Tans Temp in auto trans?

pedro_8149

7.3L Remote Turbo
Reaction score
i have removed the plug on the drivers side of the trans, just infront of the shifter linkage. i put my sending unit in there and was told that is about 30degrees cooler then what the main fluid in the pan is. True or not? and i am wondering what i should see for driving it hard with no load being pulled. I see just over 180 in that location. is this to high i think it is. either way i want to put an auxilary heavy duty trans cooler with a built in fan on a switch. what is the biggest i can put on it without loosing flow and what size should i use for the tubbing? i want the best and biggest possible all and any help greatly appreciated.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everyone does it different, I have always put mine in the cooler line on all my vehicles. I was allways told that the cooler lines were the hottest point due to the torque converter slippage, some agree, some dont. The important part is that you have a gauge and watch it! IF your replacing the lines 3/8 is the minimun I would go(stock is 5/16) Also get the biggest cooler you can afford and change your fluid regularlly. Your trans will thank you.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The above posting is very true. As the fluid leaves the trans it goes up to the cooler. Then it returns to lube and cool the rear bearings and seals so. You can see some hot fluid will be dumped into the pan just like the fliud that drips down off of everything else like the clutches. I run a sender in my Mag-Hytec pan and my temps reached 185 to 195 when the outside temp was about 105. I was hauling 2 horses in a 3 horse steel slant load trailer. About 5000 lbs towing.

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
I have my sender on the return line from the coolers. empty it barely registers. Pulling the travel trailer it hovers near the 200 mark.

I used to have it on the hot line pre cooler, but I was reading 325+ pulling the trailer and that basically freaked me out.

pullcat

Registered Cruiser
Reaction score
The next thing on my "MUST DO LIST" is a tranny gauge. Are my only options for the location either in the return line or in the pan, or does my C6 have a port like the E40D for the sendor? I was getting ready to install one in the return line but then I heard a rumor that was not a good spot.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a port on the C6. Can't recal at the moment where it is though.

Ford428CJ

FE Freak!
Reaction score
I install mine on the exit side of the pump (goes to the cooler). about 6" away from the C6 case itself. No load, it runs on a hot day about 165. Loaded I see 200. JMHO

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70

Staff online