So have I made a terrible mistake?

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Give up an idi for a 7.3 psd?anytime.

Give up an idi for a 6.0? NEVER! Big mistake.

rjglenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, lots of opinions which is perfect. I missed the boat on the uhaul engines, I saw that after it ended. I really can't be truckless while a rebuild is performed. Although I have the ability, I lack the facility to rebuild that engine which means paying someone to do it and being trapped by someone else's sense of urgency and about twice the price.

I have obtained a monitor. My "deltas" are all over the place, but never more than 21 and that was while pulling a trailer with about 15k. I would say average, if there is such a thing is 10-12.

That being said... I really like how the truck drives. I've never had a truck that could pull like this thing does and its nice having something with good paint for a change.

The $700 in the first week was a real kick it the gut, but since then so far so good. Time will tell and I'm certainly not afraid to turn a wrench when the time comes.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I would find yourself an EGR delete just for good measure. You can usually pick up one on one of the forums brand new from someone selling it, for a pretty cheap price.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Judging from your relatively low delta, IMHO your engine (more specifically, your oil cooler) is well within the "treatable patient" level. I would do the research, start collecting the parts, change your egr as soon as you can afford to, and enjoy your 6 liter with a watchful eye.

Seriously: I have two buddies who fixed their six liters without studs and both had higher deltas than you do.

Good luck whichever way you choose to go

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dispise those who hate the 6.0s and know nothing about them. I have had over the years customers who have had nothing but 6.0 issues, then I have had other customers who have had 6.0s and have been to hell and back with them and the 6.0 just wants to keep going back, and asking for more.

It is a good motor, it is and was better as a vt365 in the IH trucks, but they ran less power. It is odd with 'less' power, they still feel really strong, at way less power then the 325hp the 6.0 powerstroke is putting out. I dont want to write a book about why the 6.0 is a good platform, because otheres here have told you what fails and why, but keep in mind, not every 6.0 had a failed oil cooler, that took out the EGR cooler that takes out the head gaskets, there where plenty that ran, and still run fine stock, and dont have these failures.

Also, a 7.3 super duty truck is not superior to a 6.0 truck, they had there share of failures.

As a former Ford diesel master circa 2007, a lead field rep for a MRAP company, and a current Navistar certified diesel tech, I like, and always will like the 6.0, they are not bad, they are just misunderstood.

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dispise those who hate the 6.0s and know nothing about them. I have had over the years customers who have had nothing but 6.0 issues, then I have had other customers who have had 6.0s and have been to hell and back with them and the 6.0 just wants to keep going back, and asking for more.

It is a good motor, it is and was better as a vt365 in the IH trucks, but they ran less power. It is odd with 'less' power, they still feel really strong, at way less power then the 325hp the 6.0 powerstroke is putting out. I dont want to write a book about why the 6.0 is a good platform, because otheres here have told you what fails and why, but keep in mind, not every 6.0 had a failed oil cooler, that took out the EGR cooler that takes out the head gaskets, there where plenty that ran, and still run fine stock, and dont have these failures.

Also, a 7.3 super duty truck is not superior to a 6.0 truck, they had there share of failures.

As a former Ford diesel master circa 2007, a lead field rep for a MRAP company, and a current Navistar certified diesel tech, I like, and always will like the 6.0, they are not bad, they are just misunderstood.

Exactly ;Sweet A Duramax is still better though... How about them 6.4's ;Really

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I would agree with most of what you said defending the 6.0, and I would also add that the way they were shoehorned into the F250/350s gave them most of their bad warranty reputation. I would add one note: IMHO the way that Intl handled warranty issues on the Ford 6.0 wasn't proactive, it was reactive. Had they taken a different approach where they recalled and removed some of the early suspect parts (perhaps even just changing the anti-freeze?), the 6.0 would have a much bigger following/different reputation.

All that being said, I agree that 6.0s can be built to be very healthy/reliable.

rjglenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going back to the dealership tomorrow to get the oasis report. With the IPR issue fixed I feel a lot better about it. Again, I have never had a truck that pulls like this one.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly ;Sweet A Duramax is still better though... How about them 6.4's ;Really

I got out of the civilian work world for a few years in 2007, only thing I have done to a ford 6.4 is some injectors on recall. I know the IH maxxforce 7s are rubbish. I have personally installed 8 maxx 7s since being with navistar. out of those 8, 3 trucks where repeat motor failures. out of those 3, one, an ambulance is on its 3rd motor. The extra weight just does not do well with that motor. I dont know if the ford boys are having the failures the navistar guys are though. Our lease fleet is thinking of going to all 6b's as they may end up being offered in the 4000 chassis trucks.

So that's some idea on the maxxforce 7s. I know that with some deletes and a tune, you can make 500whp.

