Side swiped by a dump truck today, what should i be sure to check when adjuster comes

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
start looking in truck trader and truck paper for commercial box crewcab pickup dualies. they are very tough to find as comparables.
flip a coin, suspension damage or service box damage will total you. factor in both and you are done without trying .

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Holy cow. Glad you're Alright.
So towcat, you think his frame is done? Or just the fact the insurance will consider it totaled?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holy cow. Glad you're Alright.
So towcat, you think his frame is done? Or just the fact the insurance will consider it totaled?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
age and book value will give him very little room to work with. the labor hours alone to fix the rear suspension(replace) will total the truck. let's face it, the insurance co. will say it's worth $5k at the most unless he is fat in coming up with comparables.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
get the damn thing appraised before they even have a chance to make an offer

just make sure they are willing to give an appraisal for the value prior to the accident, most appraisers I've dealt with will as long as they know ahead of time why you need it ;Sweet

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's about what I figured. I do have vehicle replacement on my insurance that adds 20% to value but I'm not sure how that plays out since I'm not at fault for the accident
sounds like you have full coverage and a little more. talk to your agent and file a claim.
let us know what we do to help :D

needlenose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck with the insurance company! The only thing that will get them to act with any slight margin of fairness is a letter from an attorney confirming representation.

But at that point you're already out the money.

Insurance companies make a lot of money stiffing people with less than $10K worth in their vehicle. If you have a $70K BMW, you can bet you will get your money's worth. Especially if there's a lender involved. Also, if you don't want to hire a lawyer, then never, ever mention one in your negotiations with the adjuster. It's what he's looking for. As soon as you say "lawyer" he will thank you for your time and forward your case to legal. At that point you *have* to get a lawyer or accept whatever they offered. The adjuster is off to the next job.

One thing in your favor, your state should have laws defining how long the case can stay open.(at least TX does) The longer you take to gather information, opinions, request documentation/proof, etc, the more antsy they will get. Another thing is that, usually, as long as there is adequate documentation, they will settle out of court once if becomes a legal issue. This is because most judiciaries will rule in favor of the plaintiff over the big insurance co. But then you get the pay the lawyer out of whatever you get paid.

Are you sure you're feeling ok? That looked like quite a blow! :)

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Axle is more n likely done...dkesnt take much to tweak it to non usable status....

I concurr w towcat it likely is a write off.....

Good luck with it.

Most importantly hows yer neck....sore yet????