Sick of newer diesels...go IDI?

RLU_tech

Reaction score
So ive had a couple newer (to me) diesel pickups that im sick of pumping money into. Everything on them is so expensive...EGR coolers, oil coolers, fuel injectors (HEUI and common rail), I'm almost ready to give up and go back to gas. I've been recently thinking of trying to find a decent IDI era Ford instead. I don't tow anything real heavy, I just want something that is reliable, simple to work on, and cheaper to maintain and repair. Would you guys recommend doing this? I would need it to start in cold Wisconsin weather unplugged as it would be my daily driver to and from work. Im willing to sacrifice the power to go old school, and would leave the engine stock anyways. Would like to have decent MPG's for going to the cabin (about 200 miles one way). I think I could be happy in an IDI.

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
If it was me I would try an get a 92-94 either auto or manual because personally I like the obs body's and bullnose and there's no real nice after market parts like head lights and stuff which you may not even want that stuff but to me the interiors are nice to.and also I would try and get one that's either been turbod or is factory with one but that depends on the miles.now other people can Probley give you more details on what to look for just givin my 2 cents

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

RLU_tech

Reaction score
I agree with you 83ford, that would be the year range I'd like to get. I found a nice '94 f-350 CC/LB 4x4 7.3 non-turbo with 90,000 original miles on Craigslist. The guy claims it was owned by the Air Force. Looks to be in really nice factory condition, but he is asking $8,900.00. That price to me seems a little ridiculous, even considering the miles.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
'80-'97 trucks are simple and reliable. IDI seems to be a good engine, I've had mine almost two years now and while the truck has had issues I attribute that to 30 years of abuse and neglect by previous owner. It has never left me stranded, one of the appeals of older trucks. I miss the power of my 460 truck, far more HP and torque than my IDI with turbo, but the IDI is as reliable as the carbed 460. Has some issues starting down in single digits, but that was just neglect of PO... Weak batteries and crusty cables. New pair of group 31 and new 2/0 cables and she fires up almost the same down to 0* as a warm day. Fires quick but maybe a slightly miss for a second or two then ready to go.

If you get an IDI put a turbo on it. Mine has a turbo and it's still a ****. So terribly slow, especially with a modest load around 5000 lbs. It's tolerable, but I don't think I could stand it NA.

Alternatively get a carbed 460 truck and if no emissions testing in your state desmog it, put a Holley 750 on it, bump up initital timing, and put a double roller timing chain straight up. Ideally do some port work on the exhaust side, bump the compression and put a torque cam in it. Either way that would get you cheap reliable power. I like my IDI though, it's nice in its own way.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
welcome to the site.
a healthy dose of realism is needed when it comes to the IDI motor.
Even though it is simple compared to the newer trucks, you will need to put in some $$$ to bring any truck to a reliable long distance runner status. Often these trucks are not maintained religiously, and they will stay running.
You will also need to be realistic on the drop in power output. Computerized diesels are tweaked and tuned for max output.
IDI's are tweaked and tuned to slowly get you there but you will get there with little worry.
When you have a chance, read up on the FAQ's at the top and browse through the tech section. We have accumulated knowledge here since 1995, if not earlier.

Runningaford

Reaction score
The 94' automatic idi that my brother has, is an ex Air Force rig. It had 67,000 miles, and we paid $4,000 for it; so I think the one your looking at is priced a bit high. They're the N/A M engines.

Aside from that, I really like my idi with the zf5, and actually my brothers as well. Without turbo, both seem to have fairly good pick up, and with mine, unloaded driving in the mountains, can maintain 65 to 75 up the climbs.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
...you will need to put in some $$$ to bring any truck to a reliable long distance runner status. Often these trucks are not maintained religiously, and they will stay running...

Towcat put it best right there. Make sure you buy it right because you more than likely will need to throw a chunk of change at it to get it to an "ill drive it anywhere" status

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my powerstroke 7.3's have been pretty damn reliable with only minor issues.

but in the end, i still prefer to drive the IDI. when it comes to working on them, they are nothing short of FUN, IMO.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, they've usually been neglected for years, if not decades. Because the dang things just keep running. If simple and reliable are what you want, an IDI is hard to beat. They don't have the raw horsepower of the newer diesels, but that only prolongs the life of an already stout drivetrain. They don't make enough power to tear up the rest of the truck.

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have asked a fairly biased audience. I've had my '89 F-250 for six years, and I can honestly say it is the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. However, that's after an investment of twice what I paid for it in upgrades and maintenance that had been neglected for many years.

If simplicity and reliability is your foremost need, it is hard to beat an IDI. If you're looking for power, get a Cummins or other straight six design (DT360).

RLU_tech

Reaction score
Thanks guys! What everyone is describing of their IDI expiriances, is what I'm looking to get outta my truck. I'm willing to stick money in the right truck to make some repairs and some preventative maintenance. I like these trucks because even big ticket items (fuel injectors, injection pumps, lift pumps, etc.), aren't rediculosly expensive like on a common rail or HEUI engine. Now the hardest part will be to find the right truck, as they don't seem to be plentiful.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my '88 for $3000 (IIRC) and probably invested another $1000 into it. $500 of it was for a new IP and injectors. Maybe $100 for 8 glow plugs and a controller. I also replaced the starter and positive battery cable....then added an electric fuel pump.

I have been DD it for the past 3 years and the only time it wouldn't start was when the fuel filter clogged. Besides that it has been completely reliable. It even took 10 of us to Florida and back (2400+ miles) with a trailer in tow without a hitch. Averaged over 16mpg for the trip.