The diary of my journey to the darkside.........

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brok the good camera, so my pictures may be sketchy... and there are none yet.

Here is the story, I drive a 1990 Centurion Bronco. It was cursed witha 460 from birth. I daily driver it, and couldn't affor dthe fuel bill anymore, so we started buying parts pickups...

We bought a cab and chassis IDI with virtually no blowby, fired up and idled like a new truck. Paid $50 for my IH branded pyro ( ) will be buying a boost gauge from a Volvo at the pick and pull, either the more common 3 bar, or the rarer 5 bar, should more than register what I need registered... and I have an intercooler form a 7.3

Not the bell and flywheel, but we have those in the lifted truck.

(and the kicker is.... I got a free lift kit out of the deal, which I will need to fit the 40's I traded into, and then there is the 3.73 axles I traded down to from 4.10's, my NP435 should be pushing the truck down the road through the 40's and 3.73's at 2k rpm at 65 mph..... pimpin'!)

Got the donor (c&c) de clipped and should have cherry out tonight....

Will come back tomorrow with pics.

Last edited:

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool deal. Yes, we all want pictures.

I've gotta EFI 460 I need to sell as well. Hope to get at least $500+ out of it too.

Heath

Last edited:

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stupid question #1.

I am leaving the transfer pump in my gas tank to aid in the transfer of the new dismal fueling to the IDI....

How pissed off and confused will my IP be, if I attempt to leave the high pressure frame rail pump?

If a Holley Red is good, why isn't 40 psi better?

At this point I plan on swapping over the fuel system from the c&c which eliminates the pump, and quite possible the transfer as well.

Attempting to think outside the mainstream box, and ask the "Why not?" questions that don't get asked.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'm kinda confused about these pumps you speak of. One in the tank... One on the frame rail plus the mechanical pump on the motor....:confused: These injection pumps can handle around 6 lbs of pressure. After that the internal pump timing changes. Thats something you don't want. Now trying to use all the pumps like you describe will kill the injection system and... If you try to push thru the mechanical pump it will cause the diaphram in it to fail... Then the oil gets all the diesel in it. That will ruin the bearings on the crank. So its best to run a holey red type electric or the oem mechanical pump but not both or a combo of others. A pump with 4 to 6 lbs pressure is all you require.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
K. that was the explanation I needed. The transfer pump in the tank has very little psi, well under the 4-6 psi you mention, so I will allow it to remain, to take some of the strain off the mechanical pump, and aid in a faster fuel delivery at start up.

Like I said, I had planned to ditch the frame mounted gasser pump, it was just a question that had been plaguing my mind for a while, just never had the cajones to vox it.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Centurion IDI?! Good to see you made the right choice ;Sweet

Can't wait to see how it turns out :love:

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Intercooler is at the welder as we speak.... raining, so might not get anywhere tonight.. as much as I want it out, not gonna work outside in the dark in the rain, 20 miles from home. Tomorrow is just as functional.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you just told me to **** out.... AND.... do you work in the rain?

Mr little Cummins in the shop, IDI outrside in the servants quarters guy...

ROFLMAO!!!!

cetanefreek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well this twin (compound) turbo install SHOULD have just been a one night bolt in.... John forgot to tell me his Dodge was cursed. and both of us forgot about the trans heat exchanger on the side of the engine....

and yeah this should pay me more than we paid for all the parts rigs put together so um.... you just keep your butt out in the cold rain and dark!!!

LMFWAO

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
noone caught this yet so listen up
do not run diesel through gasser fuel system parts in theroy they work but they are not diesel rated stock you will need the whole diesel system out of the diesel truck
one the diesels dont have a pump in tank because the fuel does not need high pressure untill the ip a holley red will work but most of the idi fuel system is hose at some point and this hose when put to 40 psi will burst so if you use a holley red iirc thats a lower pressure but if you run 40 psi like a gasser then use all hard line or at least replace the fuel hose with fuel injection line looks the same but isnt yet again this stuff diesel rated is hard to come by

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And that was the other answer I have not read either.. so based on what I just read, the 1-2 psi transfer pump that is tank mounted is equally a bad Idea...

Good enough.

I have 4 IDI fuel tanks, and 2 complete fuel systems, so moving the IDI stuff over to my 33 gallon tank, won't be an issue.

IIRC, the sending unit opening is the same, had to put an IDI rear tank in an EFI truck once upon a time.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well got the dash and harness out, was thinking I was gonna swap my 90 over to 83.. but after looking at the harness, I am jut gonna run my EFI harnes with some things unplugged, driver side of the IDI's loom, was predominately lights, pass side was ALT and glow plug stuff, headlights as well. So.... gonna find my 2 or 3 hot wires to make the IDI happy, and roll coal forward.

Also, going to install it NA for now, have all the parts to make it pretty piump, nbut I want my truck back, and... interfooler is at trepair shop, PSD valve springs are somewhere else (with my name on them), ATS needs torn apart anbd cleaned, at the minimum, rebuilt at the maximum.. really want a typ4 cam.....

Might just NA this thing for a week or two, acquire parts, and then do a full nose off up-build...

Sounding boards advice....?

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you want it do the build up but DO NOT use a gasser tank the zinc coatign will flake off and kill youre ip use the non zinc coater diesel tank
but ya put it together run it then tear down itll make it a good trouble shooting time too cause if you have issues the turbo and modded parts are not an issue they dont exist

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7