Swap idi for gas motor

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
55/60? Bah, I cruise around 75 to 80 unloaded sometimes. When I drove from Colorado through Utah and Arizona last summer with my 3000lb plus camper and gear I was doing about 70 to 75 all day(the heavist I have towed for days at a time). Of course I wouldn't be ******* it when I had some gnarly head winds that arise in the desert. I definitely would not go faster than 75 with any truck towing a trailer though.

Last edited:

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got donor vehicles for my conversions and it does help with the little details. Some details I just have to figure out yet.

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
Yea I agree about the 75 mph towing just want to get some info on the swap n everything what gears r you running n trans

I was driving my '94, so 4.10gears and an E4OD. Some say do not tow in OD, but mine did fine once I was above 60 in OD. Of course I slowed down for hills and locked it out of OD because I did not want to cook my trans.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO, 4.10's and 35" tires is a perfect combination; it's the equivalent of 3.73 gears with stock size tires.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
My truck, see sig, is definitely not the fastest, or certainly not the most powerful out there, but she has handled everything I have thrown at her. Full bed of green red oak, bed full of cinder block, 23 foot boat... you get the picture. Shes not going to win any races, but with a 23 foot boat you shouldnt be driving 70 no matter what you are driving. The real advantage of the diesel is the fuel economy, especially when towing. My buddy has a f150 with a 300-6 and gets 10mpg. With mine, 7100 lbs empty, I get 15. And thats with 4.10 gears and a heavy foot. Any load on her its not going to drop the mileage much, if any.

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just for FYI, I just finished a 10K mile camping trip with my truck, a converted 1989 Uhaul with a 7.3IDI running on WMO. I crossed the scales at 25,400 which included the truck and our van on a dolly. For all but the longest/steepest grades, I was running 66-68 mph all day long. Since you'll weigh substantially less than me and not have the huge frontal area to push wind, I can't imagine that you wouldn't be able to run 70mph....

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In this area, you can usually find 4WD ZF5's for about $500, and transfer cases are about $100. If these are prices similar to your area, you might be ahead to source them separately. But it's always nice to get a matched set, especially if it has a good clutch in it.