TECH 101 86 down, 87-91, 92 up Std pedal assemblies!!

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you check the ID? Having just had a 92, 87 & 85 petal together it seems like the later ones have a smaller bore but maybe that's cause they didn't use plastic bushings? I can't recall why exactly (which is really bad since this was like 2 days ago :rotflmao) but I remember noting that they weren't quite as interchangeable as they looked.

Conversion is a very easy thing to do - you need a saw, a drill and a welder. Cut the old pin flush, then drill and weld a new one in. I used a grade 8 bolt - I'd think grade 8 or 5 should be fine. I picked 8 since that's what I had and I figured the harder surface would help with wear. As long as you use a bolt or something with a head, the weld really isn't that critical - the load is 90% shear on the pin and the weld just holds in place. There's no real load on the weld unless you really goofed and made the hole 1/4" bigger than the bolt or something.

The stock pin is 9/16". I used a 1/2" bolt so that I could use a bronze bearing insert instead of the plastic sleeve. I'm waiting to get the master hooked back up to see how well it actually works out. I also rebuilt the clutch master pin with a 3/8" grade 8 bolt and a bronze bushing so hopefully no more clutch pushrod wear.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seems like there would be a market for someone with the skills to convert vacuum pedals to hydroboost pedals. Now that the pedals seem to be the same for all years. Al, is the shaft diameter the same on them all? I guess liability would be a big problem with a program like this.

First thank you for bringing this up, it's something I never even considered.

I never thought to gauge the shaft or pedal mounting bores to be different than one another. I can see bushings making up differences but I really cannot and will not say for 100% until I measure.

I'll do my best to make comparisons and document that here for future reference.

Again thanks for bringing up that point for me to check :D

Al

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok everyone,

I just went and did a measurement comparison of all my pedals again.

OD of brake pedal pivot tube is 1.030"-1.035"

I did not disassemble the assemblies and remove all the pedals to check the ID however:

ID of brake pedal pivot tube was 0.843" as indicated on my digital caliper. This was my lone pedal I plan on doing a pin relocate on for hydroboost.

Hope this helps everyone in their search for pedals

Al

Sw1tchfoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anyone give me a quick summary of the tools I will need to grab a 1980-1986 manual pedal assembly from the junkyard? I would rather bring the minimum amount so my tools don't walk away.

ryanecvbrown

Credo Quia Absurdum
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I felt today was a great day to do some checking of some hardware I have floating around

ONCE AND FOR ALL dispelling myths and conjecture

Well for those that seek knowledge of brake pedals please look here!

I have for you today layed out my assemblies, (granted all for standard trans/vacuum brake) and I also grabbed my single stand alone 87-91 Std trans vacuum brake pedal for this as well.

For comparison I wanted to see if the brake pedals where the same or not. I labeled what I could as in the first set of images in this thread.

You will see by measurements and comparing the 87-91 pedal to the 86 down and 92 up that there is indeed little if any difference other than manufacturers variances.

I've done my best to measure in the same way on all the pedal assemblies but clearances made it just off a bit. Take this into account as I feel very confident they are the ONE and the SAME throughout the years. I know for me I'd use any year on any pedal assembly.

What I'm getting at is for those wishing to do a Hydroboost just grab the damn thing off any year with pedal lines and PS reservoir and swap your vacuum pedal out and the hydro in! It won't matter if it's an 97 pedal in an 84 or 94 they are for all intents and purposes the same setups just different mount brackets!

So here are todays pics for you to understand visually what I'm saying!

Here they are all layed out with the single 87-91 vacuum brake pedal in the foreground
You must be registered for see images attach

stand alone pedal

86 down setup

This shot shows the 86 down assembly with the 87-91 pedal resting under the 86 pedal to show similarities, believe me when I say they are practically the same pedal

Here is the 92 up setup, I have two one with the nut for more surface area for bushing and one without both are the same pedal

And again I've layed the 87 pedal onto the assembly for comparison purposes

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that we can fully interchange our pedals from STD pedal to STD pedal, I cannot confirm that with auto's however I suspect it would be similar.

I hope that this helps everyone in their quest for a pedal for hydroboost.

There will be one more update to this with the creation of my HYDROBOOST pedal from the lone 87-91 and retrofitted into my 92 up pedal assembly.

