solid was roof,hood,and one fender.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Well, I called a station about 1/2 an hour from here that is as far from city life as you can get without heading back into it. I talked to the guy on the phone and told him I got called on a couple things, but I JUST replaced them.

The only thing needed to be fixed is the new tank (tomorrow, and you can BET I am painting it black with rust check...about 4 layers and using rubber on the straps before installing). So that means that my truck is mechanically upto showroom condition....has to be to pass around here!!

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds a lot like what I drive when I'm just doing my thing. I try to keep one truck looking nice enough for when I want to go cruising or those long drives to different states. Just not too good to be a target for anything.

Otherwise in this giant deer feed lot called WI where they spread so much salt the animals think the roads are licks and get their numbers reduced that way along with a few smaller cars. But I may drive a rusty, dented diesel that will make old women cry and young boys get inspiration for next years Enduro derby. And that suits me just fine. When I get pulled over for whatever crap the state patrol feebs decide I need to get pulled over for, I will know it's crap since my truck runs perfectly and I don't smoke ANYONE out. Except for when I add some black go-go juice to my tank. Then it can be a little foggy out back.

But so far I live in a place in WI where there are no inspections yet. However they are trying to push a "Brand Spankin' New" train service across the state so I am sure that at some point I will be an outlaw when they outlaw my "junk". Along the lakeshore of MI the service stations for ages have had to recover the fumes from dispensing gas into vehicles, and run a reformulated mixture to "help the environment". That's been a long time going now. And yet, what industries that survived WI tax base continue to billow out plumes of smoke in mills and discharge crap into the waterways with bought credits.

Sound fair?

There has been at least a decade long crackdown on the release thing, but so far it's just newspaper stories and radio drivel about how everything is getting cleaned up. We will see how long it takes for that to trickle down to the average vehicle owner who keeps his ride repaired and going for a bit. I know I missed a few steps there, but you see my point.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance