Sad News

FordGuy100

Reaction score
173K Miles on my TDI and no electrical issues whatsoever.....(knocks on wood LOL). After owning two TDI's, I think of them like second gen dodges. They definatly have faults...but that powertrain rocks.

Try to find any used vehicle without issues is hard anyways though, thats just the fact about used rigs.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
But it doesnt matter if its a TDI, or Civic, their prices will be going up in the future (if fuel stays at the same price or rises, which more than likely it will).

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We've never had electrical issues with our three jettas. The interiors are a little cheap and foam comes out t e ac vents but overall they last a long time. My dads has the original clutch with 238kthe on it and the original rear brake pads. I like my truck but its expensive to drive when you don't want to take the time for cocktail fuel mixes.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You will never get over knowing she was unfaithful in mind, spirit, or body you may say you have but deep down it will burn you to the core every time you and she have a disagreement

Not trying to slam you, but if you have a chance get that taken care of before you decide to start a family. If you want to sell your truck sell it, no skin off my back. But please think long and hard (as you are on selling your truck) before you start a family, it is a much bigger committment than what vehicle you drive.
These words are well worth listening to. The first one, I know from experience; haven't had to deal with the second part. I understand giving someone a second chance, but I would strongly recommend three things:

1) Move slowly!! Don't make any commitments yet...don't pull the marriage trigger and sure as HELL don't start working on a family. You're better off giving it time...make sure that you and she still feel the same way about each other in 2 or 3 years. You have your entire life ahead of you; no sense rushing into things, especially with what's been going on recently between you two.

2) Go into this with both eyes wide open...it is easy to be blinded by love, or even by a sense of obligation (I've been in both situations, and ended up soundly regretting it both times), but you need to try your damndest to keep your eyes open and be very, VERY careful.

3) Unless you are 100% certain you won't need a truck in the near to moderate future, I'm on board with the "keep the truck and get a second car" bandwagon. IIRC she doesn't drive right now; that will likely change, and having the second vehicle will come in handy...and, this way, you can still haul or tow if needed.

Just my $.02...best of luck with whatever you choose.

BTW, on the brewing Jetta fight :D let me throw in my two cents...I've had my Jetta TDI for about 10 months and am as happy as a pig in ***** matter :angel: With that said, they're a good chunk of change to buy and it's a whole new learning curve. Actually, if you want something you can wrench yourself, I would strongly recommend an '85 or older Mercedes diesel. I ran them for 9 years, and they were great cars...engines will run forever and they're generally good on fuel (I averaged mid 20's), and if you know where to get them, parts aren't ridiculously expensive. As to the Hondas...I refuse to buy gasoline-powered vehicles and I refuse to buy Japanese vehicles :puke:

RedTruck

Reaction score
No Jetta fights...not from me. There is enough of a tdi following that my measly comments are nothing. TDI supporters outnumber us neigh sayers...even in a US built truck forum.

If you're interested in getting rid of your rig CG, I've been looking for a crew cab for a while. I'm looking for the right deal...actually I've been waiting for Calvin to drop off a stripped California tonner CC frame with complete titled crew cab minus the drive train, box, and front clip on his way to a rally...I'm still waiting... :(

wmoguy

Reaction score
not to threadjack, but does anyone have real world experience using WMO blends in a Jetta?

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
not to threadjack, but does anyone have real world experience using WMO blends in a Jetta?

my Jetta burns it, i have to add a quart to my gasser every few thousand miles:D

7.3_IDI_guy

Currently ******'
Reaction score
I figure id give my .02, I have been married before and trust me... it did NOT work out at all. Man you don't need to rush into anything like that. But on the idi/tdi issue, now god forbid but.... I'd MUCH rather my girlfriend (whom I would give my life for) be in my truck when someone hits me rather than a little VW car. Which one is more structurally sound? In my life i've totaled two trucks, A mazda B3000 4x4 (tree 45mph) and an 89 F150 (telephone pole 70mph). The LITTLE mazda costed me a large bump on the head with a concussion to boot, and I walked away without a scratch from the F150. But everything aside good luck man, seems like your goin through a hard time but I'll pray for you

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Where a car doesnt have as much mass...there are some advantages. Lower center of gravity means way less of a chance to roll it over. Quicker stopping distances. Other than that, I think trucks are safer.

