thinking about bailing ship

4running_fun

Reaction score
im thinking about bailing on my 93 f250 and going to a duramax, after finding out that my tranny case is cracked and that i have 150psi in my 7 and 8 this would make the third motor for me. i have a 12v i was going to put in it till i found tranny problems.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
I got rid of my duramax for my idi. traded a 02 GMC 2500hd Extended cab short bed 4x4 with 175000 miles for my 94 in my sig.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
GM finally put a good diesel in their trucks when they went with the Duramax in 2001?? They aren't without their share of issues but overall they are a good mill. The trucks themselves are garbage as far as im concerned but hey....

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The duramax's after about 2002 or 2003 are good motors. They had initial injection problems and other bugs at first. If I had a chance to move from my IDI to a duramax - especially considering what I use my truck for, I would in a heartbeat.

Just remember that with great power comes great repair bills when things break.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got one in back yard has cracked head an bad bearings. Guys bailing for taking 800-1000 bucks for everything after putting 2500-3k in the last year. Rad,pump,injectors,gps,alt,ac,vac pump, an c6 trans. Makes me wanna cry for him. He's got money to fix but cold feet he went almost to the finish lineZ. Oh we'll his loss I guess I came up with a new turbo kit,auto meter digital egt,isspro boost,injectors,an some other goodies. I'm stoked it's me before the junkyard picking the choice parts first!!!

Meteshjj

Reaction score
My uncle has a 2012 Duramax, 4-door, shortbox, auto. My dad has a 1991.5 Turbo Intercooled Cummins, single cab, longbox, Getrag 5-speed. Both are bone stock (well, I turned up the fuel a little on the Cummins, but not even enough to smoke). With a 5-foot load of wood in the Duramax and an 8-load of wood in the Cummins, the Cummins out-pulls the Duramax every time. Add to that the fact that the Cummins has about 10 miles (out of 100k) without a load and gets roughly 27 MPG in town, while the Duramax gets about 20 (it has 30k miles on it).

His pavement princess Duramax can't touch the Cummins. In my humble opinion, if you're going to get a diesel, get an old diesel. 1st and 2nd gen Cummins or an early Powerstroke. Chevy went for mass appeal, not power or durability.

PackRat239

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would have to agree. ALL the newer trucks were / are designed so mom will drive them / ride in them without complaining. All the ammeneties (sp) are for mom / wife / girlfriend first, so the guys will buy them. They are not designed primarilly for work. Real men with real trucks dont need heated seats, vibrator seats, 200 speaker stereos, velouer floor mats, quiet engines, 20 speed trans that you cant even feel shift, cadillac ride, lighted gloveboxes, makeup mirrors.....
I have a friend who just bought a brand new duramax, 4 wheel drive, and it gets 17mpg. Same as my 7.3. And I have no payment.

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For me, my idi wins the cost/benefit battle. I do my own work and parts are cheap. That said, newer trucks are better in every way. My dad has a 2006 dodge, and it is better in every way. Sure, there might be some things people don't like or have trouble with, but its not a concern for me. I'll take computer control over mechanical every day, but I am comfortable doing my own tuning via laptop already on my turbo cars.

That said, to the OP, what are you doing? Three motors and a cracked tranny makes wonder if its actually user error.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
im thinking about bailing on my 93 f250 and going to a duramax, after finding out that my tranny case is cracked and that i have 150psi in my 7 and 8 this would make the third motor for me. i have a 12v i was going to put in it till i found tranny problems.

and what's stopping you from putting it in and finding another trans?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Staff online