Straight Pipe Or.....

Straight Piped Or.....

• Total voters

N.E fjord-by-fjord 2fiddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chopped the muffler section out of the stock exhaust... Welded the 90 deg. section back on pre-axle to dump out pass. side midship. Sounds fun... Maybe I'll try to go get a clip...

J.P.

Reaction score
Looking for opinions... just got off the phone with a diesel shop that has done good work for me before to see what they suggest for a 1987 F250 Lariat 6.9 n/a, they said single 3.5 inch pipe with a Magna flow or flowmaster. let me know what you all think.. Thanks, currently I have stock pipe 2.5 I think with a 24" glasspack using the quiet side

hallgren87idi

Reaction score
My old '84 had a banks turbo with oem muffler I liked it, never straight piped it. My current '87 is n/a with long tube headers dual exhaust with glaspacs the long ones ran out behind passenger rear tire. Unsure the size guessing 3". Sounds good under WOT not horribly loud. I am contemplating a larger single pipe running two 3" off the collectors to a single 4"with a 5" tip exiting in front of the passenger rear tire.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Looking for opinions... just got off the phone with a diesel shop that has done good work for me before to see what they suggest for a 1987 F250 Lariat 6.9 n/a, they said single 3.5 inch pipe with a Magna flow or flowmaster. let me know what you all think.. Thanks, currently I have stock pipe 2.5 I think with a 24" glasspack using the quiet side

I wouldn't use a flowmaster I would go with a walker BTM.

A48WillyzGuy

Reaction score
My n\a truck has the stock 2.5" to the back of the cab, then jumps to 4" with a Magnaflow straight through muffler, and a tailpipe for a Super Duty with a 5" tip. It sounds great and has just enough volume to make it fun to drive.

J.P.

Reaction score
Ok I am working on parts... any idea where I can get a 3.5 inch tailpipe for my 1987? I have the Walker BTM and coming out the Ypipe is no problem, just need to get out of the muffler and over the axle..

J.P.

Reaction score
any chance they make that in 3.5, although I can adapt from 3.5 to 4 real easy, I dont know if it would make a too much difference in regards to back pressure needed for the N/A engine...

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
any chance they make that in 3.5, although I can adapt from 3.5 to 4 real easy, I dont know if it would make a too much difference in regards to back pressure needed for the N/A engine...
I looked and I only found 2.5(factory) or 4"
i would run a adapter from 3.5 to 4"
also that says it's 4" outside diameter so that makes it 3.5 inside diameter.
At least that's how it's been with the Pipe from summit.
And no need to worry about back pressure these engines are nothing like gas engines.

J.P.

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Ok its been a while but it is done, started at the Y pipe and bumped from 2.5 to 3 ( thats what my muffler shop can bend) went up over the frame and bumped to 3.5 in and out of the Walker BTM and over the axle with 3.5. its louder than the glass pak that I had in there and quieter than the straight pipe... but I pulled over a couple of grades and it pulls much better. I will be checking mileage next I will keep you posted, but at this point I am happy with the results.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online