Let me give you an example. My brother in law recently hit a horse (a young one, maybe 300 pounds?) with his Jetta TDI. He hit it doing 70mph. It hit driver/center side of the front of the car. When he hit it, the car turned 90* in the road. Now, I'm almost willing to bet that if he was driving a truck, it would have gone under the front tire, and thrown the truck sideways some (albeit not as much as the car). Truck has much more mass and would have kept going, towards the ditch (but not a 90* like the car), he would have gone into the ditch not being able to stop it in time, and this particular ditch is very steep. My guess is he would have rolled it.

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where a car doesnt have as much mass...there are some advantages. Lower center of gravity means way less of a chance to roll it over. Quicker stopping distances. Other than that, I think trucks are safer.

Let me give you an example. My brother in law recently hit a horse (a young one, maybe 300 pounds?) with his Jetta TDI. He hit it doing 70mph. It hit driver/center side of the front of the car. When he hit it, the car turned 90* in the road. Now, I'm almost willing to bet that if he was driving a truck, it would have gone under the front tire, and thrown the truck sideways some (albeit not as much as the car). Truck has much more mass and would have kept going, towards the ditch (but not a 90* like the car), he would have gone into the ditch not being able to stop it in time, and this particular ditch is very steep. My guess is he would have rolled it.

this is exactly why id rather my gf drive my truck then her little sentra

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I am not trying to bash VW's at all here, but when I worked for Academy towing, we had the roadside contract for Halifax for Chevrolet/GMC, Volkswagon and Kia. In all seriousness, we towed less Kia's than anything. Chevrolet took the majority of the calls (most people leaving lights on or locking keys in) but Volkswagon seemed to be not too far behind. This was in 2009, and most of the issues were driving along and the car would die...no power to ANYTHING. This was only in teh gas engine versions, and one of their Routan van models would **** oil from the filter housing without warning...those were fun calls in the rain...wet deck, then covered with oil..

The diesels houever, I NEVER towed ONE TDI EVER...even when I worked at ACE towing...But what a ****** to ger wheel lifts under without damagiong the pans...you would back up to the car, extend the lift to tough the wheels, jack the car up and insert the wheel lift bar from the rear almost UNDER the tire, then strap the wheel....if not, 506 (IH 2 ton wrecker) would smash oil pans out EVERY time. I never lost a SINGLE pan :D

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
Just my two cents on the subject:
For almost five years when I wash younger, the only reason I was driving at all, was because I could make my little POS Ranger pay its own bills. Hauling stuff for friends, taking weekend dump run gigs outa the paper. Hell there were two or three jobs I got simply because I happened to be there and said "you know, I could shuttle that over if you need." That poor old truck was absolute crap, but it was one of my biggest mistakes when I finally sold her.

Justifying keeping the truck:
for what you will pay for a nice little roundabout car, you could just buy a nice oil processing setup. You may still burn roughly the same volume of fuel, but at worst it will cost you half as much.

If you can only have one vehicle at the moment, and especially if it's going to be a family vehicle. You need something that's going to be good in all those "*** now?" situations. You just can't beat a truck for that. Plus, being a CC, it's got the room to be a really nice family vehicle day to day.

With a little work here and there, it will pay for itself.

As far as "not needing a truck that big" My 250 got better mileage hauling roughly six tons of crap in my move, than that little ranger did empty. Am I going to haul that much often? Oh hell no, but I CAN. That and I can drag ANY project car home I want to. (or my friends cars around when they break them)

My vote is decidedly KEEP THE TRUCK. I'm pretty sure you're going to regret ditching it. If fueling it is getting to be too much, run cocktails, and make it work for its living. It's a truck, that's what they do best!

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Well Im no longer an IDI owner. I had to do it. I referred its new owner to oilburners. Guys its really not Ambers doings its both of ours. I hated doing ti but I had to think about the future and the cost of repairs/ fuel prices/ and maintenance. I sold it for $4500. Used $3500 for a down payment and i bought a 2010 Kia forte with 46k miles. I looked up information on these cars before buying, and they seem very decent vehicles. Just because I am no longer an idi owner dont mean I wont be here helping others out.