The Big C

Drew2010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well guys im beginning to think my truck has the big c (cavitation) Its eating antifreeze and the blowby out my RDT is ridiculous. I did a coolant flush and put in a new thermostat, when I filled the radiator, i was noticing a slight bubbling in the radiator long after the air was bled out.

What do you guys think?

Also I have a lead on a N/A 94 IDI with 150k miles for $700. He said he would come down some. Sound like an okay deal?

Last edited:

sassyrel

Reaction score
Well guys im beginning to think my truck has the big c (cavitation) Its eating antifreeze and the blowby out my RDT. I did a coolant flush and put in a new thermostat, when I filled the radiator, i was noticing a slight bubbling in the radiator long after the air was bled out.

What do you guys think?

Also I have a lead on a N/A 94 IDI with 150k miles for $700. He said he would come down some. Sound like an okay deal?

sounds ok on the engine price,except you dont know if he kept the sca up..........................sooooooo, you could be back in the same boat...but your one borrowed time with yours....unscrew the rad cap..so theres no coolant pressure in the engine.....

wmoguy

Reaction score
for comparative sakes my 93 has a $800 motor in it out of a 89'ish truck and I sold the 2wd ZF5 attached to it for $300 for a net price of $500 :sly I'd say $700 for that setup provided you get to hear it running isn't too bad

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well at this point all you know for sure is your looseing coolant.... That could be from a head gasket.... A cracked head in the intake area or cavitation... Nothing to do but tear it down and see whats going on. So If you get the other engine and install it... Find out its ok just run it but... Tear down the original engine and find out whats going on. You may only need head gaskets. Then save it or sell it and make back some money...

mrbison

Reaction score

Sounds like a good deal to me. I got my 84 NA 6.9 for $500 and you are looking at a 94. As long as it doesn't need a lot of work, I'd say that's a no-brainer!

Drew2010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i have been loosing into the oil, this cant be good on the bearings.

So general consensus is but the new engine and do a teardown on the old and sell if still okay?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That may just be an oil cooler o-ring problem too from what you just posted... Sure a lot easier to replace the oil cooler o-rings than it is to replace a engine...