Starter Fluid?

tbryanh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
heard that starter fluid can be used on IDIs as long as the glow plugs are disconnected.

Is there a limit to how much can be used? On a gas engine, it seems you can use as much as you want.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
very little. a 1/2 second squirt is usually all you need.

And yes its very bad for the engine and yes ive done it before. what you should know is a healthy engine should never need ether so in a pinch, use it, but find the root cause of the problem

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ether will not harm these engines if used properly. Now the glow plugs must be all burned out or disconnected. Then a short 1/2 to 1 second squirt is all thats needed. Twice now I have attmpted to start two of these engines with ether. Both times I could not get smoke or a simple fire. I was wetting the intake too continuous spray and nothing. I didn't even see the fog being sucked in the intake. Never did figure out what was wrong but it looked like a broken cam or gear... No intake suction at all both engines too.. I know a very knowledgeable member here that has not had plugs for years. So he uses ether and no issues. I did give him a free set of Beru ZD9 but he has yet to install them. Please don'y ask me to out him either... I wont... Its a honor thing...:angel::sly

ah1988ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a rag with a little gas on it I think it is safer, I caught the intake hat on fire with either... but I did not know to diconnect the gp's and
gave it a ... good healthy 3sec. shot directly into the intake STUPID, I know better now I am luckly I didnt hurt anything.

Last edited:

Idi93

Ford parts guy
Reaction score
WD40 used to work, but it doesnt use propane as a propellant anymore. What I've used in the past was a little cetane boost(diesel kleen).

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I to can vouch for wd40....^ thats good info to know, thanks lcam.
Care to give us a quick crash course on how to rewire the wts light?.....would it be to wire the light directly to the relay instead of controller?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Have any of you been unfortunate enough to meet a ether baby?

Buddy had a cummins that was real bad. PO had a garden hose running from the intake to the dash next to the radio....

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
It was post filter in the intake tube, not a charge tube. Had a bolt to plug the hose when not shootin up. Wasn't even a chrome bolt or anything. LOL

Grid heaters were unplugged. And this was around july or August. So for it to not start even on ether in the summer heat...... Just wow.
I think we found 5 or so empty cans behind the seat.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Have any of you been unfortunate enough to meet a ether baby?

Buddy had a cummins that was real bad. PO had a garden hose running from the intake to the dash next to the radio....

This quote and the 5 mt cans found behind the seat really makes a redneck look good... Sounds like something was long ago failed.. Wonder whats left of that engine after it would not lite off on crack n can...

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I'll chime in...

I do what LCAM says, turn ign on...let click n wait for it to stop then wait tad longer...while waiting I connect my remote starter switch and once ready...spray and hit starter at same time...giving small 1/2 sec burst...while turning over.

I use both WD or either, if I take air filter off...WD 40 it's a fine OIL that works...if I leave it on...either! both ways work.

JM2CW

Al

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
after me and another member did my IP and injectors, and after drained batteries and a fried starter ( starter was on its way out to begin with) while bleeding the air from the lines, and not having the juice left to turn the engine over fast enough or long enough, i hit it with a good shot of ether.. that motor came alive!! sounded terrible but i was 70 miles from home and it was a do what i had to do deal.. the following weekend i replaced the GPs and just a couple weeks back replaced the starter... now it fires up lick-itty-split!!! hope to never have to use starter fluid again...

nitroguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
after me and another member did my IP and injectors, and after drained batteries and a fried starter ( starter was on its way out to begin with) while bleeding the air from the lines, and not having the juice left to turn the engine over fast enough or long enough, i hit it with a good shot of ether.. that motor came alive!! sounded terrible but i was 70 miles from home and it was a do what i had to do deal.. the following weekend i replaced the GPs and just a couple weeks back replaced the starter... now it fires up lick-itty-split!!! hope to never have to use starter fluid again...

I don't understand - are you saying you started your engine with no starter? How is that possible? Do tell!

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh no sorry, the starter was in, it was just toasty, literally smoking... and with the batteries pulled down so much it just wasn't giving enough to turn the motor fast enough to fire.. needed that starter fluid the make instant combustion...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US