'87 6.9 needs to go away.

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Time to let the '87 F250 4X4 6.9/C-6 find a new home. $2205.
It's not a beauty queen but for the money,
Not that the transmission taking it's time to go into gear first thing in the morning was bothering me, or the slight water intrusion into the cab area from a body seam up front somewhere being an issue, nor is the broken bed from the previous owner jack knifing a trailer. None of those minor problems bothered me. None of them, But when the right side electric window decided to stop rolling down, that was enough.
46K miles on the odo, brake pedal wear indication says it only rolled over once.
Somewhere in it's past the engine looks like it got replaced.
So if anyone in the area of the greater Portland area is looking for a toy, respond here for preference.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
"morning sickness" is an odd common issue on some rebuilt, old mechanical type 3 speed automatics.

A 78 Dodge 1 ton van with the A727 did it, as well as the C6 in the 87 F250 I had. Different trans shops told me that's normal and there's nothing you can do to fix it. Both were rebuilt before I got the vehicles, so who knows what was done internally.

My RV's C6 doesn't do that though after it's rebuild.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Fwiw, I recently did a filter and fluid change on a friend's E4OD. First thing he noticed was it engaged 1st and reverse quicker when moving the shift lever.

MadMac

Reaction score
Fwiw, I recently did a filter and fluid change on a friend's E4OD. First thing he noticed was it engaged 1st and reverse quicker when moving the shift lever.
After replacing the ATF + transmission filter on my 85 C6, mine went from no lag, to about 2 to 3 seconds, somtimes longer - first start of the day.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an e4od in a 95 that used to do that but it was always reverse, and it was more like 10 seconds. Was always fine after full warmup.

Wife's cousin has had it since about '16 and it has never gotten worse. I always figured the pump was getting weak or there was an internal leak somewhere that was leaking until it got some heat in it.

I currently have an AOD in my 82 f150 that is slow to engage in all the forward positions even when warm, solid when it engages just takes 3-4 seconds. Reverse is always instant and solid.

I'm just not a fan of automatics, have never had very good luck with them. I usually just run them until they drop and zf swap it.

James

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This toy can get swapped into someone else's life. I did go out this afternoon and add 2 quarts of trans fluid. THAT might help.
I will fire it up tomorrow morning and see what happens.