Thinking about a long trip in the IDI safety check and a few questions

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, first off, I'm not new to IDIs but far from an expert. I feel very comfortable performing any normal fixes on the side of the road, up to and including injector or IP replacement. I suppose I'm asking for some wisdom from you IDI road warriors as to what common failure items on a long (1400 mile) trip might be and what items might need to be checked before I seriously commit to this. My thoughts are that I need to carry a spare set of belts, a few extra injectors and a few extra glow plugs as well as lots of water/coolant and oil and fuel hose of all applicable sizes. I was going to get a mechanic friend of mine to check the brakes, suspension and for any glaring safety issues. I also know there is a slow coolant leak...definitely not water pump or head gasket/big C. It is either the top weld on the radiator tank or the hose isn't tight enough. And speaking of hoses, the bottom hose is old. I don't know if it is bad but it has been in there a long time. My gut is to pull that radiator and check it real thoroughly and the bottom hose gets replaced. How would I check the radiator for leaks...let a shop do it? Or can I do it at home or at my buddy's shop? Also if I get into a really bad fix any OB folks that would be along the route (Mostly I75 between Gainesville and Milwaukee) and then heading NW toward the twin cities but actually heading for Hudson WI? Lastly, does anyone know where to get biodiesel in the Twin Cities or Milwaukee area? I feel like I'd have enough to get there, but probably not back without refilling. Looks like with a worst case of 12mpg I'd burn 116 gallons or a best case of 20mpg I'd burn 70. I should be able to secure a 55 gal aux. tank, 2 5 gal cans and my 19 gallon stock tank. I appreciate any advice.

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
get radiator pressure test and 13 psi on it or whatever the cap rated for. just be carefull you can blow a head gasket if you put to much pressure on it

FordGuy100

Reaction score
The one thing I wish I had was a spare vacuum pump. I drove with a dying (you had one chance at braking, if you pushed the pedal again, nothing) for nearly 2000 miles.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
If you have any questions about your cooling system or radiator, get them fixed before leaving. The hoses are not expensive and the thermostat is a real headache to change in the best of circumstances.

Bio fuel is probably available somewhere on your trip. Check on Craigslist for resources soon, so you have an idea of what to expect and where to find it. If you can't get it in Milwaukee, you can at least get a beer to make you feel better and wash down the road dust.

Remember that you are not going to the moon. Wear parts (hoses and belts) for these trucks are available almost anywhere. The important part is to bring appropriate tools. Relax and enjoy your trip!

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
here i though you might be headed for the rally, you can get a pressure testor from most any big chain store to rent. i bought one i think it was $80 then you can pump up the system and read how fast the gage drops and look around for leakage without a hot engine.

also comes in handy to watch how fast the pressure rises after you start the engine. can point out a leaky head fast.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
I wouldn't stress too much at all ;Sweet I take mine all over the middle of nowhere in Utah's back country (so services for hundreds of miles LOL) without too much stress. Here's a few spares aside from tools, chemicals that I like to carry.

-A gallon or so (just to top off here and there) of antifreeze and a ton of drinking water. Water has many uses which makes it a lot more convenient for me than packing 8+ gallons of anti-freeze that can only be used for one thing. I wouldn't run water for a long period of time, but it will get you off the trail or to a parts store.

-Belts. V-belts are one of my IDI complaints and you should carry a whole set. Ive seen one let loose and take the rest with it :rolleyes: I don't know about you guy's but I don't get a whole lot of life out of these. Maybe I'm just used to serpentine belts :dunno

-Fuel pump, one or two filters and a gallon of #2 to help prime the system.

-Hoses of all types with assorted clamps to fit them.

-Multi-meter. VERY handy. I had a window switch wire get pinched in my door jam. If I had a meter there's a chance I wouldn't have had to drive 250miles in ****** weather with the window down LOL

Before the trip I'd go though your coolant system and figure out whats leaking. Once you find a nice long grade you could end up finding out the hard way! :eek: Also for the cost I'd change out that old hose for peace of mind and also any worn heater hoses. Two things you don't want are risking overheating and popping a head gasket and/or blowing all 8 gallons of coolant all over the highway.

If you do have a radiator shop test your radiator be warned: I had some yo-yo's tell me mine was bad when it wasn't and they'd dispose of it for free and cut me a deal on a new aluminum replacement--at 60+ pounds in clean copper ($$$) and $400+ for a new radiator I'm sure they would!!! -cuss

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like some good advice guys. I definitely am going to find out the deal on the cooling system and probably replace that damned lower hose. A pain in the tail job but the upper hose has been replaced twice since this one has. Heater hoses seem fine, but for the minimal cost probably should just toss them. I'm not worried about the t-stat. It is a genuine Ford or IH part, it is within the last few years and has seen good cooling system maintenance. There are no leaks, no running cold and no overheating. In addition to basic hand tools and a filter wrench any other tools you guys think of as "must haves"? Justin the extra vacuum pump is very good idea. I recall you made the long trek from Oregon to Tx to be with your lady. This is probably child's play compared to that in terms of the rural places you had to go through.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
What I carry around is as follows

2 gallons of oil
2 gallons of coolant
1 quart of gear oil
1 quart of atf mercon
1 quart of atf type F
1 quart of brake fluid
1 spare fuel filter
1 spare oil filter
1 fire extinguisher
1 bottle jack
1 set of jumper cables
1 med kit
1 flashlight

Thats what I would call the "basics". I also have a bunch of hand tools, electrical kit, power tools, nails, screws, etc that I store in my tool body. The truck is like a closet. The bigger it is, the more clothes she can fit in it. And I will be the first to admit there is alot of crap in my truck. But you probably dont need any of it. I would just get a basic toolbox (screwdrivers, wrenches, pliers, sockets), a little of each fluid, a good jack (and check your spare!!!!), some filters and some belts. You know your truck the best, so if you know she uses lots of oil, then bring enough to last the trip. Unless you want to be like gary and dedicate your entire cab to spare parts, I think you can be only so prepared, and then hope that there is a NAPA close by.

Good luck on your trip and I got the steaks marinating if you want to swing by Virginia

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Sounds like some good advice guys. I definitely am going to find out the deal on the cooling system and probably replace that damned lower hose. A pain in the tail job but the upper hose has been replaced twice since this one has. Heater hoses seem fine, but for the minimal cost probably should just toss them. I'm not worried about the t-stat. It is a genuine Ford or IH part, it is within the last few years and has seen good cooling system maintenance. There are no leaks, no running cold and no overheating. In addition to basic hand tools and a filter wrench any other tools you guys think of as "must haves"? Justin the extra vacuum pump is very good idea. I recall you made the long trek from Oregon to Tx to be with your lady. This is probably child's play compared to that in terms of the rural places you had to go through.

It was roughly 2500 miles, did it in 2 and a half days. Around 100 miles into my trip I noticed that my brakes had a bad effect of fadding. Another 50 miles and you had one attempt at braking, if you let off the pedal, and tried to brake again, nothing. Was fairly interesting, especially going through traffic.

Lots of fluids is a must, a little of everything.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the offer Jim, I might take you up on it sometime....but this route goes into the midwest. Thankfully avoids most big cities except looks like it goes around Chicago and Atlanta. Not a good place to have a problem with the brakes that's for sure. They will be getting a most thorough look if this actually happens.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
carry extra oil, fuel, and water.

I'd suggest some quick drying epoxy/glue that bonds well, and rubber sheets maybe? with those two you can macgyver quite a few things (flat tire, leaks, etc)

if you've got any leaks then your familiar with how they act, I wouldnt make the run unless it was dire if you doubt your engine, axles, or trans :dunno

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Biodiesel is hard to find at a normal service station. Only found one, and that was a Card lock semi fueling station in 4500 miles. Dayton Oh--Twin cities--Fargo ND--Julesburg CO--Aiken SC--Charlotte NC--back to Dayton OH.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is true. I feel pretty confident in the engine, axles and transmission, no major leaks, the radiator is the one that really scares me a little. I could keep an eye on it since it doesn't go through more than a few cups of coolant in a few months and it's plain to see it is on the rad and not the engine or heads, but I'm slightly afraid of it turning into a gusher at the worst possible time. I'm not opposed to co-ops or homebrewers as I will be staying with a friend for a few days and likely have some time on my hands. Thanks for the advice if anyone has anything else keep it coming.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The vacuum pump will require the pulley remover so add that tool to the tool kits for a trip. Usually the bottom radiater hose will last much longer than the top hose because it does not see the hot coolant directly from the engine... But it sounds old and questionable so change it out but recheck the clamps after about 100 miles... They tend to crush the hose and loosen up the connection. Then a very small leak strats...

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or maybe I'll grab one and a pulley out of the junkyard. Is there anyway to verify a vac pump works without having it on the truck? This may be a stupid question...