TECH 101 86 down, 87-91, 92 up Std pedal assemblies!!

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^^^ Good point, and not a side note at all. Usu. if you're existing positioning of the arm is good, you can go with re-attaching in the same position. But if you've been fighting actuation issues, slop, etc, the above is a good idea; after all it's that relative position of the arm that makes all the difference. 'Course, '83-'86 vintage trucks (dunno about the '87-'91s) have the option of a length-adjustable pushrod, less than ten bucks shipped from RockAuto, which makes those issues go away.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Just a quick question if anyone knows.
Can the assembly be removed without pulling the column? Say if just drop the steering shaft a out of the way?
And also, I've never seen anyone mention it, but what about lubricating the bushings during assembly?
Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you disconnect the shaft and push the telescoping section in toward the firewall, and you snake the pedal box around to just the right angle, and find the right curse words but not so loud the neighbors hear, it'll come out with the column in place. And yeah, IIRC I put some Sil-Glyde on mine as I assembled it.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Sweet. Just what I have.
And hell yeah, after everything was loose, probably took a 90 seconds to pull it out. Lol
This is my 94 psd. It has the "upgraded" pedal assembly with a hex welded in the common wear end.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Okay. So here's that upgraded part I was talking about. Not sure if it's supposed to be replaceable, but as you can see, mine was worn.
You must be registered for see images

So I went to lkq, was out the door in about 10-15 minutes.
The new to me one was in pretty good shape, but had slight play. So I went ahead and threw my new bushings in.
I still couldn't get the clutch bushing to work. So before long I'm gonna do the heim joint.
Also the assembly that came out of my truck had been modified previously. I'll get a pic of that in a bit.
Gotta nice firm no play pedal now.
Used to engage a few inches off the floor. Now maybe a inch below the brake pedal.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still couldn't get the clutch bushing to work. So before long I'm gonna do the heim joint.
I've had a brand new plastic pushrod bushing pop out, on about the second time I hit the pedal. I'm running the cheapo brass tubing / drill stop collar fix on both PSDs, so far so good, smooth as silk. The '85 IDI has a brass tube bushing, but it also has a new adjustable pushrod ($6-ish RockAuto) and a faincy r-clip going through a hole in the bellcrank pin.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I tried finding a brass bushing, but didn't have any measurements in hand to compare. Just what the counter guy at orielly measured with a mic. So then tried converting that to fractions of an inch, just wasn't working out. Lol

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^^ 1/2" OD, 7/16" ID. My local Ace Hardware (old school place, wooden floors, old black dog sleeping in the aisle) didn't have that exact size, but they had 1/2"OD x 15/32"ID, and 15/32"OD x 7/16"ID, so I just slipped the one inside the other; solution in two layers.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Sweet. I'll have to see what I can find.
All I had near was tractor supply.
But can go a town over and have ace, lowes, home depot, fastenal, etc.