Swap idi for gas motor

Badassford23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi I have a 92 f250 it has a 351 in it that runs fine. But I haul a offroad toy amd need more power I can bet a motor for 600 with80000 on it. I w as told the idi s good but you not gogoing to tow faster then 55/60

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
55 or 60 more or less. Depends what your hauling (weight and wind resistance), and incline if any.

A turbo helps a lot. If you slap a tired NA engine in, dont expect a ton... Cam grind and studs with a decent turbo and good rearend gearing and you can haul nice probably while getting decent mpgl:sl

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What gears do you have in your truck now and what trans will you be using? This will play a pretty big factor in NA towing.

I love my E40D (when it works) and 4.10s.

Last edited:

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
my truck was born with a 351 gasser c6. Its now a 6.9idi with a turbo (was a 7.3) it will WALK all over the gasser doing anything.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine started life with a carb'd 460/C6. The 460 would run circles around the NA IDI. If I had a turbo it would be a different story.
I've heard more times than I can count; "a 460 will pass anything but a gas station".
This statement is common for a reason.
My brother used to have an 85 with a nicely built 351W. The truck was heavy enough that you had to run the 351 hard enough that it got just as bad of gas mileage as the 460, but with less power.

02x72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just towed my 27" fifth wheel camper 600 miles today. C6 with 3.55's and 33" tires and I was doing 65 most of the way. Except through the black hills, the truck did not like that part of the trip.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
Mine started life with a carb'd 460/C6. The 460 would run circles around the NA IDI. If I had a turbo it would be a different story.
I've heard more times than I can count; "a 460 will pass anything but a gas station".
This statement is common for a reason.
My brother used to have an 85 with a nicely built 351W. The truck was heavy enough that you had to run the 351 hard enough that it got just as bad of gas mileage as the 460, but with less power.
aint that the truth. one of my F250's had a efi 460 with a 5 speed zf5. That truck would pull ANYTHING. But my turbo idi is another story.

Badassford23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would be ranning a zf5 with 410 is it alot of work to do this swap I know the wiring no big deal I also found a motor trans n a tcase for 1300 obo with 150,000 miles on it what.should I do

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a complete 89 F250 that had a cab fire and swapped the entire drive train over to my 84 except for the transfer case and rear drive line. Also used the fuel tanks, steering column, and a bunch of other odds and ends.
Definitely helps to have a whole truck as a donor vehicle.
Around these parts you can find a decent running IDI for that kind of money. Then you can recoup alot of the cost by selling off/scrapping what's leftover. But it does make for a lot of work. The only original parts left on my truck are the cab, frame rails, and transfer case. I did all of the work in my driveway in front of my single car garage. Took me about 3 weeks of long nights and weekends to get it all done. But I also swapped out all of the front/rear suspension as well to get the 4.10 gears.

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would be ranning a zf5 with 410 is it alot of work to do this swap I know the wiring no big deal I also found a motor trans n a tcase for 1300 obo with 150,000 miles on it what.should I do

ZF5 w/ 4.10s would be a beast even with a NA IDI, properly running of course.

They dont have the HP of the 460's but arent that far behind in TQ. And they get substantially better MPGs than a 460.

With proper gearing a NA IDI will pull anything a newer diesel will, just not as fast.

7.3_IDI_guy

Currently ******'
Reaction score
This thread is blasphemy!!! The IDI gods are gonna come down ******* you sir :rotflmao Put that $1300 in a good used turbo and a turbo calibrated IP, and turn it up... then you'll have yourself a respectable toy hauler. Assuming the head gaskets dont crap out and the EGT's don't go sky high. dyoung14 (David) pulled my 89 F250 7.3 4x4 with his 86 F250 6.9 NA 4x4, it was pretty much pullin its own weight and it didnt even get hot. Of course it didn't like these Tennessee mountains but it got the job done. I'm sure your offroad toy can't weight much more than the 6-7000 lbs an F250 weights :dunno

Last edited:

Badassford23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet thanks for all the,info I wish I could get a donor truck but I live michigan n ppl wants to much for stuff. I have a 92 so would I have to change the streeing colunm out

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
Sweet thanks for all the,info I wish I could get a donor truck but I live michigan n ppl wants to much for stuff. I have a 92 so would I have to change the streeing colunm out

These columns are modular. I didn't have a parts track when I did my swap. Just pm me and I'll show u what I did with my gasto diesel swap

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has 33 inch tires and 3:55 gears. N/A and it pulls my loaded traielr with 7k pounds just fine.