The Performance Wars

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
It would be interesting to put in one of these torque cams and run the numbers again. Pm me if interested.

i still have my cam, hope to build a similar setup but intercooled over the summer. will post numbers once its done, she's gonna be tearin it up at the sled pulls soon ;Sweet

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I was one of Kens customers for his studs. I actually discussed the how to make them with him. I got the first or second set and installed them in my first build. They were great upgrades. It seemed much later on the studs began to fail. Some even failed without the engines ever turning over.... That was a heat treating issue that was out of Ken's hands. My studs failed in the second build for no known reason but I found them broken none the less. Ken has another business. This idi work is a second line of work and from what I was told he does not spend a lot of time in the shop so.... Getting ahold of him is difficult. From the sounds of things Ken is turning around the idi business he has and I'm pleased with that. He knows his stuff. Customer call backs are more important than selling something... No customers... No business. I'm watching carefully without casting aspersions any direction. We are family here first with a passion to help others.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
nmb2 I think if you were to do some research on turbo specific camshaft grinds you would change your mind about the overlap. you need to remember both sides of the head are under pressure, most of the time the exhaust is higher than the intake. overlap will cause revertion of exhaust gases into the combustion area.

x2 ;Sweet. THese things aren't gassers with dual quads and headers. Cam requirements are a whole different ballgame

letsfindout

Reaction score
Icanfixall, you are correct. Our idi work has always been a 2nd line of work that we do in the shop. Recently, it's really been picking up though. Our primary line of work is the Powerstrokes. We also stay busy doing repairs, as we have a 6 bay facility and there are only 2 of us that are full time, and 1 part time.

I imagine the idi market is going to pick up, as we have a feature article going into Diesel Power, and with the new H.O. pumps and turbo kits coming out soon.

As for the guys not being able to get a hold of us, please leave a message. Needless to say, we don't have time to roll through the caller id, see who called, and call them back. Callers who leave messages when we can't get to the phone get a call back. We're getting a better system down to be able to get to the phone when it rings, but we still have days where it's nigh on to impossible to get out of the shop and into the office in time to take every call.

- Ken

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I need to chime in here and state my position on this. First of all, let me remind everyone that Ken and I are friends (at last check anyway). I've met him, rode with him, and talked tech with him, and I have owned his pump and his injectors. I was an avid supporter for quite some time, and still hope that his products suceed. I do not want nor need to be the only performance option for the members of this board. I'd also like to remind everyone that I only offer a service. I am NOT a business such as DPS Performance. Consequently, it really does not matter to me that much if I don't see Moose Pumps going out the door every week. It doesn't affect my income stream, and I have nothing to loose if DPS suddenly takes the lions share of the market. Because I don't really make any money on the pumps I process, I'm not in a position to offer them up for free or as demo's or comparison units. I don't really feel I have to prove anything, as the 43rd pump just shipped out the door and I've never had to warranty one. Truth be told, only 2 people every had an issue, and these were resolved to their satisfaction. If a DPS pump and injectors make more horsepower than my stuff, then so be it. Remember, I decided to have this stuff designed to do what I wanted it to do. I was so tickled with it, I thought others might like it too. As a hobbiest, I'm interested in taking the design further, but not at my expense. The Super Moose lays in wait for the first person who would like to try it, but I won't be putting one on any of my trucks. It's not what I want in a recreational or daily driver. I DO appreciate the compassion and defense of the Moose Products by my brothers here. It's rewarding to see that I have been able to achieve a level of confidence that is not bestowed easily. It's easy for someone to claim one product is superior to another, when no real comparison is being made. What makes one product good and one bad cannot be measured on a single parameter. Quality and desireability is a group of traits that average out to a particular perception. There is no "War" here per sey. What we do have is the inevitable skeptiscism and disbelief that is worthy of a lofty goal. Any time a new threshold is challenged, it is always up to the challenger to prove that a new goal has been reached. And that cannot be done alone. It is the sum of the community and multiple people working in parrallel to establish a new axiom. The best way to prove sucess is to share and encourage duplication. One of our biggest challenges in getting more HP out of these motors is to get more than one person to do the same things. Any scientist will confirm a single test proves nothing. Tests must be verified and experiments duplicated to prove the result is achieved with the same formula. We all know a turbo is a great add-on because many of us have put the same turbo on and said "yea.. this is great". In fact this forum is filled with the wealth of what works and what doesn't. It is this emperical knowledge that is currently being challenged, and we must all allow the normal process to run its course. When NMB2 becomes the new standard by which others can produce identical results, then his way will become part of that accepted standard that everyone can point to as what works. The question yet to be answered is if it is duplicatable. And if it is not, then what value does it have? Time will tell.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Guys, you have to remember, competition is a good thing. It drives us to do that much better. And I am not saying between mel and ken. I am talking between all of us end users. If you had a 17 sec truck and someone else in a IDI got a 16.5, I am sure you would try that much harder to try and beat him. But if no one ever challenged you, you would most likely sit at the 17 sec mark. Now i realize there are very few of you that drag race your trucks or even built them for that purpose but I think you get the idea

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
see im just not like that ill build till it cant take anymore then build more i got plans in the works and a few know about them already but lets say there will be a much bigger aftermarket soon and this proformance war is starting it all so i think it will be nasty but once the storm is over well all be thnakful

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Hello Ken. Good to see you on this forum. I will be looking for the article in Diesel Power Mag. Do you know when its going to be out....Gary (icanfixall)

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Icanfixall, you are correct. Our idi work has always been a 2nd line of work that we do in the shop. Recently, it's really been picking up though. Our primary line of work is the Powerstrokes. We also stay busy doing repairs, as we have a 6 bay facility and there are only 2 of us that are full time, and 1 part time.

I imagine the idi market is going to pick up, as we have a feature article going into Diesel Power, and with the new H.O. pumps and turbo kits coming out soon.

As for the guys not being able to get a hold of us, please leave a message. Needless to say, we don't have time to roll through the caller id, see who called, and call them back. Callers who leave messages when we can't get to the phone get a call back. We're getting a better system down to be able to get to the phone when it rings, but we still have days where it's nigh on to impossible to get out of the shop and into the office in time to take every call.

- Ken
ken-
welcome back.;Sweet
did you have a previous username here?