Still delay in starting

FoMoCo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, just changed the lift pump and the truck still has a delay just like before in starting. It turns over very fast, but the delay in starting is not consistent. I know the old lift was bad since it leaked when could out of the whep holes. What could it be???? Maybe time for Injection pump and injectors????

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
What do you mean by not consistant? Is it hard to start when cold but not hot? Or vise versa? It could be a glow plug issue, or an air intrusion. If you look at the rubber lines between the injectors, are they wet??

FoMoCo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The delay comes and goes, I live in South Texas, so it is always Hot. I seems to have more of a problem at initial start up for the day. The rubber lines look good, but could be the problem. I guess it is time for a rebuilt IP, Injectors and new rubber lines.

Reaction score
maybe this has been asked. but have you checked all your glow plugs/ controller?

I agree with Erik. Before you go dropping the cash for IP and injectors test the glow plugs with a test lamp to make sure there working. Hook the lamp to the positive side of your battery and touch it to the post of the glow plaug if it lights your good. Or if you have a block heater set it up on a timer and plug it in to warm up the motor. I live in So. Cal and my glow plugs are bad and do this every morning. Good Luck

FoMoCo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck can sit for a week or two and you go to start it and it starts with no delays. Then you can be running the truck, stop it at the store and then it will just crank with no fire, not even a slight fire. One time long time ago, the truck stopped will moving over some ruff terrain. The ignition switch is wore out and you have to mess with it to line the key up. Also, you have to move it slightly to stop the chime even after the key is removed. Could this be my problem? If so I would like to over ride the key and go Nascar style. Have a on switch, start switch, and run switch. Just don't know with wires do what. Which wire to the IP is the fuel shut off? Maybe if it happens again, I can remove that wire, or supply 12 volts to it depending on how it works to troubleshoot.