The diary of my journey to the darkside.........

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
trans t-case are set, tank is out... and ***** fabbing a sending unit as we speak.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuel pump is plumbed, painting a camry over the weekend, and the family thinks they need time with me, so it may stop there for a couple of days

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Google:

Ford 401

New Holland 6.6

Brazillian Ford 6.6

6.6l I-6 made by Ferd, big ol honkin Ferd Oval on the valve cover..

Bosch MW pump, as it sits, a guy could flirt with 400/900 out of it, 350/825 ish would be comfy numbers to achieve, not much more than IC, fuel screw, the usual mods.

This one had a BHG, they did the head, still found h20 in the 710, so they pulled it. Could be a Plethora of things, bad head, oil cooler o-rings, cracked block. neverenufhp is kinda a guru on these things, and he thinks the odds of a cracked block are slim to none.

It is $400, with a freshly rebuilt ($800) turbo. i had my IDI sold on the board, and was buying it, (the 401) and then the guy backed out of that deal,(I can't blame him, he scored!!!) and I am still buying it, just at a $50 layaway plan. And now I just told my main client to pound sand, so $$$ coming in, is ? at best. Resilient I am, though... Hell I have made 1100 + on this swap, spent $150 - 200, and there is still more crusher money to come in.

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
Interest in a 6.6, I like it!
These poor little engines are kind of an unsung hero. They stuck them in heavy trucks and the highest factory rating I remember seeing is 190hp. Take a look at some sled pulling, and you'll see they use the 401 a lot still. Most of them actually use parts off the truck engine, because the head flows better, and the different intake plumbing with an intercooler, and who knows what else they use. It weighs about 100 more pounds than a Cummins 6BT. They had a Bosch A, or an MW pump. I aint not no expert though.

If you plan on running the stock fuel system with the fuel screw adjusted, the turbo would handle it. Otherwise, it's just way too small for any performance.

Last edited:

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so... got tank set back in place, I hate gas tanks, wait.. fuel tanks, aint a gasser no more.

ran all new lines, either in the frame, or above.

Plumbed heater core hoses.

Set slave cylinder on polished bellhousing.

Fired up the Corolla to go home.

Wait, whats that? A rattle? Ahh How cute.. the little Toyota wants to be an honorary diesel...

Wait a minute.. ***???????!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I spun a bearing in the Corolla tonight....

been 39 for an hour and a half at that point, and this year is already off to a weak start. Yes it was a quart (fuzz over a quart low on oil) but the run it had before it got parked wasn't that ruff...

Apparently Mobil 1 Synthetic is NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! a 13k mile oil change oil. have heard the gamut from 12k to 20k for change frequency.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I wrenched on Clyde tonight. Since no one wanted to pony up and buy the ATS turbo kit, I finished installing the turbo, and ran my down pipe. Was simpler than it seemed it was gonna be. The "fail" was that I had already installed crossover and up piping, and stem. Once I undid stem, bolted it to the turb, and then undid up pipe, removed crossover, it was moderately easy. Came off oil pressure sender for turbo feed, and teed it at turbo, one end of the tee, it drains into turbo, the other end dead ends into sending unit.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We would like to be your neighbor... might let ya drive ya if'n we do.. Somewhere between Kalispell and Missoula is where I think we want to end up.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't gotten anywhere, been handling a wetsand and polish for a buddy.. My poilsher went down, and he loaned me his, so...my livelihood revolves around his Cornwell, I can push Clyde to the side.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We will cross that bridge.. we want a road trip.. see my fathers birthplace (Evansville)

I may need a head. Fairly confident the block is not cracked, and also fairly positive head is also good, but it may be cracked, that could be why head gasket installetion was a fail point for them.

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you need any parts my dad has a complete ford L8000 with one in it that is blown

Speaking of L8000...here's ours at working hauling straw. It has a 6 speed and brazilian 6.6 and has no exhaust past the down pipe :yell:...I'll admit that it gets old on the long trips where you are just holding a steady speed, but otherwise its a lot of fun. Only the first minute of the video has the pickle truck in it, the rest is just pictures.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyUjDXa59Es

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want the gauges for sure! 1.30 minutes of that video was enough for me.. will rewatch after I get speakers hooked up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brb5

Members online