Starter problems

oregon-mike

Reaction score
Howdy all,
In reading through all the starter troubles posts, along with the "how to replace your starter" thread in the tech articles I did my starter (just finished this morning ;Sweet ).

My starter would click but not engage. I jumped the posts on the fender solenoid, same same so narrowed it down to the on-starter solenoid. I finally managed to get the thing out of there and took it to my local rebuilder. They replaced the solenoid, brushes, bushings, field case, resurfaced armature, cleaned the whole thing up and got it back to me the next business day (brought it to them on new year's eve, they got it back to me yesterday).

The existing small-headed bolts with built-in shoulder washers had been cheesed up by the previous owners. I went to my local autoparts outfit and they didn't have any. Went to Ford, they didn't have any. They said the part was obsolete. There's a good fastener place in town that may have them and I'll check there next time I'm down thataway, but they were closed until Monday Jan 5. I ended up getting some 3/8 x 1 1/2 NC grade 8 bolts. It meant using a 5/8 socket instead of 1/2 but there was room for it.

If I end up finding the real thing at Eugene Fastener I'll post up their part #'s for everybody. If somebody finds the OEM parts (IH maybe?) they should post them up in the parts bin too.

Oh, the cost on the rebuild from the local guys was a skosh less than a lifetime from Autozone ($125) but I'd rather get something done by local guys who stand behind their work than do this on a yearly basis as that was a major PITA out in the driveway in the rain & cold.

Happy new year all! ;Sweet;Sweet
Mike

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use header bolts, small head, not real easy to find in 1.5 length tho.

oregon-mike

Reaction score
I use header bolts, small head, not real easy to find in 1.5 length tho.

I'll keep that in mind next time for sure. The boys at my local Knecht's had no idea, nor did I, that header bolts had small heads.

Thanks for the tip!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Those three shoulder bolts that hold the starter inplace are priceless. Especially that top hidden bolt. I tape the bolt to the socket and the socket to the extension. Then tighten it up and everything just pulls out. Never loose the bolt up there. Its hell to find it.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe I should buy a box of them at my local really good hardware store and put them out here??? 3/8 x 1.5 12 point head.??

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle