spindle

chrisgrant91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well...i took my front end apart for new u joints and repack the bearings...and i cannot get my spindle off...pounded on it with a mallet, woodblock and 3lb sledge... soaked it in pb and buzzed the base with an airhammer.... any ideas? can you heat that and be ok? i dont think so

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They can be a real sob to get off. The correct tool is best (threads on, then you use a slide hammer with it). I didn't have one the last time I needed to get one off, and managed to do it with a chisle aimed at the junction of the flange and axle tube end.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
thats the thread i was thinking of but i didnt pop up for my quick searches off hand.

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best trick I found is to take a piece of brass right past the threads on the spindle and a 3 pound sledge and beat one side a couple times then the other side a couple of times till she starts to wiggle loose. Then put some anti-seeze on the lip before reassembly.

zpd307

Reaction score
i must have lucked out. a few hits with a hammer and wood block and they came free. mind you, this is a rust belt truck and everything is rusty....

chrisgrant91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well...i pounded for about an hour and half tonight and finally got it... but now the right side shaft...do i just have to change the u joint with it in the pumpkin cause it dont pull out... by the way this is my first ford...

zpd307

Reaction score
do you have a 250 or 350. it sound like you have a 250 with the dana 50 ttb. my dana 60, both axles just pulled out. the dana 50 has another joint in the midlle, where the diff flexes. dont ask me how to because i have no experience with it. i have just read about it and thought, what a pain in the ass.
EDIT: i just did some checking for you. on the dana 50, there are actually three axles. one on the driver side, and two on the passenger side. where the axle pivots, there should be an open space. you should be able to see a rubber boot covering a slip joint, where the two axles meet. undo the clamp(s) and the outer shaft should pull out. the inner axle, or stub as it is called, is locked into the diff case with a c-clip. clear as mud?
Another EDIT: you should put your truck info in your sig so we know what you have and what you done to it.

Last edited:

chrisgrant91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah its a 250...and i think im gunna just attempt to change the middle u-joint witout taking the rubber boot apart... it that joint loose i shoudl be able to pull it out enough to change the other as well.... this whole thing is kinda of been a pita, 200k and nothing seems to want to come apart. big suprise

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
yes you can change that u-joint in the truck.i torched mine out,then used a u-joint tool press it back together.

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck with the middle joint if you do not have a torch like said above. Getting the old one out is a PITA without a torch. I had to take my axle pivot bushing out and drop my axle arm before I could get to it to remove. Thank god for my Dana 60 now. Good luck anyhow

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
I really like where the FSM advises to keep the top nut on, but loose so the spindle doesn't fall of and harm you. The FSM also advises to tap lightly with a plastic or rawhide hammer.
Right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online