The Performance Wars

FordGuy100

Reaction score
First off, we all know what this is about. I'm not here to defend or bash. Obviously Ken's products seem to be doing much better these days, as does his customer service. Thats great.

NMB2 you have an insane truck right now ;Sweet. Hats off to you for what you have done, and what you are going to do.

That said, this whole DPS vs. Moose needs to end. Its getting annoying for a lot of us. At first I understand what you were going through as everybody told you dont deal with Ken at DPS due to his lack of customer service. But you have proved that he might be back on track.

When I first started looking at performance, I wanted DPS products. I wanted them bad. Who wouldnt? He was, at the time, the only guy providing products for us IH IDI'ers.

Now at that same time I got to oilburners, and these are the types of posts I found. Copied and pasted from numerous different threads with different folks:

"

As you regulars know, I recently installed a DPS turbo-calibrated IP and stage 1 injector set in my '92. From the moment I installed the parts, I've been battling a rough idle. At first, I had a injector leaking externally, that Ken exchanged for me. I replaced that injector, and it cured the leak, but not my rough idle. I attributed the rough idle to not having the truck properly timed, and set out to get a timing meter. Meanwhile, the truck was running great, with better-than-ever boost numbers and power on the freeway. The idle just wouldn't smooth out...

I tried a zillion times today to reach Ken, but as we all know he's a busy guy with lots going on. I'm at the point that I just need my truck to run, and to run right. Tomorrow I plan to switch the #1 and #2 injectors to see if cyl #1 comes to life, and if I can see the flash through the lumy probe. If I determine the injector to be faulty, what can be done to fix it? Have it rebuilt locally? Replace the entire set with a locally sourced stock set? Hope the sun and moon align right to get hold of Ken?

I'd love to get hold of Ken, but I really need my truck to just run right, and waiting on him is getting hard to do.

Tried repeatedly to contact Ken this morning, and still no luck. I ended up taking 2 injectors in to a local shop ( a known good one and the faulty one) and was assured that they could match whatever Ken did.

I tried calling Ken a bunch today, for a long time it seemed the phone was off the hook. I wonder if he has more than a few injectors bad out of the box..... I was going to mention that he had a customer patiently waiting to contact him in NM...somebody that wasn't running him down, just needed a callback and some help quick..but I guess you got it taken care of and I have yet to speak with him,

I think Ken has a good design, but he's had some problems lately (this isn't the only Injector issue I've had) and he's impossible to get hold of on the phone. I get the impression that he's got more business than he can handle at the moment, which is good for him, but bad for the rest of us.

I arrived to find the injectors from DPS on the tester, and set up to show the spray pattern. The injector that I deemed to be faulty just dribbled fuel like water from a garden hose. The other injector that I thought was good had a very erratic spray pattern, which would change every time it fired. Turns out, all DPS does is take a good reman'ed injector, and grinds the pintle off the end. Then they raise the pop-off pressure to try and get the fuel to atomize, even though the pintle has been ground flat. The nozzle and the rest of the injector are 100% stock, according to the local guys at CMP.

ended up with 8 new Delphi injectors, that they bench tested to assure me they were good. I ran back to work, and immediately began tearing into my truck (good thing it was slow today at work...). I had all 8 injectors swapped out in 45 minutes, and the truck was running again. It idles as smooth as a new Camry now, with no more misfire issues. I was able to time it off of cylinder #1 for the first time, and took it for a ride.

It doesn't seem to have lost any noticable power, but it smokes less. Boost numbers are the same, and it's quieter. At this point, it cost me another $280 to get the damn truck running properly, but at least it runs.

I tried repeatedly today to contact Ken at DPS to discuss this with him before dropping money on new injectors, but never got through. Left several more messages with no return phone calls. Ken, if you read this, I challenge you to be a man, and contact me to arrange refunding my money on the injectors. I still have all 8 DPS injectors, and will return them upon receiving a refund on my credit card statement.

We'll see how long my DPS Injection Pump lasts before it ***** the bed...

I have been having probelms with hearing back from Ken also. He is making himself look bad.

Ken seems to have peaks and valleys of sucess. I'm not going to stand up for him - he should come in and do that himself. As for the injectors though, I will tell you what I know from conversations and observations. First, remember that he did R&D this stuff. He pulls with one of his trucks, so the mods he came up with are legit. That said, on the injectors, when I got my set I tested them. I was afraid to put them in! Compared to factory injectors, they spray horribly. That's because the pintle is actually missing, not just ground down. At least that's what I was told. To get the injector to flow more, the pintle had to go as it was too restrictive. About the only thing you can test for is pop presure. When PAFixitman had his adventure last summer, I came over and tested his DPS injectors, and we did find a leaker. That's not a surprise, as any injector, factory or otherwise, doesn't seem to work as good in the tester as it works in the engine. I suspect the lack of heat may be a factor. Ken's main issue with his mods seems to be quality control. Reasons of which I'm not sure, but I would think that if he would communcate with reliability, that all other points could be forgiven.

My comments since I have both the IP and injectors from Ken. The first IP I got from Ken had a flow problem on #7 cyl (huge fuel knock). I checked this by moving inj around and still could not resolve the huge fuel knock on #7. Sent IP and inj back to Ken and after a very long time (~2mos??) I got them back, installed and everthing ran great.

Ken has a time issue he needs to resolve. Would I buy from him again? Not at this time. Things could change, but that is up to Ken.

I wouldn't call the attitude in this thread or any of the other threads complaining on the lack of response from Ken as being mean spirited at all. Disapointed? Yes. Without a doubt. Ready to lynch him? No. IMHO, I think this thread would be a great venue for Ken to explain his side of what's going on in his camp. It is possible for him to turn this around by explaining himself here.

The DPS pump seeps fuel onto the valley pan, has since day one. I think I can likely turn up the pump and get some more out of it, I haven't touched the fuel screw on it at all.

"

Needless to say, with guys who knew MUCH more than I did, I was not going to go the DPS route.

Most of us live in the US. What dominates? Capitalism. Capitalism is best with compitition, as it spurrs inovations and newer products. So perhaps this DPS vs. Moose products challenge might give us IDI guys some new products to try out.

Ken, I hope you get your secretary. Your products seem to be doing better, with someone to answer the phones on a regular basis, I'm sure many of us former anti-DPS persons might convert back.

Cant we all get along? LOL

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I guess what I'm getting at is, there were enough people burnt on here with products or customer service (or combo) problems, that it will take some time to mend. I hope it does though, that dyno of NMB2's looks awfully impressive ;Sweet

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was trying so hard to stay out of this debate, but since a good chunk of what you posted came from my thread about DPS products and my experiences, I guess I'll chime in.

NMB2- Your truck is running great, bottom line. I was hoping create a thread like yours when I started tinkering with my fuel system, reporting how great my truck ran after installing a DPS Turbo cal pump and stage 1 injectors. I'm really glad to see that someone got some success out of the DPS products, and am over the fact that I didn't. I have no clue how you get over 20 PSI out of your truck, but it's cool. I can disconnect the wastegate line on my Aurora 2000 turbo and it maxes out at like 15psi with the intercooler. Without the IC I pegged it at around 17 psi, but didn't try it loaded down for a long distance for fear of blowing a HG. You should feel great about how your truck is performing, and my hat's off to you!

KEN- Good to see you on the board defending your stuff. I ended up removing my DPS injectors and selling them on the board, with the known idle issues. I still have the DPS turbo cal pump on my truck, but had to have it rebuilt because it leaked fuel on the valley pan so bad it'd puddle under the truck after about 9 months of use. It seems to work great now that it's sealed up, but had to do so at my expense. Hopefully things have changed for the better on your end since we did business.

Here's my $.02 for what it's worth. When I get around to fooling with my fuel system again, I'll be working with Mel. I don't drive my truck daily any more, so I'll have time to do things right and be patient. I imagine it'll get new HG's and some ARP studs before it gets Moosed, along with an aluminum radiator to keep temps in check. I'd love to be the next guy over the 300HP mark with my old IDI...

