S1600 Internationals

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So does anyone here have an S cab with an IDI?

Brother and I have been looking for an older single or tandem axel dump for the farm. We were looking more for a gasser ford because they can be had cheap and we got a lot if ford parts but I found a S cab with a 6.9.

I love the idi in my pickups but I'm very unsure about one in a medium duty. Maybe since it has more gears it wouldn't be as bad as I think but someone on here has to have ran one.
Thanks
Frank

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
These S1600 trucks are fine with the 6.9 or 7.3 idi in them. Be aware that the injection pumps will be the low rpm type. But you can change them to the pick up truck injection pumps too. then you will have more rpm and hp to work with. The rear end gears are much higher too. Don't recall if you can find them lower than 5:13 either. But they will haul the mail for you.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I drove one with a 6.9 and spicer 5 speed. I think it was a spicer anyhow. Hauled fruit with it. It was a single axle. Low enough rear gears that it pulled just fine with it, no speed records broken but it got there. Down to 3rd on big hills and a bit smokey. Never had issues with it during the time I was emplyed at that outfit. Probably still running

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Way I figured it I have had mine over 16,000 gvw with a 3 speed auto and 3:55 gears so near 20,000 loaded with 2 speed rear and a 5 wouldn't be terrible.

I also agree with the pickup injection pump

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jorge140

Members online