Think I killed the IP

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck and I got a ride home on a wrecker the other night. On the way into work I noticed low fuel pressure (as in zero psi) and it running rough. Well it was cold and I didn't have a spare fuel filter with me so I went on to work. On the way home the same thing was happening and it just shut off on the interstate. I was hoping that it was just air in the lines from where it had pulled so hard against a clogged filter (I'm running a clear prefilter, it was full of nasty stuff, likely because I just started adding power service to the fuel) and finally sucked air in. Well I got the air out of all the lines up to the IP, cracked the injector lines at the injectors, and I can't get any fuel there. While cranking I've got 4 psi.

Just thought I'd throw it up here in case any one has any $500 saving ideas for me to try. The FSS is clicking. I don't really blame the truck, as running vegetable oil is ******* them (thermal shock when I switch to VO once I'm up to temp) and running it on 0 psi wasn't exactly helpful I'm sure. Looks like the price went up $55 since I bought the current IP (18k miles ago, ouch). I'll probably just go with Oregon Fuel Injection again, as I was happy with this pump, unless someone other company is now producing quality IPs for less money. I know a baby moose would be great for me, but I can't afford the wait time to send in and have this pump rebuilt. What is Mel's website anyway (so I can go look and drool)?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Mel is now Conestoga Diesel. The web site is really nice. You need to ask if his warranty covers WVO or WNO.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mel is now Conestoga Diesel. The web site is really nice. You need to ask if his warranty covers WVO or WNO.

had that conversation with him....being that WVO or worse WMO as a fuel is inconsistent in chemistry....warranty is probably not going to happen...#2 or better for full warranty...

I would however speak with him directly yourself and confirm any such issues...

What kind of lift pump are you using, as it's not covered in your thread...

I had issues after USING WVO in a variety of blends 90/10 WVO/#2 to 50/50...my stock lift pump failed...due to a worn/cracking rotten diaphragm...I did a discetion here for others to see....

What symptoms you are describing is similar to what I had....then....

Al

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is possible the lift pump is causing the trouble, but I kind of doubt it. It is a 6 month old carter with about 3000 miles on it. I did verify that while cranking, it is putting out fuel (by catching it in a bottle), as well as once all the lines were hooked up it was making 4 psi.

BigDiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How long have you cranked it? Ive had the power wire come unhooked on my carter pump. It caused the truck to have no power and then shut down. I hooked the power wire back up and it fired up again. I would think even with a bad injection pump it should still produce fuel at the injector lines.

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I pulled the pump this afternoon, input shaft is broken. I did some reading in this thread http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?59938-Truck-died-again&highlight=vent+wire which gave me some ideas. I pulled the fuel screw cover, and looked in as I rotated the head, nothing moving. Just for the fun of it, it was kind of hard to see in there, I tried sticking a 5/32 allen in while rotating and it never moved. I wanted to post here for anyone looking for info in the future.

I think I'm done running WVO for now. I just moved to AZ, and don't have sources or a filtration setup anyway. I definitely think thats partly why this IP died so quickly, though it did save many times its value while it did run. Also running with a clogged filter was not too intelligent, live and learn and if I certainly can't get a tow home every time this truck does something weird or runs bad. Thanks for everyone's input.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
WVO is neat stuff but if you are going to run it you HAVE to COLD filter it down to 2 microns, and that is after letting it settle for a min of 2 weeks. If you dont settle enough or filter on the fly, you wind up with water and all kinds of unthinkable things in your fuel, and if you heat it to filter, you get all the heavy fats straight into your main tank where they clog the snot out of everything. I dont care how many magic bullet ideas these young guys have published on the internet have come up with. You simply cant fight physics ., and even THEN you have to heave heat going directly on the fuel going into the injection pump to catch unpurged fuel immidiately at startup.

I had a couple of the first veg burner cars out there and succesfully ran single tank systems, but the fuel was cleaner than pump fuel ( when I would show the car at alternative energy shows, I would have samples of the fuel in mason jars and it was so clean that people stumbling by in a daze thought I was selling honey LOL I should have cracked open the jar and let them get a whiff :eek: ) and the IP was up to full heat within 30 seconds of fire up

Even running 2 tank you have to count on incomplete purges and cross contamination of fuels.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I cold filter to 2 microns with proper dry washed bio diesel. And run a 10% blend in my diesels with an additional 2 micron filter and the only reason I run it is to INCREASE the pumps life due to added lubricity. So WVO can also benifit the IP if done right, IMHO

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online

No members online now.