thinkin bout this 1988 f350 7.3 4x4??

DirtBug66

Reaction score
I might be buying this truck. its a 1988 ford f350 4x4 crewcab longbox witha 7.3 with a ats turbo on it and a 5 speed. its has bout 195,000 miles on her and i dont know how many miles with the turbo on it. it looks like a nice pickup. how long should it run on with that there turbo on it? :dunno and whats the stuff you can buy for the coolant to prevent cavilation or is that something i should be worried bout this truck with 195,000 on her??:sly

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
You will probably be good with the engine at 195K. You will need to make sure the rest of the setup is okay (steering and such). I bet the clutch and trans will need attention prior to the engine. For the coolant, check the FAQ section of this forum.

SWS

300.000 idi

Reaction score
Ford sells the additive for the anti-freeze. Its like 7.00 bucks for the system. I got a recall letter from ford on the coolant and they said to run coolant made for a diesel. They were having problems with corrosion in the water jackets.. I have a 91 with a non turbo 7.3 idi and its got 270,00 on the odometer but i contracted with it for 10 years and let the thing run all day in the winter on job sites so who knows how many miles are really on it. It starts a little ******* cold mornings so I just plug it in for about 2 hours and it starts like its hot. With all the miles on it I modified the battery trays and put two new regular size diesel batteries in it. The starter loves it. Also ran all new positive cables(that cost some bucks, the stuff is 3.00 a foot).Getting back to the coolant you can run the regular green but you for sure have to add the additive.

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
You're gonna love it. Truck like that, hopefully it's a lariat with some options. If the front D60 has been gone through, I'd say 3000-4000 would be a good price for it, probably closer to 4K if the front end has been done and the clutch is in good shape.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online