Straight Pipe Or.....

Straight Piped Or.....

• Total voters

MontanaJack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you might want to read up on current TX vehicle equipment laws.
no thanks to the kids straight pipping their daddy's truck and making a general nuisance around town, "there's now a law" requiring a muffler on diesel trucks. do a google for it. :D

If you really want to be straight piped without getting hassled by the man:sly, there are a few things you can do. You can burn out the fibers in the muffler with a little diesel, if that's the kind you've got. Or turn it around backwards if it's only baffled inside.

I've never done this myself, so i can't attest to whether it really works or not, but I've read of others doing it and being happy with the results.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What ya need now is one of these. Sweet sounding, put it one way and it's kinda loud, put it the other way, calms it down, but still sweet. When the cups face back (1st pic) kinda whistles. There 3-1/2" in and out, 12" - 14" long Got one on my PSD. Found it on ebay 3-4 yrs ago.

Attachments

• DVC01454.JPG
    DVC01454.JPG
    283.2 KB · Views: 27
  • DVC01453.JPG
    DVC01453.JPG
    272.2 KB · Views: 24
  • DVC01452.JPG
    DVC01452.JPG
    297.9 KB · Views: 22

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What ya need now is one of these. Sweet sounding, put it one way and it's kinda loud, put it the other way, calms it down, but still sweet. When the cups face back (1st pic) kinda whistles. There 3-1/2" in and out, 12" - 14" long Got one on my PSD. Found it on ebay 3-4 yrs ago.

lol, you posted this on my timing thread too...
was that the incorrect thread?
my muffler is a turbine :D

barr05

Reaction score
2 1/2" pipe with a 36" hollowed out glasspack, not very loud till you get on it!! Kids and love it... Lol

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
3" (2 7/8") Banks downpipe to 3" until the rear axle and then a 45 degree 4" angled dump after the leaf springs. A turbo counts as a muffling device in Indiana, and this thing isn't very loud with 15' of smaller diameter pipe pipe and a turbo ;Sweet

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    494.3 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    637.2 KB · Views: 26
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1629.JPG
    IMG_1629.JPG
    449.2 KB · Views: 30

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm currently running a 3" straight-pipe that exits in the factory location. I scavenged it off a truck that was being parted out; I don't know it's original source.

I have a Diamond Eye 5" system that will be installed someday. It has a straight-through muffler...I like the sound of a straight-piped truck, but I also like the idea of keeping unwanted legal attention to a minimum. I may accidentally install the muffler backwards; we'll see how things sound both ways :angel:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thankfully nobody voted for stacks.

or their afraid to LOL

I have a Diamond Eye 5" system that will be installed someday. It has a straight-through muffler...I like the sound of a straight-piped truck, but I also like the idea of keeping unwanted legal attention to a minimum. I may accidentally install the muffler backwards; we'll see how things sound both ways :angel:

install it on 2 v-band clamps, then you can swap em easily!!

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
3" DP to a 5" Diamond Eye system over the rear axle for a 94-97 OBS Powerstroke. No muffler, a little cab drone, but it sounds solid with a turbo truck. Whistles Dixie...Leeland can vouch for it.

Have the same setup with the 6.9/Banks gated Sidewinder and now the 12v Cummins.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll check that out. I like the way my current set up is it's bolted in sections so I can remove the muffler until inspection time. Is the factory piping bolted are is that something the Po did?
i just run a louvered core three chamber muffler on my trucks. it cuts out the 2800rpm+ "bark", but still in noise compliance. Do be warned, this "law" is more a tool for small town LEO's to ensure compliance when someone complains of a noisy truck and are able to report a lic# with the complaint. This will give the LEO some room to make the offender's life difficult. BUT....if a visual inspection reveals a muffler, the LEO then needs a meter to quantify a DB value on the loud exhaust.
see below for photo of my typical muffler on my trucks.

Attachments

• 89F450MUFFLER.jpg
    89F450MUFFLER.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 156

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
attachment.php

highjack!
do you have some sort of hydraulic equalizer for your dual rams towcat?
on log truck,they simply joined the lines with a basic T but the rams don't work evenly at all.can't dump a load (well can't dump yet anyway until i get the whole system welded up better than they did to this one) i tried searching for such a device but no luck.there must be some type of device to make them work evenly right?

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Three inch straight pipe through a cherry bomb that dumps out just before the rear passenger side tire with a N/A engine.

Yes, it is loud.