So I went in for an alignment and....

zebrabeefj40

Reaction score
'Nother option: buy a complete TTB from the junkyard, rebuild it then swap it into your truck. That way your truck isn't in pieces all over the driveway for several weeks while you figure out how to do the work or collect the tools you need.

Nick

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
Big questions i have here are...do u have space to do this work and another vehicle incase its not done in the alloted time. I had more of these front ends torn down and apart than i care to think about and everytime, one thing or another, it was a major PITA. While the actual work isnt bad its the unforseen problems like mentioned above...rusted bolts, stuck/rusted parts, broken bolts, etc...

FWIW, that price doesnt sound to terribly bad. If i were to do all this, i would just drop the entire axle out and service it out of the truck and install it as one. Its far easier doing it this way but just removing it can be a challange if u dont have the tools or experience. I did my dads this way, mainly becuase i needed to replace the coil buckets on the frame (95 F150) but doing it was so much easier and allowed me to service the front axle, replace the pivot bushings, ball joints etc...without having to be crammed under the truck.

To do this job ur gunna need some heavy duty jack stands, at least two floor jacks (i use a motorcycle jack), ball joint press, hub sucket, pickle fork, torch, large sockets, some type of impact (pnumatic or cordless), spindle removal tool, slide hammer...just to name a few...

Have u verfied the actually parts are indeed worn?

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
Ive already tightened the steering box up and it helped a little but it still has a bit of play and I really have to do a lot of "herding" with it. It takes a lot to keep it going straight. The Les Schwab guys jacked up the front and tried to turn the tires and couldn't unless the took the tie rods off of one side. That is how they determined the bad gearbox (plus a test drive). If that is a relatively easy job to do, I can tackle that for much less than them. They kinda said the same about the u joints and that I could let them ride for a while and the quote was a worst case scenario. They said that replacing the bushings and the gear box would be my best ride quality option at the time and that I don't need to feel pressured to do it all at once.

I would also love to buy all these cool new tools to do the job, but time is money and I have too much to do around the house plus a 2 year old son who I can't get enough of. I am also not exactly a novice, I am a wind turbine technician and have a decent amount of time spent working on my dd (lifted 91 Subaru Loyale w/28" BFG's). However, I have never worked on any front-end stuff and honestly it sounds pretty scary. I don't feel like doing a rush job on something that seems so important and is very safety related. Anyway, here is the quote and a pic of my front lift (I guess they added leafs until the desired height was achieved...? Neither I nor the Les Schwab guy has seen this and I never noticed it).

You must be registered for see images attach

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
The only thing that even looks remotely fishy on that estimate is the $235 tie rod end., and quite frankly considing what they're charging on teh rest of it, I wouldnt fault them a little profit . Those prices are not at all out of line.
You couldnt buy the tools , bandaids and blood pressure medicine for that

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
By the way, dont get me wrong, I'm not just trying to talk you outta working on the thing, but heavy front ends can be VERY dangerous , and you generally run into all kinds of gumption traps that arent in the book requiring some serious beating and banging and torching and creative language that shouldnt be heard in mixed company. Its realy not the kind of thing you should tear into alone, and certainly not if you havent done something REAL similar before.
Heck I'm a certified master mechanic and I used to work at a Jeep dealer, but you wouldnt catch me tearing a 4x4 front end loose by myself and tearing it apart . There's too much that can go south on you fast even with all kinds of fancy lifts and jacks and stands and chains and straps I have on hand, Ive been doing this too long and I'm no fool, Its just not safe

In a shop like that they will have an arsenal of goodies for tearing that stuff apart that you cant even dream of when stuff gets stuck, and if it take 4 extra guys, they have them on hand

Now, if you want to do part of teh job, and save teh major surjury, THIS would be a good idea. You could fairly easily replace tie rod ends ( replace teh adjustment sleeves when you do I dont see those listed, but its a good idea ) save the labour on the steering gear and replace teh steering gear yourself ( maybe even consider a better steering box like a REdhead steering box with the money you save) , then have the shop do the hairy stuff, teh spring bushings, ujoints, and then the allignment .

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
I think the 235 is for the long one that goes to the pitman arm if I am not mistaken, but still expensive. I think I will let them do all of the work except the steering gear which I will do myself. It seems pretty straight forward (unless I'm missing something). I will get one more quote too. Are there any brands I should stay away from with those? I know red head is supposed to be the best, but is expensive...

058hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you do the work or just some of the work make sure you buy good parts. Not the cheapest you can find. I have had good luck with the most expencive ones napa has.

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. I think I can make a pretty solid decision. I will stick with trying to change the steering gear and maybe the tie rod ends. I know where I can get a pitman arm puller if needed. The rest will be done at the shop. Has anyone seen add-a-leafs in the front like the pics I put above?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you definitely have a lift kit on the truck. I'd also look into putting in a dropped pitman arm to clean up the angles on the tie rods.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's what my truck has under the front springs. I'm not sure what it is or where it came from either. If you figure it out let me know. Nobody has been able to tell me.:dunno

For what it's worth, I'd probably have the shop do it. It all comes down to what is your time worth and can you afford your truck to be down a while. I don't know if I'm getting older or what but I have had the bad tendency to let my checkbook solve my problems lately. I don't think its a terrible price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel