Startin' to think STACKS!

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lately I've been thinking of doing stacks on my truck. Trouble is I haul a cabover camper in the bed, so they couldn't stick up more than an inch or two above the top of the cab.

Since I have the dually rear, I'm thinking of bringing them out from under the body just ahead of where the bed and cab meet - basically running them up and on the outside of the rear corners of the cab. With the fiberglass fenders already hanging out there over a foot the stacks wouldn't be adding anthing to my width.

I figure if they have a little bit of a turn out at the top that ought to at least help reduce the amount of soot they deposit on the sides of my camper.

Anybody with stacks have any thoughts or advice on this "plan"? Is it going to be too loud (turbo with no mufflers), or would I need to put some kind of muffler in each stack to keep the noise from making the whole family deaf?

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
A straight piped turbo truck won't be bad at all noise wise. Mine is VERY loud without a turbo & straight pipe. I've driven the turboed IDIs with a straight pipe & there is a huge diffrence sound wise.
You could do an outside the bed setup but I'll tell ya right now turnouts will not help keep the soot off your trailer. Smoke wise rolling down the road they are all about the same weather it's miters, flat cuts or turnouts aimed out towards the side. But the way is your Dually a 4x4 or 2wd?

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A straight piped turbo truck won't be bad at all noise wise. Mine is VERY loud without a turbo & straight pipe. I've driven the turboed IDIs with a straight pipe & there is a huge diffrence sound wise.
You could do an outside the bed setup but I'll tell ya right now turnouts will not help keep the soot off your trailer. Smoke wise rolling down the road they are all about the same weather it's miters, flat cuts or turnouts aimed out towards the side. But the way is your Dually a 4x4 or 2wd?
4x4 - its a custom job. True DRW F350 axle and bed.

The only thing it doesn't have is Budd wheels up front. I'm looking to change that so I don't have to carry two spares.

I'm gonna' have to change my avatar picture - that's my first IDI - the old 2WD that I traded for my econo car DD (Jetta).

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
If you did it right, you could bring the pipe back from your down pipe to about your bed/cab line then split it into a Y & go out to the sides. You will have to look at how much room you have with your drive shaft & fuel tank though.

Last edited:

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you did it right, you could bring the pipe back from your down pipe to about your bed/cab line then split it into a Y & go out to the sides. You will have to look at how much room you have with your drive shaft & fuel tank though.

That's pretty much the plan. I'm not concerned about the tank - it doesn't really hang down below the frame. The driveshaft may be a different story though...

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
That's pretty much the plan. I'm not concerned about the tank - it doesn't really hang down below the frame. The driveshaft may be a different story though...

If your working with 3" pipe you'll have alot easier time fitting it & it will be cheaper than 3.5"+
I saw a guy do it to a Superduty by using 4" pipe under neith &ran that up to 5" stacks in the bed so he didn't have a T pipe. But his truck is also lifted so that helps alot with the clearence part too.

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your working with 3" pipe you'll have alot easier time fitting it & it will be cheaper than 3.5"+
I saw a guy do it to a Superduty by using 4" pipe under neith &ran that up to 5" stacks in the bed so he didn't have a T pipe. But his truck is also lifted so that helps alot with the clearence part too.

Lucky me, mine is lifted about 3"-4" already, PLUS I have a small body lift on top of that ;)

I'm thinking 3" pipe coming from underneath, turning 90* straight up, then maybe 3" glasspack mufflers, and short chromed turnouts on top of that. Maybe put a pair of those chromed half-pipe "burn guards" made of perforated metal wrapped around the outer half of the muffler that faces away from the truck.

Make 'em look like miniature versions of the stacks on big rigs...

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stacks on a pickup you use with a truck camper taking long rides with the family:dunno sounds cookoo to me.

OBS trucks ain't very quiet inside as it is, you may like the sound but I think the family ain't gonna appreciate the drone..... also, have you given thought about sooting up the truck camper. Turnouts may help a little but it ain't gonna stop it.

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stacks on a pickup you use with a truck camper taking long rides with the family:dunno sounds cookoo to me.

OBS trucks ain't very quiet inside as it is, you may like the sound but I think the family ain't gonna appreciate the drone.....
Good point - that's why I'm thinking of adding mufflers in the stacks instead of just straight pipes.

....also, have you given thought about sooting up the truck camper. Turnouts may help a little but it ain't gonna stop it.
Yeah, you'll notice I mentioned that concern in my first post. Right now the camper is mostly white, but since my truck is charcoal grey with blue side panels, I'm thinking of painting the camper to match this summer. If it is dark grey already, I wouldn't think the soot would be as much of an issue...

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of just sticking with 3" - that's what my up/down pipes are anyway...

I was thinkin' something like these would look and work pretty good mounted vertically up the rear corners of my cab...

You must be registered for see images

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/...Id-100000174317/Pr-p_CATENTRY_ID:100000174317

And the price is pretty decent too - considering they would include everything I'd need except the Y...

...and yeah, I saw where they said they are meant for horizontal mounting only....

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3" exhaust....;Really

Come on, can't you at least do 4" for the visable part? ;Poke

Why? The turbo up & down pipes are 3" so going to 4" wouldn't do anything but cost twice a much. This isn't all about show - and 4" won't do anything for me that the 3" won't do...

Heck, I was thinking about using plain 3" pipe - until I saw these chromies for about what I'd spend on 10' of pipe and four 90* bends....

Last edited: