Thinking of selling ford and getting dodge

jdw7.3

Reaction score
I currently have a 1990 F-250 with a 7.3 idi. I am considering getting a dodge and selling my truck and wanted to get some advice. Are there any years or models to stay away from? Any advise on what to look for will be helpful. i would like to stay below 10K and will use it mostly for towing a 6,000 lb fishing boat. Thanks

Reasons why i am looking at dodge-

I don't like the tranny in my ford -keeps having problems even though it has been redone

The suspension isn't good for towing (it has been lifted)

The gas mileage isn't that good :mad: I have been told that some of these dodge's get in the low 20's mpg. Is this true?

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
The years that you are going to be looking at (price range) will be about 1996 and earlier. I would recommend looking at the 1994+ trucks only because with these you get the P7100 injection pump (inline oil lubed) vs the rotary injection pump on the 1st gens. The P-Pumps are the ones that can make killer power for the least amount of money thrown at them.

Now for what to look for in a truck - pretty much just like every other truck on the road just look it over good. I would however recommend the manual tranny trucks only because if you start turning up the power the auto trannies don't take kindly to that plus the Dodge auto tranny has a much worst rep than the E4OD ever did.

Now for fuel mileage they do quite well on fuel. I will normally ring in around 17~19mpg depending on if I'm towing or not (31ft TT 9200~9500lbs). Unloaded and rolling smoke, 70+mph, laying some rubber and general horsing around I will ring in about 18~19. Now if I drive like a normal person for most of the tank (70+mph and only roll smoke once from the stop lights and don't lay rubber) I will net 22.7 mpg I know that if I slowed down and did not gouge on the go pedal I would get better but I just can't bring myself to do that. So for me 22.7 is my peak. Now when we were out at the 05 IDI Weekend and I was flat smoking the tires off just about everytime the truck was running (doing burnouts, then launching once the tires were heated, then blasts down the road up to 100+ mph) I got 12 mpg... But I mean we were beating on the ol' goat like a borrowed mule LOL I was trying to burn the tires completely off the truck and pretty much did that :peelout

Oh and I paid 8750 for mine last year and she looks like a garage queen. She came with all the current mods done to her.

#10 fuel plate, AFC Spring Kit, 3k RPM gov kit, Pac-Brake, South Bend CON O clutch, Boost Elbow, Lund Visor, Fiberglass running boards, 5th wheel tailgate (and original tailgate), bug shield, high end CD player with alpine amp and speakers, Prime-Loc fuel filter relocation and tinted winders. Tires were good at the time I purchased the truck LOL

Last edited:

jdw7.3

Reaction score
So the dodge tranny's are a weakness. I din't know that, thanks! i would like a manual tranny but am a little concerned with using it on the steeper boat ramps. DO you think this would cause a problem? :confused: The fuel mileage sounds awesome. I am problably only getting between 14-16 (just guessing). I will try to get a better feel over the next few months

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
No problem if you know how to drive a clutch. We have a boat and I have pulled out a few steep ramps and it's not a problem - just use first gear (it'a granny gear) I back up a pretty steep driveway with our TT in tow. Just have to go easy on the clutch (I have to split inches for where I park it).

jdw7.3

Reaction score
argve, Do you recomend the change from ford to dodge? How hard are the dodge's to work on? The nice thing about the idi is it is fairly easy to work on and no computers or sensors to really go bad (except the tranny). Just want to make sure I make the right decision ;Sweet

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Well if I answer truthfully I will be bashing the IDI...

Ease of access to the engine is greatly improved over the V8 design you can just about get to everything easier. I have had less problems per mile out of my Dodge/Cummins than I did out of the Ford/International - I tracked all repairs on both trucks and when I do the math the Cummins comes out the shining winner - even with me roasting the clutch.

One thing I did notice is the suspension is softer on the Dodge compared to The Enterprise but one must remember that this Dodge is a SRW 3/4 ton and The Enterprise was a 1 Ton Dually so that should be expected.

When comparing fit and finish in the cab (I've had both apart) I would say that both are equal in their quality. One thing that the Dodge does have is sound proofing that is one thing that The Enterprise never had, so naturally the Dodge is a quieter ride even with the super loud diesel under the hood.

