Strange oil leak. Trying to pinpoint the problem.

mattplumber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As of recently my turbo truck has developed quite a bad oil leak and i'm having doubts as to where its originating from.
For some reason I have oil pooling in the back of the valley pan under the intake. Ive been sticking wads of shop towels back there for the past few days to try to clean it up, but it keeps coming back. Also, if I park the truck on a hill nose down, the oil seems to run from the back of the valley up to the front of the engine and drip beside the IP and run down the front oil cooler header. At first I thought it was the oil cooler leaking but it appears that it isnt so.
I also thought for a minute that it was the advance piston leaking on the IP. I proved that theory wrong when I took a 300 mile trip this weekend and got pretty good fuel economy but horrible oil leaks/consumption (used a gallon of oil in 300 miles).
It is clearly black diesel oil and not diesel fuel as I had previously thought.
My guess would be something related to the turbo oiling. The oil feed line to the turbo is nice and dry so i'm guessing that it may be the turbo oil drain.
How does this drain work? What seals it up? Does the turbo itself have to be removed to repair it? I can feel around down there and it seems that its piped into where the CDR would be on a N/A truck. Unfortunately I dont have a small enough mirror handy to be able to see back there to figure out whats going on.

Anybody got a pic or two of a turbo engine out of a truck do I can see how this drain is attached?
Furthermore, do any of my theories hold water? Anyone else experienced similar problems?
As usual, any and all help is much appreciated.
I hope everyone had a great 4th, and those who went enjoyed the rally!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
My bet is the turbo oil return line grommet to the valley pan is gone bad. A picture wouls be nice too but I understand the location. Yes, the turbo will need to be removed for a quality repair. Sorry to say that. I know what its like removing a turbo. Done it many times myself...

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
I had oil pool up in the valley once and it was the timing cover leaking right under the IP pump

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin