t19 fluid change

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so the only consistant thing I have read is you fill it to the top of the upper hole....but I have also heard to fill it with ATF, 90w, etc, to the point that I am thinking maybe some cooking oil would work :dunnocookoo

can someone please set me straight

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The T-19B takes the same stuff as your rear axle. Good ol' 80-90wt. hypoid gear oil. The real stinky stuff. :sly ATF is for sissies. And ZF-5's.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What Mel said. Gear oil, not ATF. Fill it up until it runs out of the fill opening and you're good.

Heath

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
go to know....thank you guys. I have not opened this one up, but from the way it sounds and feels I gotta gut feeling there is maybe 2 drops left in it with a little sludge for good measure...anything worth running through it first just to clean it out? I have no history on this truck, it was just too good a deal to pass up for a solid running 6.9

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could always leave the drain plug out and just put a quart of the correct oil through it to flush the floor off. :dunno

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want to flush it out, fill it up high through the shift tower with diesel. Let it sit and soak a bit, don't run it. Drain it out, and let it drain for a while. Fill with correct fluid, drive it a bit to warm it up, and drain/refill it again just to make sure all of the diesle and gunk is out.
Travis..

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having had a T19 apart, there is a floor below the gears and I'd think any nasty stuff would settle down there. I'd be somewhat hesitant about having anything in there that wouldn't be a good lube to leave in there because the drain plug is above the floor and it might be hard to get rid of whatever you have in there. I have 15W-40 Amsoil synthetic in my T18 and it's been in there since I swapped it in. It seems to be happy. It shifts nice and quiet even floating gears and there were no shavings in it when I changed the oil last summer. I would be afraid of the waste cooking oil and you don't want ATF in there, but I'd say any good motor oil which is 40 weight or thicker hot would be good. Mel is correct though in saying that 80w-90 is what BW calls for and there's nothing wrong with using that. That would be my choice if I was running mineral based oil most likely.

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, I was kidding about the cooking oil....good to know that the drain is higher then the floor. My biggest concern is that it feels like there is near nothing in it so I am a little worried about what kind of crap will get raised when I refill it.
I think right now I will drain it, refill it with some 40w, run it a bit (like 5 miles or so...just enough to circulate and come to temp), then drain and strain to see what there is as far as solid contaminants. If it looks bad repeat it, if not refill with 80-90.
Thoughts?
Is there any recommended additive to keep/make things happier?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
T-19's are pretty tough. The drain plug is a magnet also I think , so just taking that out will tell you a lot.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt a T19 will have any serious damage unless you habitually grind gears or ever bang one really bad, or completely run it out of oil. I'd tend to worry more about a cracked bellhousing. Your plan sounds really good, but I might drive it a little further if it were mine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online