Ryan

NMB2

Dunce
Reaction score
everybody is waaaay too passionate about these damn rigs!! We are all arguing and bickering like little school girls. Its good that we are all so passionate but its turning into a grudge match... the DPS people vs the Moose or Other people. Its hard to not take some stuff personal with how tight knit this board is, but I insist that we all try better, myself included.

For the sake of saving future arguments, I've decided to just go low key on my new build, I think this is the best way to maintain peace, because it seems impossible for personal and indirect jabs to stop.

I am glad everyone is impressed with my IDI and I'm glad I could help everyone realize that the power barrier has always been a mental barrier. Hopefully now 300rwhp IDI's will become the norm.

I will help people in any way I can, just PM me, but as for starting/giving my opinions in threads, I'm done for now.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would be interesting to put in one of these torque cams and run the numbers again. Pm me if interested.

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
everybody is waaaay too passionate about these damn rigs!! We are all arguing and bickering like little school girls. Its good that we are all so passionate but its turning into a grudge match... the DPS people vs the Moose or Other people. Its hard to not take some stuff personal with how tight knit this board is, but I insist that we all try better, myself included.

For the sake of saving future arguments, I've decided to just go low key on my new build, I think this is the best way to maintain peace, because it seems impossible for personal and indirect jabs to stop.

I am glad everyone is impressed with my IDI and I'm glad I could help everyone realize that the power barrier has always been a mental barrier. Hopefully now 300rwhp IDI's will become the norm.

I will help people in any way I can, just PM me, but as for starting/giving my opinions in threads, I'm done for now.

when you are done with your new build can you post your specs? or would you like me to just pm you? i think if people dont anything nice to say they shouldnt say anything at all!! when i do my engine build i am going to try the dps products and then when money allows ill try the moose line products just for comparisions sake;Sweet

NMB2

Dunce
Reaction score
It would be interesting to put in one of these torque cams and run the numbers again. Pm me if interested.

I almost contacted you for this, but I found 2 other sources that can do new custom grinds on them, add some overlap and change the ramp rates would be great.

Yours are regrinds correct? What exactly is changed on them?

trapper

Boom Boom
Reaction score
Hell i tell you what Ken or Mel if you wanna send me free parts to build up this 6.9 ill send you my address and ill rep you both !!! LOL

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hell i tell you what Ken or Mel if you wanna send me free parts to build up this 6.9 ill send you my address and ill rep you both !!! LOL

I'll test the cam and Fuel system products for no charge.;Really

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes regrinds, Mostly exhaust side IIRC. They gave me some specs long ago. Cant find them on the new computer. It would be nice to have some different grinds available.

NMB2

Dunce
Reaction score
Yes regrinds, Mostly exhaust side IIRC. They gave me some specs long ago. Cant find them on the new computer. It would be nice to have some different grinds available.

Well, I know 2 people right now that can do a full custom ground cam. The lift on these cams arent bad, the biggest issue is no valve overlap, and the ramp rates are pretty slow. If just those two things were addressed it would make a huge difference on these motors.

I need to wait for my new IP so I can get a cam to match the IP.

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nmb2 I think if you were to do some research on turbo specific camshaft grinds you would change your mind about the overlap. you need to remember both sides of the head are under pressure, most of the time the exhaust is higher than the intake. overlap will cause revertion of exhaust gases into the combustion area. I agree the ramp is way to slow and the dwell over the nose is too short. The stock cam has a base circle of 1.580 and lift of .253 this is verry tame. I am workin on a new cam with more agressive ramps and more duration over the nose, and just little more lift.It has performed well on the computer dyno and I will soon be getting this new profile ground and tested in a block to make sure there are no fit problems with the lifters. it will most likely need custom pushrods because of the smaller base circle. after I check this for myself then I will put out the info for others to see. I am in final stages of designe now and will get this ground soon but not until I'm satisfied that I have the best performance without sacrificing durability.

Last edited: