So I was thinking...

Ziggyman

Reaction score
And I was wondering what gains, if any, as far as mpg goes from cutting off my muffler. The exhaust already ends right after the muffler, and I know it will be louder, of which I don't care, but I was wondering if there would be a noticeable increase in mileage. And how would it affect my EGT's?

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i could be wrong. but i would think it would either do nothing to your mpg, or make it worse.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
Will make it go down at first, but after a little while you will see a slight increase if it is the factory muffler. Just a giant soot trap.

heff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cut mine off and it felt a little snappier. However it sounded like total ass, I don't care what anyone says. So I put a small glass pack on it which still felt better than the og muffler but still had that annoying rappapapapa at higher rpms. So I replaced it with a big ol magnaflow muffler which felt even better across the rpm range than the glass pack. Just my experience with this.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every time I start to think, it gives me a headache, so I just go ahead and do what is on my mind, then see what happens.

7.3_IDI_guy

Currently ******'
Reaction score
I put obs psd straight pipe on one of mine from under the passenger seat back with a 5 inch tip and it sounded great

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Won't hurt it. The muffler that came off my truck felt like 100 lbs! Musta had a crap ton of carbon in it!