Sad News

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Ryan, not only is my truck my daily driver, but when both vehicles are sitting in the yard, we hop into the F250. It's WAY safer should you be in a crash, it gets about the same mileage as my POS '04 Grand Am with a 2.2 and should something break, I'd rather work on the pickup than the car.

This is the whole principal for me to put the CCLB together and drive that. 4 doors for loading kids in the back, 8 feet of bed for hauling whatever needs to be hauled (bike, tent, wood, you name it) and an engine that will outlast the body and frame in my climate.

Whatever route you choose, keep in touch with us!!

What is fuel per gallon down there? It's $5.39 a us gallon here. ($1.428 per liter x 3.78 liters)

txquigly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey C.G. Not only do I drive my diesels every day....all day, but if I just need to run into town for groceries or parts or whatever, I take one of 4 or 5 of my trucks sitting around....which ever one strikes my mood at the time. And YES, it's still cheaper AND SAFER than driving my Jeep. It's a hot rod, pimped out Grand Cherokee Overland that's sooo much fun to drive, but I drive my trucks the most because I BREW MY OWN!!! I run what ever will make a fire when the piston hits the top! You Can't afford NOT to try every survival tactic you can these days! Especially with the commies that are trying to ruin our nation as fast as they can! And just an off topic note: When's the last time you had a fight with your truck and it wasn't there when you went back outside???? I have one truck that's been through 3 marriages! Not real sure if that's funny or not, but things are Good now!
Hang in there, explore ALL your options and don't do anything rash.....it's not that hard!

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
Its really not All Amber saying this I am in agreement to. If we allready had another vehicle for a daily driver there is no doubt i would keep this truck, but with it being our only vehicle and all I need something smaller, and less costly on the fuel. Ive never really needed a big huge truck, every since ive had it all ive ever hauled is usually wood for the winter....I really dont want to but I think i need to.

Who here uses there IDI as a daily driver, and is the only vehicle?

I use my truck, and only my truck since about sept, let the registrations lapse on just about everything else except the wife's '00 Astro (which is down right now, I hate computerized ****)
My truck is far more comfortable than a lot of other vehicles, and plenty safer with all the ********* we have in this town now, I get people trying to play "beat the big-ass truck" while turning everyday (air horns are my friend)
I don't run WMO, I buy my fuel at the pump (and currently am paying [email protected])
I say find a way to make your truck pay for itself, I scrap sometimes when I'm bored, and lately I've been buying junkers and making pickup box trailers every other Sat (best thing to ever happen to a Chevy LOL), either way I need this truck, could I use a F-150 for what I do? probably, but mileage would probably end up being the same, and I can't drag a truck without tires up out of a coolie with a half ton
I understand the appeal of a VW diesel, but as far as a cheap car that's good on gas, I'd be looking for an 88-91 Metro hatchback with a 3cyl and 5spd(I've had 3), or a Little Underpowered Vehicle (Luv diesel), either way you can expect to pay under $1500 and get 40+mpg, hell, you don't have kids yet, buy a POS Honda CRX (you only NEED 2 seats, right?) needless to say, she shouldn't care what you drive, you're not married and don't have to worry about hauling kids safely yet, so buy cheap and wait to spend money later
Personally, I say park the IDI and cover it with a tarp if you can't afford to run it, especially with the "if we already had another vehicle I would keep it", and why exactly doesn't she have her own vehicle from before she met you?:confused:
but that's all me, and after finally getting a 4x4 IDI CC, I'll be damned if I'm going to give it up (which my wife understands) , but make your own choice, but remember this when thinking about it: IF you sell it now and are planning to ever get back into one later, remember you're going to be spending at least that much to buy another in the future, and who's to say you'll ever be able to afford it when you want/need to?

When's the last time you had a fight with your truck and it wasn't there when you went back outside???? I have one truck that's been through 3 marriages! Not real sure if that's funny or not
yes.... yes it is....LOL

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OLDBULL8 FYI: a "good buddy" belongs in San Fran with the village people if you get my drift. From a 28 yr trucker

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i bought my crew cab FOR my family and i plan on driving it much more now that i have my CF set up.

i also bought a $400 Jetta, sorry not diesel and spent about an other $400 getting it fixed up.
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?52431-99-Volkswagon-with-a-blown-head-gasket

now a have the best of both worlds where i can cut corners with a peppy car and haul wood and not get stuck in the mud or snow with my truck. they both can haul my family and it also helps keep me from getting bored with one vehicle.

Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OLDBULL8 FYI: a "good buddy" belongs in San Fran with the village people if you get my drift. From a 28 yr trucker

Geez, didn't know that. Just remembered that saying from the song about forming a convoy I think. Sorry TC, not what I mean't.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Those local here that know me know that I am in a constant tug o' war with my ole' lady over trucks and such... :sly (fill in the blank on the "such" part) :D

I've sold trucks and a month later needed them badly. I missed an awesome deal on a really nice trailer because I had no way of towing it. By the time I got a good running truck again, I was stuck buying a used up worn out fifth wheel because that's what I had to have at the time.

It is very hard to justify the fuel economy for a daily driver, unless you end up doing cocktails or WVO or something similar. I've depended on my truck for the daily driver, at one point I was using it for work driving hundreds of miles a day in the controls business. It made me money, it got me home 200 miles one night after jumping a curb in it and bending the front end works all to hell. Got me out of the knee deep snow and got me to work several times last winter.

In the end you've got to do what's best. I would recommend you look at your situation and make the decision that works best for you. If you end up having to get rid of the truck over "her wishes" I feel you pain, brother. Just remember that you have no way of knowing what the future holds for you, my friend. If you had asked me this time last year I wouldn't have ever guessed that I would be working a job where I have to travel hundreds of miles away from my home base. My truck with the fifth wheel has allowed me the fantastic ability to have my wife and son with me when I am working out of state. I get to sleep in my own bed, eat my own food, watch the tv stations I want, sit on my own toilet every single night.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! ;Really

;Sweet

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep your truck and look around for a 92-95 honda civic VX model. They had the special lean burn v-tech motor in them and are capable of 50+ mpg highway. If you want to mess around with the ecm and gut the cat Ive heard reports as high as mid 60's mpgs.I see them from time to time in the 1500$ range from some ricer kid has no idea what it is.

Mileage that can best a TDI without all the maintainance costs or electrical headaches. I mean a honda civic is as cheap and realible as it gets, and just downright fun to drive. After weighing my options, Ive since decided to stay away from the TDI and go the civic route. Im on the huntdown for the right VX, or possibly its newer counterpart the HX.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Well I really dont want to have to say this but I do believe its time for me to get rid of the IDI. I really really dont want to but some things are changing that. With the rising prices of fuel its hard to keep the truck full, with it being my daily driver. I need something more economical and efficient, Amber and I are back together now and going strong, talks or marriage and starting a family soon. Again I really dont want to do this but to make this all happen I can not see myself with a car seat in the back of a 94 CC diesel, and it being the only vehicle....Anyone in the community who is interested in it give me a shout out on here. I feel like im letting the oil burners community down by giving up on it. Well not really giving up, I need to give up some things to get, Who's to say I wont get myself back into an IDI or PSD in the future. But for now its time to let it go to get the family started.

A crew cab pickup makes a great family car. Ours lasted us 10 years till we outgrew it.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I drive my IDI every single day. My wife has her vehicle and I have my IDI. She doesn't drive it (or the crew cab for that matter). I don't drive her's.

It really is none of my business, but you need to get out of your relationship with Amber. You really do. It's unhealthy, dysfunctional, manipulative, and will only end badly. Don't wait to leave the relationship AFTER children are invovled............leave now.

Heath

SHARPIE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Selling a truck over a chick thats cookoo cookoo cookoo cookoo cookoo :puke: crazy talk!

Find a chick that likes trucks ;Sweet

Did it once when I was 17 never again

I drive my GAS hog 8MPG! Everyday, But when its changes to a diesel I will use anything that will burn in my tank.

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep your truck and look around for a 92-95 honda civic VX model. They had the special lean burn v-tech motor in them and are capable of 50+ mpg highway. If you want to mess around with the ecm and gut the cat Ive heard reports as high as mid 60's mpgs.I see them from time to time in the 1500$ range from some ricer kid has no idea what it is.

Mileage that can best a TDI without all the maintainance costs or electrical headaches. I mean a honda civic is as cheap and realible as it gets, and just downright fun to drive. After weighing my options, Ive since decided to stay away from the TDI and go the civic route. Im on the huntdown for the right VX, or possibly its newer counterpart the HX.

thats crazy.....tell me more please :D.....is it one of those b## motors?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online