So have I made a terrible mistake?

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Sounds like you are receiving a lot of misinformation from this 'tech' who apparently doesn't know the 6.4 is a Powerstroke.

Does the 6.7 have more advanced emissions technology than the 6.4? YES. Is it worse than the 6.4? NO. They are using the reliable SCR system to reduce the need for EGR, which in turn reduces the need for regenerations through the DPF. In the long run it's better for the engine and more fuel efficient than what the 6.4 was saddled with.

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
Sounds like you are receiving a lot of misinformation from this 'tech' who apparently doesn't know the 6.4 is a Powerstroke.

Does the 6.7 have more advanced emissions technology than the 6.4? YES. Is it worse than the 6.4? NO. They are using the reliable SCR system to reduce the need for EGR, which in turn reduces the need for regenerations through the DPF. In the long run it's better for the engine and more fuel efficient than what the 6.4 was saddled with.
He claimed there was some kinda additive you needed to run with a 6.7 that you bought to go with it? he just said the earlier ones were less hassel, every mechanic told me this.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
When it runs low.
The def has it's own tank. A warning light will come on to tell you it's low. Like 800 miles left, IIRC.

The coolant additive light comes on every 600 hours, as a reminder to check it. Takes vc-12.
Kinda light sca's with the idi.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Everything I've read about DEF on the various forums is that it is a non-issue. Just top it off every few thousand miles when it tells you. Doesn't add even $0.01 per mile to the operating cost really. BUT the benefits are that you don't have to rely as much on EGR, which is better for your engine, and you won't have to clear the DPF as often, so there is a fuel savings.

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everything I've read about DEF on the various forums is that it is a non-issue. Just top it off every few thousand miles when it tells you. Doesn't add even $0.01 per mile to the operating cost really. BUT the benefits are that you don't have to rely as much on EGR, which is better for your engine, and you won't have to clear the DPF as often, so there is a fuel savings.

^^^Exactly!^^^ Far more trouble free than an EGR only system ;Sweet

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love my LBZ but the cost to own a go fast truck when the main thing I do is work the crud out of it doesnt make much sense.

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
The point alot of techs made to me was in the old diesel systems you had way more leeway on what you could throw in the fuel tank and to alot of them this was important?

I was also told the new systems will shut down and not start weather you like it or not if something is sensed to be wrong with the truck? it was interesting because every tech told me they will take an old PS and a few said IDI but most said old PS! The latest one I talked to really liked the 6.0 when fixed.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For a diesel tech, the old trucks make more sense yes. For the average guy who isn't turning a wrench, the gas motor trucks make more sense. For someone who is towing heavy twice a week or more, the new diesels make more sense. IMHO.

Ford needs to get real, add a gauge for the def (diesel exhaust fluid) Hino has it on there trucks, and that is super nice.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The point alot of techs made to me was in the old diesel systems you had way more leeway on what you could throw in the fuel tank and to alot of them this was important?

I was also told the new systems will shut down and not start weather you like it or not if something is sensed to be wrong with the truck? it was interesting because every tech told me they will take an old PS and a few said IDI but most said old PS! The latest one I talked to really liked the 6.0 when fixed.

The statement of the trucks will shut down even if you want them to run sounds like someone who doesn't understand how the systems work would say. The only thing that will shut you down on the 2008 and newer trucks would be a soot load condition where the truck couldn't regen properly. The rest of the tech is the same as it has been since the mid 90s for the most part. The egr system won't shut the truck down unless you face a condition where, for example, carbon has built up and is holding the valve open.

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
The statement of the trucks will shut down even if you want them to run sounds like someone who doesn't understand how the systems work would say. The only thing that will shut you down on the 2008 and newer trucks would be a soot load condition where the truck couldn't regen properly. The rest of the tech is the same as it has been since the mid 90s for the most part. The egr system won't shut the truck down unless you face a condition where, for example, carbon has built up and is holding the valve open.

I heard there was something in one of the systems where the truck would not run out correctly if it was not right, or a high idle condition to burn something off?

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Well, it will shut down for example if your HPFP is compromised. I can't imagine why you would want it to run in that condition though, unless $10-15k repairs are your thing.

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Newer rigs are designed to shut down before they damage themselves... Most of our older rigs will just let go in a big expensive way :shocked:

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I heard there was something in one of the systems where the truck would not run out correctly if it was not right, or a high idle condition to burn something off?

That high idle condition would be a regeneration. I can't speak for the automotive application as I got out of the game in 2007, pre dpf, doc times. With the trucks I work on now a soot load 2 and 3 will de rate a motor, and sometimes because of that it will shut down. Other then that, for the 2008 - 2012 trucks that's the only thing new that will shut it down. The 2013 epa trucks I can't speak about as I don't know about what other element the def fluid system adds to how the truck runs.