So I went in for an alignment and....

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
Thanks for the links. I'm not sure how that leaf got bent. I know it hasn't been wrecked (on that side) since I've owned it. Someone hit it on the other side while it was parked on the street. I was looking at getting the tie rod ends and I can get moog brand for pretty affordable at rockauto. I was also looking at the adjuster things and I noticed there are 2 different types. One for up to 4200GVR and one for over 4200GVR. Which one? Also I was going to look at getting a drop pitman arm, but they don't make one for a 2" lift...do I have a 2" lift or 4"? I was told it was installed to fit 35" tires so I am assuming only 2". Sorry if I sound retarded for asking these questions. I should know my truck a little better...

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Don't worry, answering questions is what we do here. I'd say a 4" lift would be necessary to clear 35's, 2" would be more like an add a leaf to clear 33's. The pitman arm shouldn't be necessary with 2" of lift but an option for a 4" lift. They are definitely a complete aftermarket leaf pack, I'd say 4" of lift there. Post some more pics of the wheel wells and body vs. tire. I have been out of the lift market for some time but we should be able to get an idea just by looking at it.

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
I can't right now, but if you can get a peek at the pic in my sig, that might help. That's when it had 315/75/16 tires, now it has 285's. I went smaller, but it wasn't necessarily cheaper or better for milage... I do like the look better believe it or not. I will try this evening.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you definitely have a lift kit on the truck. I'd also look into putting in a dropped pitman arm to clean up the angles on the tie rods.

If you have a 4 inch lift and no dropped pitman arm, that could be part of your "herding" problem, especially if it happens on a uneven road.

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I follow the philosophy of all or nothing. Its not worth your time to buy tools if you don't plan on doing all future repairs yourself and have the space. Also, this job will likely only be done once as it doubtful you will still have or use the truck by the time this all wears out again.

It is threads like these that make me thankful for all that I have. A few years ago I built a 3 car shop in my fenced off back yard, have a 2.5 car extra deep garage, and about 1000sq ft of space for storage of parts. There are very few jobs I can't do, and I should be getting a lathe that will be housed in a small building that also is my gym.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Thanks for the links. I'm not sure how that leaf got bent. I know it hasn't been wrecked (on that side) since I've owned it. Someone hit it on the other side while it was parked on the street. I was looking at getting the tie rod ends and I can get moog brand for pretty affordable at rockauto. I was also looking at the adjuster things and I noticed there are 2 different types. One for up to 4200GVR and one for over 4200GVR. Which one? Also I was going to look at getting a drop pitman arm, but they don't make one for a 2" lift...do I have a 2" lift or 4"? I was told it was installed to fit 35" tires so I am assuming only 2". Sorry if I sound retarded for asking these questions. I should know my truck a little better...

I should think your truck has well over a 4200 lb gross vehicle weight rating ( they weight more than that empty ), they normally list the thread size along with that makes me think you have an incorrect listing. That sounds like a mini truck spec

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is what a 4in lift kit with dropped pitman arm looks like installed. biggest thing is the tie rods are no longer at the sides of the socket and is centered in the socket again. there is also a 2in body lift on the truck. yes, it sucks working on this truck inside the engine compartment.

Attachments

• P1000170.JPG
    P1000170.JPG
    162.5 KB · Views: 7
  • P1000171.JPG
    P1000171.JPG
    162 KB · Views: 7
  • P1000172.JPG
    P1000172.JPG
    158 KB · Views: 6
  • P1000173.JPG
    P1000173.JPG