still no start

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I'd start looking at all the fuses under the hood and under the dash. Id also try a new CPS if you have one and ohm the wires from the CPS to the PCM. The OBS powerstrokes have a habit for chaffing the wiring harness on the drivers side valve cover so that would be something to check at as well. A scanner would really speed things up. You can also try unplugging the ICP sensor on the drivers side head to see if increased HUEI pressure fires it up.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a tin nut that holds the IPR solenoid on, if that is loose you won't get enough oil pressure to fire the injectors. You have to crank 250 -300 to get 450 to 500 PSI to fire the injectors. The fuel heater can short out and blow the fuse to the PCM, it's a 30 Amp fuse, on the 99 it's #22. You can unplug the ICP sensor, the PCM will control the pressure to 3000 PSI. Just don't run it for long that way if it starts, the ICP is defective. If the ICP shows any oil at the connection , it's defective. Did you check the oil level, must be within the hash marks. Dirty oil is a bad thing on a PSD.

Attachments

• engine%20parts.jpg
    engine%20parts.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 31
  • PSD%20Engine%20Labels%201.jpg
    PSD%20Engine%20Labels%201.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 29

gsxjay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This ICP sensor is it on the head or on head or hpop and the thin nut seems to be mia so I'll try checking all these issues and will report back thanks guys now I have a place to start

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I had a customer truck with a missing IPR nut, it would start and run if you eased it away from a light but if you stomped it the coil would slide on the shaft and the engine would die....Fire right back up though...LOL....It was an aggravating diagnosis the first time, now it's 2nd nature for me to check that nut. I'm confident we can help you through this.

gsxjay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK if with IPR I on the back of the hpop I can see a threaded black part the I missing a nut but this nut needs to fit inside the IPR kinda like the lug nuts with the pressed on chrome cover am I look ink at the correct sensor

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Not exactly. Most people refer to it as a "tinman nut" (or something like that)

Just Google "7.3 psd ipr nut" on Google images.