Thanks for reading

Al

I was referred to this post in my quest for interchangeability. I'm swapping everything from my '87 SCLB to an '84 XCLB NEXT WEEKEND and the dang pedal was my only hiccup since I can't find an '86-down anywhere locally at a reasonable price. Thank you so friggin much for takin the time to detail all of this!!! I didn't look, but if this ain't a sticky it should be IMHO.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was referred to this post in my quest for interchangeability. I'm swapping everything from my '87 SCLB to an '84 XCLB NEXT WEEKEND and the dang pedal was my only hiccup since I can't find an '86-down anywhere locally at a reasonable price. Thank you so friggin much for takin the time to detail all of this!!! I didn't look, but if this ain't a sticky it should be IMHO.

Thanks for the kind words.

Good luck in your search, IMHO you do indeed need the correct pedal assembly, however one caveat, and this is a HUGE MAYBE...I can't say this will work but the 87 pedal and column may work...but I STRONGLY suspect it won't fit in the 86.

I've done quite a few Tech 101 and if you do a search for that as thread title and my name as username, in the advanced search you will then find them all!

Good luck with your swap, Oh BTW, I happen to have a couple of std transmission 86 and down pedal assemblies...

Just sayin!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Hey Al, do you have a tech article on bushing replacement?
I thought you had one, but didn't find it.
And also curious if hydroboost and vacuum assist would be the same?

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What bushings in what pedal assembly....and NO hydro and vacuum brake pedals are completely different in that the pin location is higher up on the hydro pedal by about 3/4" IIRC

ryanecvbrown

Credo Quia Absurdum
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words.

Good luck in your search, IMHO you do indeed need the correct pedal assembly, however one caveat, and this is a HUGE MAYBE...I can't say this will work but the 87 pedal and column may work...but I STRONGLY suspect it won't fit in the 86.

I've done quite a few Tech 101 and if you do a search for that as thread title and my name as username, in the advanced search you will then find them all!

Good luck with your swap, Oh BTW, I happen to have a couple of std transmission 86 and down pedal assemblies...

Just sayin!

I'll have the auto pedal assembly out later this week. It would be nice if I could swap the guts from my current setup into the '84 auto pedal ass'y but I haven't taken a close look since it was delivered to my house yesterday for teardown. If I can make the '87 unit fit under the dash with some fab work, I'll post it with pics and details next week on this thread. Honestly id rather just use the correct ass'y so if you're up for selling one, shoot me a PM with a price and I'll try and calculate shipping from BC to CA.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like the pivot bushings up top.
On a obs set.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Nope don't have one will do one when I do my OBS pedals and create a Hydro boost pedal at same time. I'll do two Tech 101's for those two items.

I'll have the auto pedal assembly out later this week. It would be nice if I could swap the guts from my current setup into the '84 auto pedal ass'y but I haven't taken a close look since it was delivered to my house yesterday for teardown. If I can make the '87 unit fit under the dash with some fab work, I'll post it with pics and details next week on this thread. Honestly id rather just use the correct ass'y so if you're up for selling one, shoot me a PM with a price and I'll try and calculate shipping from BC to CA.

In all honesty, it's likely best if you create your own thread for your conversion and just add a link if you like from this thread.

That keeps continuity of this thread for what it was intended.

IMHO and I don't fully grasp what you are doing or planning, however if you are planning to convert a pedal assembly from auto to manual that WILL NOT WORK. They are completely different assemblies and nothing lines up like you hope.

Good luck either way you go but please do your own thread ;)

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bushings don't need much of a write-up. Once you get the pedal box out of the truck (or buy one from a fellow member, hint hint....), just take note of the relative positions of the clutch pedal and the arm on the other end of the shaft. Then loosen (but don't remove) the nut on the lever end, and pry on the lever with TWO screwdrivers / pry bars until it's loose from the splines. This is why you leave the nut on loose; if that lever comes loose all at once you don't want it to go flying. Then remove the nut, and the lever, and the shaft slides out the other end. Remove the old bushings, install the new, re-install the lever and nut (based on position noted at start), lube, and install the assembly to the truck.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bushings don't need much of a write-up. Once you get the pedal box out of the truck (or buy one from a fellow member, hint hint....), just take note of the relative positions of the clutch pedal and the arm on the other end of the shaft. Then loosen (but don't remove) the nut on the lever end, and pry on the lever with TWO screwdrivers / pry bars until it's loose from the splines. This is why you leave the nut on loose; if that lever comes loose all at once you don't want it to go flying. Then remove the nut, and the lever, and the shaft slides out the other end. Remove the old bushings, install the new, re-install the lever and nut (based on position noted at start), lube, and install the assembly to the truck.

SIDE NOTE....

Better to leave the clutch lever or actuating arm that the clutch pushrod connects too OFF UNTIL pedal assembly is installed in the truck. Then slip it into clutch pushrod eye...slip on shaft...tighten nut..no worries about being in wrong spot...

This is based on personal experiences ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online