still no start

gsxjay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
iv tried everything first lift pump went out put a new one on got fuel now cranks over fine i notice a bit of smoke when i try to start it which leads me to think injectors are firing ? but dosent even try to start even with either only thing left is an oil change but can that really make it not start like a few have said
? any help would be great id like to drive it again and it a 97 early system i think two plugs per valve cover :dunno:mad:

gsxjay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good batteries question how much should the tack move mine jumps a millimeter every 15 to 20 seconds

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First gen PSD's should report an accurate cranking speed when you try to start it. Later ones do not report a speed at all. Do you have any codes coming up? When did this problem start?

gsxjay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mel she just died while driving had a month old cps auto zone so got it home checked her over lift pump went out so three weeks later put a new pump on an have fuel puffs smoke out the pipe but doesn't even try to start

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
good batteries question how much should the tack move mine jumps a millimeter every 15 to 20 seconds

You should be getting a better tach reading than that.

Either the engine is turning to slow, or something funky is going on. Now you said it will not start on either. That is telling me, you don't have enough RPM's to start.

Now if the tach signal is erratic. There could be CPS or IDM issue. You should have it scanned for codes. IDM codes show up. CPS codes are hit or miss.

gsxjay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK I'll look in to starters and batteries will a normal scan tool pull the codes or is this a dealer thing

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Nope. Need something like AutoEnginuity with the ford package, a buddy with a programmer may work (edge insite), I think scan gauge, a few others that I can't recall.

BrotherNick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im glad i stumbled onto this topic. My 93 is doing the same thing and im glad to hear that bad batteries may be the case. My tac doesnt move at all. Maybe a tiny bit. Il try a set of new batteries. Didnt mean to thread jack.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Im glad i stumbled onto this topic. My 93 is doing the same thing and im glad to hear that bad batteries may be the case. My tac doesnt move at all. Maybe a tiny bit. Il try a set of new batteries. Didnt mean to thread jack.

Nah man, this is the powerstroke section. It's a whole nother animal.

You probably need a new tach sensor. But it will NOT affect starting. But yes, batteries will. Also bad cables/connections.

idipwr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mel she just died while driving had a month old cps auto zone so got it home checked her over lift pump went out so three weeks later put a new pump on an have fuel puffs smoke out the pipe but doesn't even try to start

It's been my experience to use only ford or IH cps's. that could be your problem.

gsxjay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK well HP tuners do you think that could pull codes if not then of to performance diesel I go

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
PCM's can cause no starts too, been through that already with a customers truck. You should see 100-200rpm on the tach while cranking. Have you checked all the fuses related to the engine? The batteries must me in good shape to crank up a PSD - they need about 500rpm of cranking speed to fire the injectors. Your best bet is to get a scan, watch the HUEI pressures and for crank RPM. There are several basic checks you can do if you want to rule out the basics like air in the fuel and etc. I have the Ford bundle from Auto Enginuity. It works pretty well with the early powerstrokes. Is it kicking at all or not?

gsxjay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Absoutly zero attempt to start even with either an when cranking it register for a second then nothing but I do get a little smoke out of the pipe while cranking