I have personally owned a LB7 dmax, and love them, hands down my favorite for light duty diesel power, mine even have afew hiccups, still love them. I dont own a duramax right now because, well I am over having a fast truck. I have a 1000cc crotch rocket, everything else just seems irrelevant. Whenever I get around to re-powering my 300zx with a twin turbo motor, I will also have something fast with 4 wheels, for way cheap.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would agree with most of what you said defending the 6.0, and I would also add that the way they were shoehorned into the F250/350s gave them most of their bad warranty reputation. I would add one note: IMHO the way that Intl handled warranty issues on the Ford 6.0 wasn't proactive, it was reactive. Had they taken a different approach where they recalled and removed some of the early suspect parts (perhaps even just changing the anti-freeze?), the 6.0 would have a much bigger following/different reputation.

All that being said, I agree that 6.0s can be built to be very healthy/reliable.

I think the antifreeze was not the issue with the cooling parts failures of the trucks. The bottom line with most things I have dealt with ford and navistar wise over the years has boiled down to how much money was put into the part. I will give you an example, the LBZ dmax boys are and have had the same VGT turbo that the 6.0s boys have. The LBZ boys, have there failures from time to time, but not as many as the 6.0s. I believe the materials utilized for the exhaust housing to be the main failure point. I have heard, but have yet to confirm, the LBZ VGT turbos had better metal in there exhaust housings, and of course because of that, just did not have the horrible sticking as often as the 6.0 trucks. Ford is also not in the clear either, you have no idea how many countless lockup fan clutches I have replaced, Junk.

More bad rep was gained from ****** service techs working 6.0s. they would cause more problems then they would fix, or down time would be weeks, rather then a few days, then vioila, everyone is telling everyone how difficult it is to work a 6.0. I had a tech I worked with as a military contractor, who had been a 'Ford diesel tech' state to me, head gaskets could not be replaced in a 6.0 truck with the body on or the motor in cab. I was shocked and immediately informed him of how wrong he was, and he did not believe me. We use to do them all in cab, body on, and the fastest I ever did a set was in 10 hours. So problems compound on problems. These days I am not such a speed demon of a worker anymore, but my comeback rate is like 1 truck every 4 months, vs my 1 truck a month comeback rate I use to have, and usually when I do have a error, I catch it before it leaves the shop.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going back to the dealership tomorrow to get the oasis report. With the IPR issue fixed I feel a lot better about it. Again, I have never had a truck that pulls like this one.

when you get your oasis report, do you mind sharing it with the class? I would really love to look it over for your benefit.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I have been lurking on this thread since it was posted..... I am glad to see people standing up for the 6.0. I have been trying to sway opinions in the 6 years that I have owned mine. I do not believe you made a mistake. They are a good platform. Has mine been 100% trouble free? No. However, it has never left me stranded or made me walk. The only issues I've had is the FICM failed (failed in my garage), waterpump went, the ICP Sensor started leaking which really confuses PCM, and I had a coolant leak to the EGR Cooler, it was an external leak, not the heat exchanger part, so my fix was to delete the EGR Cooler, since I would have needed to remove the EGR Cooler to replace leaking hose, so I just deleted it, which is one of the best things I have ever done for that engine. You would not believe the amount of heat introduced into the coolant just running down the road empty. At this point, have stock except the EGR Delete. I have the factory EGR Valve (not doing anything now but keeping the PCM happy, but it is the only one the truck has had). Factory Turbo (never stuck, never cleaned) and factory head gaskets. Have flushed the coolant system when I did the waterpump, change the oil every 5000 (getting ready to switch to "synthetic" having a bit of stiction issues when cold), and fuel filters every 10000. I would buy another 6.0 without hesitation, I love mine!!!

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The coolant hose you are talking about I assume is the one from the EGR to the oil cooler? If thats the one, you dont have to remove the EGR cooler to do it, I once even did one with the turbo on.

I dont think deleting the EGR was a bad idea though, cant hurt anything.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
The coolant hose you are talking about I assume is the one from the EGR to the oil cooler? If thats the one, you dont have to remove the EGR cooler to do it, I once even did one with the turbo on.

I dont think deleting the EGR was a bad idea though, cant hurt anything.

It was the little blue line, about 3 or 4" long, with the O-Rings in it.

rjglenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The funny thing is, I bought this because the fabled IDI I have been driving forever has been driving me to drink in the past year or so... I'm not expecting a truck that I never have to work on, but I should be able to make it from point A to point B without worrying about not making it at all. Yes, I had an initial problem, but that has been it so far. I've put a couple of thousand miles on it and I'm happy. Doesn't hurt that repairs & maintenance are tax deductible...