Still Here, But Not With An IDI...

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been real busy lately so I havent had much time to post. As some may know my E4OD had been on the brink for long while and even though Ive been trying to save since I bought the truck a year ago, things havent worked out as Id hoped. Funny, a bank wont lend you the money for a new trans but they lend it to you for a newer truck. Anywhoo, with what I was able to get for my truck I only ended up paying $2k for the new one.

The low down- '98 Ram 2500 SLT Laramie V10 NV4500 4x4 quad cab long bed with D60/D70s. It has high milage (220k) due to highway use but it seems (so far) very solid. It has gobbs more power/torque than my old 7.3 but I guess thats to be expected given the respected outputs (7.3IDI 185hp/360lbs...Dodge V10 300hp/450lbs). Trans seems smooth and the 4wd works fine. Only mods are a K&N intake and a JET chip. I plan to add a brake controller & possible air bags in the rear. Other than that, service it and use it.

I already miss the old Ford :( but I do feel that this will serve my purposes better.

I hope I can still come to a future IDI Rally, even if it is in a dino powered Dodge....;Really

And I will still continue to be on the boards as much as possible.....

You must be registered for see images attach

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nice. your gonna swap a cummins in right?

Well I dont wish it just yet, but if/when the Magnum V10 gives up the ghost who knows, maybe. Id love to sawp it now but in case you didnt get it from the OP moneys kind of tight right now. :)

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks and didnt mean to come off like a *****, all in jest.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
I had to go back and read the post again, because I kept asking myself "Why would somebody having problems with an E4OD sell that truck only to buy a truck with 47RE?" Then I realized you got the handshaker.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
I had to go back and read the post again, because I kept asking myself "Why would somebody having problems with an E4OD sell that truck only to buy a truck with 47RE?" Then I realized you got the handshaker.

Glad I'm not the only one lmao.

gsxjay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
crap i had the twin to that bad boy i loved that thing only issue i had with mine other than gas mileage was at 235 thousand miles it bent four push rods but still got me home with no other issues from Quantico va to ashland ohio id take the dodge v10 over the trition v10 any day but thats just my two pennies nice truck man

chevytaHOE5674

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you know is the 5th gear nut has been fixed in that NV4500? If not you may want to get that done.......

Other than that nice truck.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Good luck with your new ride. ;SweetI know times are tough and for me every move I make these days has to be a solid one. I am sure you have your reasons for buying the Dodge so good luck with it. :angel:

Just food for thought. I had a friend who had a 1st gen Dodge Cummins and got rid of it for a v10. He eventually came around for a 24 valve.;Really I won't be surprised to see you burning #2 again some day.:sly

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you know is the 5th gear nut has been fixed in that NV4500? If not you may want to get that done.......

Other than that nice truck.

I do not know but Ive been reading up on these trucks since I got it and it seems pretty easy to fix. Ive used 5th quite a bit on purpose in the little bit of driving Ive done, iin order to see if it had any problems going into gear. We'll see.

And thx for the kind words everybody!

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I won't be surprised to see you burning #2 again some day.:sly

Me neither. From what Ive read online figures are around 6-8mpg with a load and 10-12 empty. The old 7.3 would get 15ish around town and high teens on the highway, with or without your average load. The worst I ever got was 10, and that was carrying a 28ft brick down the freeway at 70-75mph out of state. The towing/hauling capability of the new truck is definately better, but at a little cost. Of course I wont have the higher service costs of a diesel either, so it really a trade off. The Dodge has 4.10s I found out today from an underhood sticker. At 65mph on the interstate it runs right at 2,2k, and thats where the mpg gets hurt the most I think. I may very well go uup one size on tire hiegth wheen replacing is needed. I really havent driven it enough though to get an idea of mpg myself.

How about this for a change, a factory turbo 7.3IDI in a 2nd gen Dodge....:eek:

LOL

Last edited: