Simple WVO collection pumping setup

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i have engines lying around, i will have to look to see if i can just buy the pump that attaches to it.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ill have to take a loo and see what my pumps are. They just suck a vavuum to prime and then easily pull the fliud.

I think they came out of sterilizers or something along those lines.

Oilguy

Reaction score
Well, a tank that will hold up under vacuum for one thing. Preferably one big enough to hold 55+ gallons.

That's one of the main reasons I prefer a pumping system - I can pump into 55 gallon drums...

Hey Jeeper...
I know you've made up your mind... But I just got a condemned propane tank from a propane store. They have whatever size you need. I got a 215 Gallon because it fit perfectly in my trailer (sideways) and it only cost my $50.
They condemn these things for a variety of reasons that don't have to do with whether or not they leak... Mine had one of the legs bent so that it wobbled on level ground...

I Welded new "Feet" on the top and flipped it so all the factory fitting are on the bottom... That way I didn't have to worry about my welds leaking when I pressured it up to drain it.

I have had a Mobile oil change business for about 8 years and I have NEVER had anything work as well as my new Vac/Pressure setup.
I just emptied 150 Gallons of cold oil at the warehouse and it only took about 5 minutes with about 80 PSI and takes about 4-5 mins to pull back under vacuum >>> beauty of it is >> If they tank is under vacuum -- It can't leak!! I Love that!!

In Fact I am retrofitting my warehouse with 4 500 gallon cylinders for my fresh oil because I now HATE listening to the pumps run... I would rather listen to the radio... hahaha

OG

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I may have found at least a short term solution. I was at one of my favorite industrial surplus places the other day and they had a nice looking little craftsman 3 HP horizontal shaft motor with a small pressure washer pump attached to it sitting there in the corner. Looked almost new.

Picked it up for $50, took it home and took the pump apart and cleaned and un-stuck the inlet & outlet check valves for all 3 of the pistons in the pump. Primed the inlet, fired it up and VIOLA' it pumps cold oil like a champ!

Not all that fast mind you, but then I'm using 5/8" garden hoses, and it still moves about a gallon a minute of cold oil. Not great, but better than the 12 volt HF marine utility pump I used last time. That one took over 2 hours to pump a 55 drum full of oil...

Last edited:

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may have found my ultimate solution. Harbor Freight sells a gas-powered trash pump just a hair bigger than this one

You must be registered for see images attach

for $129 - and I got a 20% off coupon in my email. That made it about $115 after taxes and out the door.

The one pictured above has a 25 cc 4-stroke motor and will pump 23 gpm. The HF unit has a 52 cc 2-stroke motor and will pump 31 gpm. It also will pump up to 63 feet high and self prime with up to a 19 foot lift! Of course the HF unit isn't a Honda engine, but for 1-1/2 times the capacity and half the price, it seems like the best value.

subway

Reaction score
cool, let us know how it works out for you. i think some thick WMO would soften up those numbers but i doubt you need to launch it 63 feet anyway:D

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cool, let us know how it works out for you. i think some thick WMO would soften up those numbers but i doubt you need to launch it 63 feet anyway:D

LOL! Yeah, those numbers are for pumping water, but I figure if it even does 1/3 of that with WVO it would still pump 21 feet uphill, 6 feet suction lift, and 10+ gpm. WAY more than enough.

I've adapted the 1" inlet and outlet to garden hose couplings - that way I can use the hoses I already have. Should work pretty well I think.

oly_fab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll find that garden hose wont work too well on the inlet side. It'll collapse, try the white spahose from homedepot. Trust me already been through this.

Stu

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll find that garden hose wont work too well on the inlet side. It'll collapse, try the white spahose from homedepot. Trust me already been through this.

Stu

I have one that is pretty stiff vinyl I'm going to give a try before I go and spring for a different kind of hose. Thanks for the tip on what to get and and where to get it if it doesn't work out though...

ull7

Ford f250 Greaser
Reaction score
Siphon

I am going to try just using a siphon pump this year and see how it works just pump the primer and fill up 5 gallon totes at a time. should be nice and quiet and then bring them home 5 at a time and filter that way I have 5 barrels full of wvo I need to run through first!!!!

subway

Reaction score
so do you use a fridge compressor or the vacume pump in your truck? i was thinking of using the one in my truck, i just need to think of a way to split the vacume so i have it for brakes and the tank. may be a good excuse for hydroboost.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
I had been using refer compressors, but they're stinky and prone to failure. I broke down and bought a Robinaire vacuum pump that does 5cfm...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online