t stat job?

hayisforhorses

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just sizing up the job of changing the thermostat looks like a bigger job than i thought any advice?:dunno

NCheek

Howdy
Reaction score
It's a bit of a task simply because you have to remove all of the bracketry on that side of the engine to get to the housing, but other than that, it's pretty standard.

Also, only use the motorcraft thermostat, the off brands are of a different construction and will cause cooling issues.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's an annoying job, not hard, but alternator has to come out. If your valvecovers are leaking, now would be a good time to change them, as for that the fuel filter tower needs to come off, which also requires alternator removal. Heck, the tower may need to come off for the thermostat too, been quite a while since I changed mine...

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Just sizing up the job of changing the thermostat looks like a bigger job than i thought any advice?:dunno

You and me both :rolleyes:

I am going to change my temperature sender out for a known working one first and see what I am running on the gauge.

I have little to no heat in the cab, radiator is cool to the touch after long hard drives and the gauge BARELY moves off the bottom of it's travel (and my aftermarket gauge sender bit the dust).

I think my t-stat stuck wide open and I want to investigate it before it sticks closed and ruins my engine.

david_lee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the alternator and vacume pump have to come off as well as the tower in order to get to the t-stat housing. you dont have to remove the tower from the truck, but it does help a lot to disconnect the hard line running to the injection pump. then its just two bolts to remove the housing. it is only time consuming, not hard at all.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the alternator and vacume pump have to come off as well as the tower in order to get to the t-stat housing. you dont have to remove the tower from the truck, but it does help a lot to disconnect the hard line running to the injection pump. then its just two bolts to remove the housing. it is only time consuming, not hard at all.

In that case, definitely a good time to do VC gaskets as well. Wish I thought of that a while back, now I gotta do the same job over again... oh well, live and learn I guess.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Now what about a serpentine setup? What all has to come off for that to be done?

I suppose I still have to take apart half the front of my engine to get at things, eh?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll need a new alternator, A/C compressor, vacuum and power steering and water pumps along with the crankshaft will need their pulley swapped. You'll also need all the brackets these bolt up to, and a belt tensioner of your choice (two styles available). Basically you take everything off the front of the engine sans the water pump, then install the serp setup pieces.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
I think he means what about the trucks that have serp belts. I believe that it's the alt and filter brackets that must be removed on our trucks goofyexponent. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For a serpentine belt its a pretty easy job. Take the belt off, then the three bolts that hold the alternator bracket to the block (after disconnecting batteries and wires going to the alt). Then you have to take the water neck thing off and there's your thermostat. The fuel filter tower and all that can stay in place, it'll be loose but will stay where it needs to be for this job. I'd suggest at least draining some of your coolant into a clean container if you're not changing out the coolant at the same time, makes for a lot less mess.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
You'll need a new alternator, A/C compressor, vacuum and power steering and water pumps along with the crankshaft will need their pulley swapped. You'll also need all the brackets these bolt up to, and a belt tensioner of your choice (two styles available). Basically you take everything off the front of the engine sans the water pump, then install the serp setup pieces.

Sorry...I should have been a little more clear in my question cookoo lol.

I might as well change out the coolant, as god knows HOW long it's been in there. This time she is getting the good "purple" coolant with the SCA's made right into the antifreeze!;Sweet