Stripped CPS Bolt Threads.............

dieseldirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changed my CPS for the first time, and the threads for the bolt that holds it in place are stripped bad. I was thinking of looking for an oversized thread cutting bolt, is this OK?

Also, is it normal for there to be some engine oil on the sensor itself?

Thanks!

dieseldirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks.. It is so hard to access the area I was thinking just putting an oversized thread cutting bolt in there would be easiest ..... only question is where will the shavings end up?

dieseldirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I had good enough access I would fix it more properly like with a threaded insert....... I wonder if someone put the wrong bolt in there at some point? This seems like a weird problem to be having......

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure it's a 10mm bolt, could be a .01mm or a .025mm, one is fine and one is course threads.IIRC

dieseldirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, crisis averted!!! Also, I think the truck runs a little nicer with the blue CPS. Hopefully it will fix my stalling problem.

I googled this problem and I guess the steel bolt stripping out the aluminum threads is pretty common. Mine pulled so many threads out, that I could just push the bolt in there and pull it back out with my fingers. I'm thinking they were previously damaged and/or the bolt was too wore out.

I read that the threaded bolt hole goes in about 3/16" deeper than the length of the original bolt, so I went out and got a few different lengths of 8mm coarse thread allen bolts, and sure enough the first one I tried tightened up real nice. Used plenty of anti-seize.

My plan B would have been to try a stud and some jb weld, only problem is if the stud is too long you can't plug in the CPS.