Ruff Rider

Popeye2347

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is about time to address the ride qualities of my 1994 F250 4x4 diesel. I knew it would not have a 'Cadillac' ride as it is a 3/4 ton truck, but after one short drive in my friends 1995 4x4 F250, it is a night and day difference. So, the question is how do I achieve a better ride?

It has right at 130k miles and most everything except filters, tires, etc are factory. I am riding on mild off road tread 10 ply @40 psi. Before you jump on tires and 10 ply, let me say that my friend's truck has almost the same tires @ 50 psi. [The "chalk test" shows 40 psi is what my tires should be inflated to for proper tread wear.]

My thoughts are two-fold. first are shocks, the rear I can easily move so they are worn out, the front ones are still strong, but still have 130k miles from factory new. [FWIW the truck has never hauled/towed any load heavier than a golf cart!:eek:] So what shocks would you recommend?

There is only about 2" clearance from the spring on the front axle to the rebound rubber.
I'm thinking of weak springs.....solution?

Quick 'n dirty thoughts are to cut the rebound rubber [snubber?], but the sane side of me says that will only cause a worse ride and break parts.....so...what if I were to remove all but the main leaf and install an air bag from the spring to the chassis? I personally have no qualms about a lift kit, but the wife goes with me quite often and she needs a small ladder to get into it now [knee problems] so a lift kit is out. My thought on air bags is not only a smoother ride but the ability to 'kneel' to make it easier for her entry and exit.

Any thoughts ideas are welcome, especially from those who have travelled this road before me.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I found the Bilsteins ride real nice. I have had one go bad, but there's a lifetime warranty through the factory on the things, so It's getting replaced right now( that said, it's the first time I've EVER had a Bilstein go bad, and I've had Mercedes with 25 year old factory Bilsteins that still handled and rode like new )

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard lots good about Bilsteins. My dads F350 (in sig) has Monroe Sensa-trac shocks and it rides quite nice I think. It may or may not have anything to do with the wheelbase:dunno After driving his, I now cringe thinking about how my Dodge rides.
Travis..

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Dealing with Bilstein is kind of nice. When I called them about the bad shock, they told me to send both rears in. They don't guess, they put them on a shock dynamometer and test each one, and they emailed me today to let me know that they found one of them out of spec and are sending a fresh one . So I know exactly why my truck picked up an axle hop and don't have anything left to guessing. Beats using the hit and miss method ;Sweet

I'll be glad to have it back to normal. Those Bilsteins ride very nice. I have no disks left in my spine, so I can't take getting bounced around the way most shocks for a 1 ton are made. Those things ride nice empty and still handle great with the 5er hooked up running the mountain roads ;Sweet