Sad News

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
My truck is my only vehicle and my daily driver. Funny thing is, my kids love it. I say its because thats what delivers their daddy to them:angel: I also feel they are pretty darn safe in the thing. I do understand the need for a miser vehicle. I figured if I did 75% of my driving in a Jetta tdi I would be ahead about $175 a month........after the added cost of insurance and registration. I am also driving around empty a huge amount of the time. The TDI along side of my truck would be the ticket.:sly I can't imagine eliminateing the truck entirely and relying on a car exclusively.......no more firewood, stuck when it snows, no scrapping, no towing trailers, wouldn't even be able to move a lawn tractor.:eek: I'd lose my marbles. This year was a wash with snow but one good push pays for diesel for the rest of the year not to mention the side money I can make otherwise. Who knows? If everyone starts ditching their trucks altogether, the ones left with a truck may have an asset that we know not the value of yet.:sly

That is a nice rig you have. Good luck what ever route you choose, just figured I'd give you another view on things.:dunno

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
the biggest thing working against me right now is winter fuel. its got me down to 15 on a good day with a good tail windLOL. during the summer i can get 19mpg driving how i want. i think that is good mpg for the vehicle. ya still nothing compared to a jetta but.......

94IDIT

Reaction score
Ryan, why not start a family in a vehicle that will survive until your kids are like 10? That's my plan!

Mine too!

Who here uses there IDI as a daily driver, and is the only vehicle?

ME! For the time being that is, 80 miles round trip commute, everyday. Like a bossLOL

Im going to try to keep in a Diesel, im shooting for trying to find a diesel jetta.

Not trying to be an ass here, but why don't you make a little homebrew? At 50/50 wmo you're getting 30+ mpg. Let's say you find a tdi for 10 grand, now you've got a car payment and you still have to put fuel in it, and insure it. How long is it going to take you to reach a return on your investment compared to how much fuel you could have put in a vehichle that you don't owe a dime on? I get where you're coming from, I'm 22 with a wife and a child and I know how it is to be faced with those circumstances. Where I you, I'd go buy a 500-1000 dollar car that's more efficient, pay for it in CASH, make some fuel yourself, keep the truck and just drive it when you want, and be happy!;Sweet It's a win-win-win deal.

I drive mine everyday and I love it.....WMO is your friend.

EXACTLY!

TDI's are great but their values are about to skyrocket.

True that.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who here uses there IDI as a daily driver, and is the only vehicle?
Me. But my girlfriend has her OWN car and she agreed that my truck isn't going anywhere.

What are you gonna do if she needs the car but you gotta go somewhere, bike? Likewise in reverse.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
I drive my truck EVERYDAY! Its lifted, on 37's. I have many other cars but i drive the truck everyday because its the cheapest to run short of my motorcycle. Everyone here knows i run cocktails for fuel. The past two weekends i've driven it down to the Keys twice. I average 3000mi a month. Love my truck, short of a diesel Mercedes which is the only thing cheaper to run. I run take off military tires on the cheap. I don't have a family but i take my best friend's kids quite often and they love riding in my truck.

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
after reading all those posts i think i need to get into the wmo business :p. your truck is for sure a looker cg, how much you looking to get for her? and can you post/pm pics?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
congratulations to Amber. She won on all counts.
good luck!

btw....WMO cocktails are my friend.

10-4 on that good buddy, as the truckers say , and I don't mean about the **** tails. Best of luck Ryan.

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
Best of luck. Not to sound negative, but I hope you do not end up WITHOUT a girl or truck next month!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?55417-Girl-friend-problems

kids......don't make the same mistake this guy is doing....unless your aspiration it to be on Jerry Springer.
btw......he's a glutton for punishment too. Met him and his GF at the Portuguese bullfights in Thorton, CA a couple of times over the years.
:shocked: :shocked: :shocked: That's what I get for avoiding the off-topic forums...wow, that story has too many elements that sound way too familiar. This is not going to end well, one way or another...

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get a tdi. I bought mine and its saved me a fortune. It allowed me to keep my truck while also affording the car.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get a tdi. I bought mine and its saved me a fortune. It allowed me to keep my truck while also affording the car.
Agreed. Taking fuel, insurance, maintenance, and registration costs onto account, I found that having both the truck and the commuter car is significantly cheaper than just having the truck. With that said, that doesn't factor in purchase price (I paid $7K for an almost-creampuff 2001 that was easily worth $10K :angel: ) and assumes that you can justify a truck. I need a truck just often enough to justify the associated costs, and besides, you can have my truck when you pry my cold dead fingers off the steering wheel LOL

Just my $.02...

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel the same way about my truck. I use it every weekend for trailer and it has never let me down. It's actually everyones spare vehicle because its always running when everyone elses crap is broke.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Staff online