The sheet metal is thinner but it has held up quite well with how I have used it (tossing stumps and concrete back there with no care)

Both have common problems like the fuel senders on the Dodge are pretty prone to failure but they can be fixed easily without full replacement. The door lock actuators on all the fords that I have had all died a pretty quick death where as this Dodge they are still going strong - don't know maybe they were replaced once but previous owner said as far as he knew they were OEM.

All in all the Dodge is a quality built truck and so is the Ford I would have no reservations about either one.

Last edited:

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
Just the fact my dad and uncle have owned 2 Dodges and had nothing but problems compared to my fords.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
So you've had no problems with your IDI? Dang you must be doing something right then because all I had was problems (engines lasted 70k miles) now I did however beat on The E quite badly as you know (high rpms on a daily basis - heavy throttle most of the time) I do the same to this truck and haven't seen the problems I did out of The E - yes I have only owned this truck for a year but I track all expenses and the cost per mile is coming up less with this one. Don't know maybe I just got the one bad Ford and the one and only good Dodge... you know every now and again a dog does get a warm piece of the sidewalk.

Me I guess I'm not a brand loyal kind of guy - I like 'em all. I've owned from all the big three over the years and all have had their problems - all have had their good points but this might surprise you the one with the least amount of troubles I have owned have been my -gasp- Bowties... Now why don't I own a bowtie now... Well I just WANTED the Cummins this time around and I'm thinking in the back of my mind that I will have me one of them thar Duramax's some day...

rip van sparky

Reaction score
Not brand bashing, I think that everyone will agree that the cummins is probably the best small truck diesel out there, just go to fordcummins and take a look at the pic of a ford rod hanging next to a cummins, damn, there must be three times as much steel in that cummins, that's what finally convinced me. And no GPs. Unfortunately, the package that that baby comes in is lacking in several areas. I have owned two 3/4 ton Dodge vans, I have 5 friends that have Dodge trucks. Auto trans:three replaced, rear ends: two replaced, lots of fuel pumps, fuel gauges, trim items, shift levers, brake components, you name it, it seems there is always somebody that has an issue going on at any one time. My good friend just bought a cummins (note he doesn't say Dodge). He did his research and he has like three grand set aside just for repairs. A friend of mine owns a junk yard a he said they literally have a waiting list for Dodge truck parts. Dodges always bring high prices at the auctions because of high demand.

I knew a cattle rancher out in the eastern cascade mtns that had a '95 F350 'stroke with 900,000 miles and his only complaint was that he put two auto trannys in it. He worked that thing like nobody's business. His son bought a new 24v dodge and within three weeks was wishing that he had bought a Ford instead. $33,000 regret. I just can't recall other Ford owners having any complaints. Obviously, Fords are not perfect, they just don't seem to have pervasive problems. I think that if Ford could get ahold of that cummins 90% of small truck diesels would be Fords.

One more thing, if you didn't know about the world famous Dodge trannys you should definitly do some research before buying. Just call up some local junkyards and see what parts they have and what they don't, or at least what they sell more of. I am definitely a whatever good deal comes along brand doesn't make a difference kind of guy so I am trying to remain objective. Well, good luck

jdw7.3

Reaction score
If i can get what I want out of my IDI when i try to sell it then i will problably try a dodge with a manual tranny. Don't know if I will be able to sell my truck for what i want though. also, did i understand that dodge's don't use glow plugs?

Whit

Reaction score
jdw7.3 said:
also, did i understand that dodge's don't use glow plugs?

That is correct, just inlet grid heater where the air horn bolts down to the intake manifold.

Its amazing how folks always seam to have oppinions about other brands of trucks :confused: Wyoming has more registered vehicles per person and per capita than any other state and prolly the better part of them are trucks and diesels being the better part of that, we have a boatload of fords and dodge diesels around here, never really hear too much bad about either of them, I guess the Wyo boys just fix em and go bout their business, I dont think you could go wrong with any of the big three right now. Buy what tickels yer fancy and have fun.

Cheers, Kevin

rip van sparky

Reaction score
Yeah, my buddy told me his doesn't have GPs, just an air heater element. It can be chilly out and you just push the throttle down 1/4 of the way (official cold start procedure) and start cranking, it'll fire right up. Pretty cool. I wish I had the extra power of a cummins but I don't really want to spend 3000 on a turbo/IC. For a little more I would have to put in a cummins, I really love my truck, I do a lot of towing so the extra power would be nice to have.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online